E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Front end shake under acceleration

Old 02-19-2017, 01:39 PM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E61
Model Year: 2009
Engine: N54
Question Front end shake under acceleration

I am trying to resolve this issue with my front end shake only under acceleration and between 35mph - 65mph range. I replaced my tension trust arms as they were recommened to be replaced by the delaer and got new non RFTs installed as well, but the vibration still persists. I am going to get an alignment done tomorrow, meanwhile would like to know if you guys have any input. Saw many posts relating tot his issue, but everyone has this issue in different scenarios.

I am doubting my axles as well as this is happening only during acceleration and hard braking at parking lot speeds.

I am more leaning towards rims not being true as I have hit few pot holes on the freeway with RFTs at freeway speeds. After alignment I might take the car to tires shop to get rechecked. I heard that one should use proper hub centric bore adapter while balancing, is there anything else to it?

thanks

Last edited by pavjayt; 02-20-2017 at 09:31 AM.
Old 02-22-2017, 04:53 AM
New Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 535xi touring
Model Year: 2008

Does the vibration depend on speed? Faster vibration at higher speeds?
Old 02-22-2017, 05:58 AM
New Members

The vibration is about the same but depends on how much I press the accelerator.
Old 02-22-2017, 06:33 AM
New Members

Any codes? Could be a misfire. How many miles on the car? Auto or manual?
Old 02-22-2017, 07:34 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by Mrmandmman
Any codes? Could be a misfire. How many miles on the car? Auto or manual?
I don't see any CEL on the dashboard. So not sure if there are any codes not associated with CEL. It has about 98K on it and its an Auto.

If its a misfire, wouldn't that happen when you give gas at idle (which I am not seeing happening when idle)?

thanks
Old 02-22-2017, 07:57 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by pavjayt
I don't see any CEL on the dashboard. So not sure if there are any codes not associated with CEL. It has about 98K on it and its an Auto.

If its a misfire, wouldn't that happen when you give gas at idle (which I am not seeing happening when idle)?

thanks
Misfire is most likely during hard acceleration, but I did see you say it happens during low speed braking as well? So that would not point towards an engine issue. That is probably a suspension/bushing/axle issue. Non-speed dependent probably rules out the axles. Rims would probably be speed dependent. Same if you had wheel bearing issue.

I would look at these: tie rod ends, front (front) lower control arm bushings, front (rear) lower control arm bushings, strut mounts.

What does RFT stand for? (.... figured it out, non-run flat tires)
Old 02-22-2017, 08:01 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by Mrmandmman
Misfire is most likely during hard acceleration, but I did see you say it happens during low speed braking as well? So that would not point towards an engine issue. That is probably a suspension/bushing/axle issue. Non-speed dependent probably rules out the axles. Rims would probably be speed dependent. Same if you had wheel bearing issue.

I would look at these: tie rod ends, front (front) lower control arm bushings, front (rear) lower control arm bushings, strut mounts.

What does RFT stand for? (.... figured it out, non-run flat tires)
RFT = Run Flat Tires
I replaced the front (front) lower control arms last weekend. I don't see any play in the wheel when jacked up. I may replace the front (rear) control arms as well as in normal maintenance due to the mileage.

Search this Thread