E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

First BMW, found a Unicorn

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2014, 06:52 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2010 Manual E61
Default First BMW, found a Unicorn

Sep 2013...

So, having driven a tuned 6MT 04 Allroad for 7 years and a tuned 5MT A4 for 6 years before that, it came time to find a replacement full size sport wagon (preferably AWD) with a Manual transmission and forced induction.

Well Crap, us here in the US are screwed and Audi is now out of the picture, what are my options.... hmmm.. they made the E61 with a 6MT, not many of them but I have time to look....

March 2014...

Heading to Boston on Business in 2 weeks and I find a 2008 6MT for sale in Coventry, CN... Damn, to late already spoken for....

1 week later, post on our audi club board... mnaudi.com that a 2008 6MT is for sale locally on Craigslist... Damn, only missed that one by 5 hours...*grumble*

arrive in Boston and conduct my nightly search... Whoa... 2010 6MT in Wakefield... 20 miles away from the Hotel!!!!! Call for info... Hey still available but lots of interest...Make appoinment for test drive... higher milage and not all the high end options, but the important ones, Sport package (track days at BIR), Winter Package (home is MN), sport seats, Professional Nav, etc. First one to show up to give it a thrashing...

Return with HUGE grin on face... put money down and head to the airport, car was so new at dealer that title was not available to complete sale....

Flying in next week to take posession and drive the baby home... now to learn all I can about the "enemy" Thank god my shop tunes and works on both BMW's and Audi's.

There will be many a question coming I am sure but the first thing I will be doing will likely be Cobb and summer wheels and rubber.. the Stock 17's and All seasons just won't do.
Old 04-10-2014, 08:15 PM
New Members

My Ride: 530xit

Congratulations on your purchase. I would have liked an MT, but I only found two for sale on cars.com and autotrader.com when I was looking. And that was two throughout the entire country. Post some pictures when you get a chance.
Old 04-10-2014, 09:15 PM
New Members

My Ride: Miata Starion Forester

Nice! What color? When I looked last night I found a green, blue and last week there was that sand color one as well!
Old 04-22-2014, 10:42 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535xiT6
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by sFfalenn
... higher milage and not all the high end options, but the important ones, Sport package (track days at BIR), Winter Package (home is MN), sport seats, Professional Nav, etc.
FYI, there is nothing relating to "track days" in the factory sport package. It is only aesthetic/trim items on the E61 (visually apparent from a distance by seeing the black window trim).

If you are serious about enjoying BIR, Cobb is not going to be worth nearly as much as sway bars and other handling items. If I were to do it over, the ecu tune would be much later on the list.

If yours is in fact higher mileage, you might also consider new dampers before the ecu software.

Have fun, it's a nice car!

Last edited by norsecarnut; 04-22-2014 at 10:47 PM.