E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

E61 won't start

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2023, 10:35 AM
New Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 530D Touring M Sport manual
Model Year: 2008
Default E61 won't start

I have a 2008 530d e61 which has a flat battery and when I jumpstart it it spins no problem but still won't start. its coming up with code 4A63 EWS Manipulering incorrect random code. anybody got any ideas. thanks Paneuro.
Old 04-21-2023, 02:47 PM
Super Moderator

Received 311 Likes on 298 Posts
My Ride: 05 530i M54
Model Year: 05 530i
Engine: 3.0 M54

Yes fix the battery and code it. You may have an EWS issue now but you will not know that until you fix the initial issue
Old 05-02-2023, 01:31 PM
New Members

Hi, Sean can this be caused by a low voltage battery? The battery on my car was a bit lazy and I suspected the battery was the problem. It was three years old but had a five year warranty. I took it back to the supplier and they tested it and said it was good but needed a charge. I had started it and driven it 6 miles to their shop so it had some charge in it from the alternator. The reading was 5.68 EN on their testing machine and they said it was still over the parameters where they could replace it. it failed completely around 2 weeks later. I had home start with Green Flag breakdown and they came out and tried to jumpstart it from the points under the bonnet but it refused to start. They plugged in their diagnostic tool and it was giving a fault code 4A63 EWS Manipulering Incorrect Random code .I phoned the shop and told them and they said remove the battery and bring it in and they would replace it. I did this and they lifted the battery out of the boot of my wife's car and without any testing whatsoever carried a new battery out to my car. I told the manager that had they given me a new battery when they tested it and not waited until it completely failed the problem would never have happened.
Paneuro.
Old 05-02-2023, 06:16 PM
Super Moderator

It was 100% caused by the battery issue you were having. Now you have to correct it. I don't know if you have INPA but you can use it to realign the DDE and CAS. If not you can get a Foxwell 510 Elite (BMW version) to perform what needs to be done. Sadly you're dead in the water until you do this. Once you calibrate the system you need to program the new battery.
Old 05-06-2023, 05:22 AM
New Members

Hi Sean, thanks for that information. The car is now with the BMW dealer who charges £168.00 GBP to plug it in to their diagnostic equipment and the same charge per hour thereafter. I have given them the error code which I saw on the breakdown peoples diagnostic equipment as I would like to make the battery supplier pay for any expense incurred, but I'm not sure if the BMW dealer will commit this cause to paper. Is there anywhere this code is listed as the cause of my problem so I could at least be armed with some sort of leverage. I know they will try and disassociate themselves with this if possible, so the more info about this i have the better.
Thanks Paneuro.
Old 05-06-2023, 05:50 AM
Super Moderator

That's hard to say honestly as this can be cause by any number of things. Dealerships hardly know how to properly troubleshoot and do thing with process of elimination pushing the cost to the customer until they find the correct solution. If you explained to your SA that it was having a battery issue and once the battery was replaced and coded the car wouldn't start they more than likely will put on the write up that a faulty battery caused the issue. They will put what you want on it within reason. The issue would be if the company that sold you the battery will take ownership it pay out for the inconvenience.
Old 05-06-2023, 06:13 AM
New Members

Hi Sean, thanks for the information, I will let you know how it pans out but if they don't pay for it I think I will take legal advice. Thanks Paneuro.
Old 05-06-2023, 07:21 AM
Super Moderator

You have to think about it. Did you follow proper procedures when replacing the battery. That means code the new battery size (if the size changed) and program the new battery. If you did not then you will lose the fight. If you did then you have a good chance on recovering your money.
Old 05-06-2023, 11:39 AM
New Members

Hi Sean, re the new battery. I removed the flat battery and took it to the battery shop and picked up the new one, I then installed the new battery but the shop were sending out one of their so called experts so I let him connect the battery and he coded it while he was there. It still wouldn't start and he could not find any faults on his diagnostic tool after phoning his boss several times, He then handed me the phone and his boss said it would need to go to a garage. P.S. It is the identical battery to the one that has been starting it for the last three years. Also when I changed the battery three years ago I made doubly sure it was the proper spec and I coded it myself with the dreaded Carly.
thanks Paneuro.
Old 05-10-2023, 02:02 AM
New Members

Hi guys, I have now got the car back from BMW and all seems well, I Just have to get the battery supplier to reimburse me for the cost of repairing it. The cause was as expected and I will keep you posted on the outcome, it may have to go to small claims. thanks Paneuro.

Quick Reply: E61 won't start