E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

E61 Water leak in boot!

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 02:41 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guys I wonder if anyone has come across water leaking down the inside of the right side rear pillar trim, and dripping into the battery cover tray. Could it be linked to the panoramic sunroof? Or ingress from the roof gutters? How do you get hold of a screw driver to fit the star headed screws, as I cant even get the plasctic trim off to try and trace the leak!

On a seperate note I'm looking for a second hand rear suspension compressor as I have the dreaded tail droop! Compressor seems to be working but not to the required pressure. Many thanks.
Old 02-16-2010, 03:12 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 530d M-Sport TouringExterior: Titansilber Metallic, M5 mirrors, ACS rear roof spoiler, BMW Carbon Fiber rear diffuser, Adaptive Xenon headlights, AngeliBright v.3 Angel Eyes, F1 Autohaus Euphoria 6000K LED license plate lightsInterior: Black

Welcome to the forums.

These are two topics that have been heavily discussed here.

It sounds like the drain tubes for your sunroof are blocked, and the hose to your compressor is shot. The hose failure allowed dirt to be sucked into the compressor, and now it is burned out. You will need to buy a new one...

Search the E61 forum for more information about both of these subjects. We have beaten them to death.
Old 02-16-2010, 11:52 AM
Members

Many thanks. I will follow the leads. On my rear pillars I have star headed screws. Do I need a special tool to undo them? Its the only thing stopping me from dropping the roof linning as you describe. Other than the water leaks and the air suspension compressor are there any other nightmares on the horizon for a 2004 E61?
Old 02-16-2010, 12:57 PM
Members

My Ride: 07' 535D E61... no toys except media pack and vis pack

The rear pillar trims are secured with I think 3 or 4 torx screws each side. I think it's a T20 though not 100% on the size. Halfords or similar will have sets of torx drivers available to allow you to proceed.
Old 02-17-2010, 04:38 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 530d M-Sport TouringExterior: Titansilber Metallic, M5 mirrors, ACS rear roof spoiler, BMW Carbon Fiber rear diffuser, Adaptive Xenon headlights, AngeliBright v.3 Angel Eyes, F1 Autohaus Euphoria 6000K LED license plate lightsInterior: Black

Originally Posted by Admbeatie
Many thanks. I will follow the leads. On my rear pillars I have star headed screws. Do I need a special tool to undo them? Its the only thing stopping me from dropping the roof linning as you describe. Other than the water leaks and the air suspension compressor are there any other nightmares on the horizon for a 2004 E61?
To get at the drain tubes for the sunroof (and to "clean" them), you must remove the rear bumper.

Someone from Ireland posted a DIY for cleaning the tubes. I believe that it is here somewhere.

As for the 2004 E61, is yours an oil burner, or gasoline engine? If it is a diesel, there can be issues with the swirl flaps (search here and in the E60 forum) and if it is the 530d, there are also issues with the exhaust manifold.

Start a new thread and ask what horrors other owners have had!
Old 02-17-2010, 07:16 AM
Contributors

FAO the OP:

New post about this here:

https://5series.net/forums/topic/940...st__p__1112864
Old 02-17-2010, 07:46 AM
Members

My Ride: E61 545i Sport Touring

When I had my water leak from sunroof I found that the drains at the rear could have been blocked. They have what I call 'florets' fitted to the end of the pipes which I suppose prevent dirt going in, but can also get a build up of dirt going out. I found that you can reach the one by the rear silencer and give it a squeeze to open the floret and any dirt will exit. The one on the other side is accessible when the compressor cover is removed and can be reached up high inside the bumper. Good chance for those who haven't seen their compressors yet to check inlet hose. The front drain hoses didn't have florets and seemed to be clear.

Open the sunroof and pour water gently from watering can into the side drains. If the car is level, water should be seen exiting both sides between the gap between front doors and wings, and back bumper behind wheels. I found that it was wise to close the inner sunroof panel when it is raining. It seems that the drains can only cope with a certain amount of water and it can backup and overflow into the car. I sometimes wish my car didn't have a sunroof - it used to be an option for that or aircon and I rather have aircon.

I took my car to Sytners about this problem and they couldn't find anything wrong (this was after I had done the work previously described). Try not to let water build up as it finds its way into the 'spare wheel well' where there are a lot of sensitive elctronic modules, not to mention all the fuses etc above the battery.

I wouldn't recommend removing the trim, this won't achieve anything - the water is coming from the sunroof side channels and overflowing onto the top of the headliner.

I hardly dare mention another nightmare (it makes me feel ill thinking about it so I try not to) - tail gate wiring fracture due to fatigue where it enters the car roof space wher the hinges are. This has been another major talking point on this forum.
Old 02-17-2010, 09:39 AM
Members

Guys many thanks for your information. I will be following these up. If I come across anything of intrest I will be sure to post it. All the very best, fingers crossed no tailgate wiring frature!