E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

E61 525D poor economy and running cool

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2015, 10:53 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 525d M-Sport Auto
Default E61 525D poor economy and running cool

Hi folks,

I'm new to the forum, signed up to seek and share advice.

I bought a 525d a month or so ago and have been doing some experiments with temperatures and think I've got some issues.

I have had the car remapped to 210, swirl flaps deleted, EGR deleted and DPF deleted (all in the ecu) but I've also cut open, removed the DPF brick and re-welded.

The car was running at 75DegC so I changed the EGR thermostat, turned out the old one was stuck open (I can blow through it) jackpot, or so I thought!
The car then achieved 80DegC only so I bought the main thermostat and changed it, this was not stuck open as such but must have been opening early.. Anyway, changing the stat for a new one has made it worse!! Now it runs at 60DegC. I'm contemplating putting the old one back on.

I get 26mpg actuall average from tank to tank and I'm only pussy footing around.

Anyone got any constructive advice on the stat issue?
What fuel economy are people getting in 525d auto's?

Many thanks,

Phil
Old 03-10-2015, 06:22 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 530i

Originally Posted by BEZ101
Hi folks,

I'm new to the forum, signed up to seek and share advice.

I bought a 525d a month or so ago and have been doing some experiments with temperatures and think I've got some issues.

I have had the car remapped to 210, swirl flaps deleted, EGR deleted and DPF deleted (all in the ecu) but I've also cut open, removed the DPF brick and re-welded.

The car was running at 75DegC so I changed the EGR thermostat, turned out the old one was stuck open (I can blow through it) jackpot, or so I thought!
The car then achieved 80DegC only so I bought the main thermostat and changed it, this was not stuck open as such but must have been opening early.. Anyway, changing the stat for a new one has made it worse!! Now it runs at 60DegC. I'm contemplating putting the old one back on.

I get 26mpg actuall average from tank to tank and I'm only pussy footing around.

Anyone got any constructive advice on the stat issue?
What fuel economy are people getting in 525d auto's?

Many thanks,

Phil
Where did you buy the thermostat? There is a lot of knockoffs out there. I only buy stuff like thermostats from the dealer. I've bought crap thermostats from supposedly reliable websites like ecstuning.com that were opening early and leaking.