5Series.net - Forums

5Series.net - Forums (https://5series.net/forums/)
-   E61 Touring Discussion (https://5series.net/forums/e61-touring-discussion-4/)
-   -   E60 Sport Wagon vs. Volvo V70R Wagon (https://5series.net/forums/e61-touring-discussion-4/e60-sport-wagon-vs-volvo-v70r-wagon-23353/)

kurjan 03-13-2006 07:29 PM

I've pretty much decided to buy an E61 wagon, but some folks have suggested I consider the Volvo V70R wagon. (The "R" designates Volvo's sportier, higher priced models - quite different from the mainstream V70.)

Has anyone compared the two cars directly?

-How do the handling, ride, and other aspects of the driving experience compare?

-What about relative reliability?

-Other selection criteria?

All feedback appreciated.

E60Sim 03-14-2006 04:25 AM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by kurjan' post='254511' date='Mar 14 2006, 05:29 AM
I've pretty much decided to buy an E61 wagon, but some folks have suggested I consider the Volvo V70R wagon. (The "R" designates Volvo's sportier, higher priced models - quite different from the mainstream V70.)

-How do the handling, ride, and other aspects of the driving experience compare?

I've driven the new V70 R with 4 wheel drive and 300 horse power! For the first time Volvo gets really close to the word "Ultimate driving machine"... the handling is very good, and you can adjust the suspension, from "Comfort", "Sport" and to Advance... In Sport-mode the cars drives like a BMW, in comfort it's a Volvo, and in advance it's too hard..

The engine is nice, but the there is no power at all under 3000 rpm's. When the turbo kicks in, the power is awsome. The problem is the car is pretty booring to drive because of the engine.. You gotta drive it fast and hard to get the fun out of it...

The Volvo looks older than the BMW inside, and I miss the Idrive in the Volvo. The Volvo did have a better navigation system than BMW Prof. nav.

To sum up:

The Volvo is a great car, but the BMW is better! Buy a BMW 535dA Touring with M-package and you will be more than happy :whistle: :thumbsup:

KAF 03-14-2006 07:00 AM

Not foolproof but
http://www.reliabilityindex.co.uk/man_inde...128339010848601

Shows Volvo reliabilty to be noticeably less than BMW and repair costs to be higher.

needforspeed 03-14-2006 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by kurjan' post='254511' date='Mar 14 2006, 04:29 AM

My recent purchase decision came down to a choice between a V70 D5 SE and a 530d.

Not quite the same as your choice, but .... the V70 D5 is generally held to be the pick of the range and less flawed than the 'r' models.

In short I got the 530d cause:

1. Volvo (in the UK) is an old mans car
2. I thought I would always regret being sensible and buying the cheaper car
3. I think the 530d will still have more retained value in 3 years / 100,000 miles time
4. BMW is RWD Volvo is FWD this is reflected in the extremely rapid tyre wear in the volvo.

The v70 is a lovely car and a fine drive, but not in the same league as the e60.

As I said to the Volvo dealer - this might view might have changed if only Volvo made a more powerful diesel model.

Clearly you specifically want a wagon, so the practicalities are more important, but the Volvo doesn't do anything the BMW can't.

tcoz 03-14-2006 08:13 AM

530d isn't available in the US, but my 530xiT is the best car I've ever owned. I think it's better looking than the Volvo, both inside and out and the power comes on from about 2500 rpm as opposed to waiting for the turbo to kick in.

A guy I talk to at the local Starbucks has a v70R which he likes, but isn't overwhelmed with. He hasn't driven mine, but really likes what he sees and said he would likely have preferred the BMW had he known it was available.

wales34part 03-15-2006 05:51 AM

I test drove the V70 (d5 model) around 2 years ago

Plus points:
Very comfy seats
Nice quality leather far better than BMW standard leather.
Good sized cargo area maybe a little low in terms of height
Price - ?5k discount not a problem (UK)

Bad points
Wind noise around windscreen and doors
A bit cramped in the back e61 is much better
Steering not as direct as BMW
Dash didnt look high quality although i think the range had a facelift last year.
Now near the end of its life cycle

It wasnt a bad car it just didnt cut the mustard for me and with those big discounts available residuals may be a bit week in the future. (UK market) I actually drove the XC90 too and that was suprising very good - shame about the 1000kg excess baggage otherwise i may have been tempted.

needforspeed 03-15-2006 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by wales34part' post='255118' date='Mar 15 2006, 02:51 PM
I actually drove the XC90 too and that was suprising very good - shame about the 1000kg excess baggage otherwise i may have been tempted.

XC90 - now that's a nice family car.

If only Volvo made it with a more powerful diesel engine I think that might have been the car to tempt me away from BMW.

As it is the OLD d5 engine just isn't powerful enough for the car (IMO) and the residual values being incredibly strong (generally a good thing I know) meant that I couldn't afford a slightly used one!

Robert J 03-15-2006 10:41 AM

The new D5 is a realy nice engine. It only have one spinner so after testing a 535d you really feel that the D5 is a turbo charger. I tested the D5 with Geartronic and it was not that good combination in the snow and ice here in Sweden. With 4wd I can imagine that it's a quite good pack and not that bad in the snow and ice. But with FWD only it will just eat tyres and wave with the fronts when you start to use the power.

new-kid 03-15-2006 01:22 PM

The V70 is a decent car, and very practical estate - but very long in the tooth now

I am not a particular BMW fan - but ruled out the V70 fairly early

albmag 03-16-2006 01:37 PM

Please guys, lets not forget the fact that the E61 was really a completely new car launched in May-2004 :cool:.
While the current version of the V70 is a car which was launched in Sep-2000 :think:, being itself more of a "re-launch" (or a big "re-styling" if you prefer) of the old V70 :nono:, which was itself not much more than a 850 Van (from 1993...) restyling itself :blink:.
The Difference are 11 years of pure Engineering ... :devil:
Its not called "The ultimate driving machine!" just by accident... :wow:

For sure that will pay off, in limit, in 10 years time when we'll try to re-sale our cars...

Curious that I've also passed through this "decision-path" when I've purchased my car: BMW E61 vs. new A6 vs. V70 D5... And clearly the choice order was this, and the main reason why Volvo got so much behind had a lot to do with its so much "dej? vu" styling... :geek: