E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

E60/61 retrofit rear-view camera on Ebay...

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 01:23 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guys, I saw this retrofit kit on ebay today: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-Genuine...5fAudioQ5fVideo

Does anyone have experience with this or a similar product? I am mostly interested in two things:

1) Where is the camera being fitted on a E61 - inside the rear window or somewhere above the number plate?

2) What happens with the PDC graphic when one switches to reverse - I guess one can either see the rear view from the camera OR the PDC graphic? Or do they get combined in some way on the screen?

Thanks
Old 09-07-2009, 04:34 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

All I can say it dont buy the OEM camera. Its way too much money for the function. Also look for something that has the IR lights because otherwise the camera is useless at night.

PDC image is replaced by the back-up camera image.
Old 09-07-2009, 06:03 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='1000695' date='Sep 7 2009, 12:34 PM
All I can say it dont buy the OEM camera. Its way too much money for the function. Also look for something that has the IR lights because otherwise the camera is useless at night.

PDC image is replaced by the back-up camera image.
thanks Bruce!

on the PDC picture - this is what I feared and if I have to choose between both, I would prefer to keep the PDC

and on the price - you are right, I was curious on how the camera works, and it would be cool to have it, but $1,100 for this plus installation is certainly too much
Old 09-16-2009, 05:44 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mmitev' post='1000755' date='Sep 7 2009, 03:03 PM
thanks Bruce!

on the PDC picture - this is what I feared and if I have to choose between both, I would prefer to keep the PDC

and on the price - you are right, I was curious on how the camera works, and it would be cool to have it, but $1,100 for this plus installation is certainly too much

TOTALLY AGREED! dont do it..
Old 09-24-2009, 11:46 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Black BMW 525i Touring

I dont agree guys.. I installed the camera as my car has no PDC and my wife is driving it 90% of the time.

I am always surprised how much you see on the screen when you reverse when it is dark. It must be the reversing lights that provide enough light to use the camera in the dark.

My $0,02