E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

DPF problem?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 05:34 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535D E61 Sport Touring, fully loaded.

Am new to this site - got a 535D 2005 last week with only 20K miles! car had spent its life in London and not been excercised much on the motorways. Car performace was totally gutless and weak, took it to BMW dealers who diagnosed a clogged DPF (probably as I had no warning lights whatsoever!). The put the car in "active regeneration mode" and I was asked to take the car out at constant speed keeping about about 2500rpm. I have spent 2 days doing this averaging about 55 miles drive. The performance has improved but is still way short of what it should - car struggles to get above 70 mph and when it does get up a good head of speed at 85-90 it seems to have no more power left to go further.

How long would this regeneration typically take? I would be interested if anyone has had similar problems and any advice welcome.

many thanks
Jay
Old 12-10-2010, 05:53 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 530d M-Sport TouringExterior: Titansilber Metallic, M5 mirrors, ACS rear roof spoiler, BMW Carbon Fiber rear diffuser, Adaptive Xenon headlights, AngeliBright v.3 Angel Eyes, F1 Autohaus Euphoria 6000K LED license plate lightsInterior: Black

Welcome to the forums and congratulations on your E61 535d!

Please have a look at this post and follow the link that Antti has underlined in post #2:

https://5series.net/forums/topic/107002-error-code-dpf/

Cleaning out your evil DPF will be a lot cheaper than replacing it.
Old 12-10-2010, 06:02 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Patrick E61
Welcome to the forums and congratulations on your E61 535d!

Please have a look at this post and follow the link that Antti has underlined in post #2:

https://5series.net/forums/topic/107002-error-code-dpf/

Cleaning out your evil DPF will be a lot cheaper than replacing it.
Thanks Patrick was just reading that post. I'm not as tecchy as Antti so am looking to see first if this regen will work given a few more runs on the motorway. I did ask the BMW dealer about cleaning out the DPF but they told me not possible. I will see how I get on.

cheers
Jay
Old 12-10-2010, 06:09 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 530d M-Sport TouringExterior: Titansilber Metallic, M5 mirrors, ACS rear roof spoiler, BMW Carbon Fiber rear diffuser, Adaptive Xenon headlights, AngeliBright v.3 Angel Eyes, F1 Autohaus Euphoria 6000K LED license plate lightsInterior: Black

Originally Posted by jay 535d
Thanks Patrick was just reading that post. I'm not as tecchy as Antti so am looking to see first if this regen will work given a few more runs on the motorway. I did ask the BMW dealer about cleaning out the DPF but they told me not possible. I will see how I get on.

cheers
Jay
Yes, Antti is quite famous for his radical DIY tricks.

And of course BMW would tell you that you cannot clean out the DPF... they would rather sell you a new one.

Perhaps you can find an independent shop, show them Antti's thread, and ask if they are interested to do it. Your DPF cannot be dead after 20,000 miles.

Or send Clarkson an e-mail, and ask if you use the track at Dunsfold for a day. Just drive up and down the run way at high speed, and blow all of that crap out of the DPF!
Old 12-13-2010, 10:31 AM
Members

If I suspected the DPF as the hurdle and the reason for ruining your first virgin weeks with a 535d, I would not hesitate a replacement (new or refurbished swap) or doing a cleaing myself based on Anzafin superb DIY. Especially love his highly sophisticated DPF drying unit
Old 12-14-2010, 07:44 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 E61 M5, 1989 Z1

There are a series of vacuum hoses under the acoustic cover that control the turbocharger waste gates and the valve that distributes exhaust gases between the two turbos. They can perish over time from the heat. If it were my car I would do the following:

check the engine operating temperature using the hidden OBC menu to ensure it was getting up to temp
temporarily attach a boost gauge to confirm that both turbos are contributing.
check over the vacuum lines to ensure they're all secure and intact

rather than expressing it in road speed can you describe the car's performance at different engine speeds? The car should lunge off the line because the small turbo kicks in very early. At perhaps 2000 rpm the large turbo starts to come into play and by perhaps 2600 rpm the large turbo is doing all the work. I had an issue a couple of years ago where a broken vacuum hose prevented the small turbo from contributing so that car was a dog until 2500 rpm and then it took off like a scalded cat. Perhaps you have the opposite problem? I don't think the ECU has any info on what the turbos are doing so if there's wastegate or exhaust gas distribution issue the ECU won't trigger a fault code.

Good luck; please report back on how things progress.
Old 12-14-2010, 09:58 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

Hi and welcome to the forums jay 535d!

I just noticed this thread and I want to encourage you... You will get your car fixed and you will be amazed how well it performs !

Phelix has a point, it can be the damaged vacuum hoses, but as you've already got the error codes read, it seems it is your DPF that sure is clogged.

Your DPF locates under your car and is quite easily accessible. Only the attaching bolts may be tricky to reach.
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...78&hg=18&fg=10

Your mechanic has done the right thing; trying to force the regeneration on. When regeneration activates (forced or naturally started), it takes about 15-30 mins to get through. Some people say they can hear the regeneration as a low humming noise coming from the exhaust when accelerating. I can clearly hear mine. You can also easily smell it if stepping out of the car while it's on. I can notice the coolant temp also getting hotter up to 89-93°C when the regeneration is on.

However, there are few rules programmed into the car that have to be fulfilled before the regeneration will start (again, forced or natural). The rules are, that the coolant temperature has to be at least 75°C, the exhaust gases must be at least 240°C and there has to be at least 10 liters of diesel in a tank. You can check the coolant temp in a "hidden" menu. Here's the instructions to open the menu.

If the DPF is too clogged, it may be that even a forced regeneration doesn't start, even if the rules fulfill. In this case, your choices are:
1) Wash the DPF
2) Cut the DPF open and rip the DPF cells off
3) Replace the DPF with a straight pipe
4) Try to get some manufacturer's cleaner fluid (like Tunap for example)
4) Buy a new DPF

In choices 2 and 3, your car will be in need of reprogramming. The regeneration process has to be removed from the ECU. Choice 4 is something I would like to try myself as well, but I have my doubts about it's effect in a strongly clogged DPF.

I know you will get the problem fixed. Let us know!

- Antti -
Old 12-14-2010, 11:14 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Anzafin
Hi and welcome to the forums jay 535d!

I just noticed this thread and I want to encourage you... You will get your car fixed and you will be amazed how well it performs !

Phelix has a point, it can be the damaged vacuum hoses, but as you've already got the error codes read, it seems it is your DPF that sure is clogged.

Your DPF locates under your car and is quite easily accessible. Only the attaching bolts may be tricky to reach.
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...78&hg=18&fg=10

Your mechanic has done the right thing; trying to force the regeneration on. When regeneration activates (forced or naturally started), it takes about 15-30 mins to get through. Some people say they can hear the regeneration as a low humming noise coming from the exhaust when accelerating. I can clearly hear mine. You can also easily smell it if stepping out of the car while it's on. I can notice the coolant temp also getting hotter up to 89-93°C when the regeneration is on.

However, there are few rules programmed into the car that have to be fulfilled before the regeneration will start (again, forced or natural). The rules are, that the coolant temperature has to be at least 75°C, the exhaust gases must be at least 240°C and there has to be at least 10 liters of diesel in a tank. You can check the coolant temp in a "hidden" menu. Here's the instructions to open the menu.

If the DPF is too clogged, it may be that even a forced regeneration doesn't start, even if the rules fulfill. In this case, your choices are:
1) Wash the DPF
2) Cut the DPF open and rip the DPF cells off
3) Replace the DPF with a straight pipe
4) Try to get some manufacturer's cleaner fluid (like Tunap for example)
4) Buy a new DPF

In choices 2 and 3, your car will be in need of reprogramming. The regeneration process has to be removed from the ECU. Choice 4 is something I would like to try myself as well, but I have my doubts about it's effect in a strongly clogged DPF.

I know you will get the problem fixed. Let us know!

- Antti -
Thank you all for your comments - I have done a 160 mile trip today giving the car yet another chance to clear out DPF but its still not quite there. I have had a week or so of giving car a good run on motorway stretches and I can now only conclude that more drastic action is required. I dont think it does the engine any favours by continuing this blow out routine. Taking car to BMW this week to get codes read to make sure all is ok before deciding next course of action which is seeming more and more like getting the parasitic DPF out! Stay tuned more to follow and once again many thanks for taking time to help me out.
Old 12-15-2010, 05:41 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 E61 M5, 1989 Z1

Curious - did the dealer diagnose the clogged DPF via fault codes or as an educated guess?
Old 12-15-2010, 06:23 AM
Members

Originally Posted by phelix
Curious - did the dealer diagnose the clogged DPF via fault codes or as an educated guess?
I think the dealer did it via process of elimination but I have had it checked by an independant today and he confirmed that the fault codes were pointing to the PDF since many of the codes were indicating various elevated back pressures etc..In there experience if the filter has not cleared with one active regen its very unlikely a second one will do much. So its eith replace or remove it. I was shown where the DPF is in my car and its not easily accessible and would be a major job definitely nothing I could handle.

Quick Reply: DPF problem?