E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Is this a dog guard?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 01:14 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lotus99
Hi Stu, I was wondering, do you have a regular sunroof, or a panoramic sunroof? I think in Europe cars could come with either type, whereas here, only the Panoramic sunroof was available.
Hi,
I have the large panoramic sunroof, the one with two sections.
Stu
Old 05-24-2011, 05:09 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2010 535 xi - M Sport Pkg & other goodies

That's good news, in that it would work for me then! Bad news is that I can't find one! LOL! I looked even on the BMW UK Accessories website, thinking I can get one from there somehow, and nothing's listed. How odd...

If you do see a part number on it somewhere, that would be cool if you get it for me.

The MasterLine one - which does fit with the Panoramic sunroof - I found on Ebay, but it's going to cost me $300 US new... Ouch.

I'm not in a big rush right now, so I'll keep my eyes peeled on Ebay UK, in case another shows up, otherwise, I'll hit up the MasterLine one.
Old 05-27-2011, 09:52 AM
Senior Members

Hey, this came up on Ebay. Do you think it might work for my car with the Pano sunroof?

I'll ask the seller if he can spot a part number on it...

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150610786586
Old 05-31-2011, 01:09 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Lotus99
Hey, this came up on Ebay. Do you think it might work for my car with the Pano sunroof?

I'll ask the seller if he can spot a part number on it...

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...m=150610786586
Hi Lotus

Thats the same as mine, but the pic doesnt show the two connecting brackets (the second of my pics show this). Would be worth asking if they are included.

Stu

Oh sorry, just realised its already ended!
Old 05-31-2011, 01:16 PM
Senior Members

Hi Stu, the guy you bought yours from replied to me saying the part number is 51472158257, which when I search for it, shows up a few times on some German sites as a dog guard, so considering you've confirmed it works with the Pano sunroof, I'll try to find one with that part number now.

But I also came across one posted on Ebay for sale in the UK, which has a different part number, and is ALSO a BMW dog guard for the E61. I've seen it in the British Accessories brochure, part # 95010000021. So I'm confused what's the difference between them, and if the second one maybe doesn't fit a car with the Pano sunroof, or what.

I'll try to call a UK dealer parts dept. maybe and ask them what they can tell me about these, or if you happen to be able to maybe shoot off an email and ask, that would be really cool (I don't want to trouble you!)

It'd be nice if I can find a used one to avoid paying $300 for a new one from Masterline.
Old 07-04-2011, 04:25 AM
Members

My Ride: BMW E61 530xd 2007 LCI Touring

as a dog owner what can advise:

a) it is not very easy to drive with this dog guard as you have cells in the back mirrow
b) not quick to remove
c) not cheap

My solution was to buy a short dog lead and attach it to the metal loop you have in the boot. When my dog jump into the car I plug his collar to this lead. He is not able to jump in the saloon and on the other hand he can lie any way he likes in the boot.
If you want can make you a photo.
Old 07-04-2011, 10:22 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by julich
as a dog owner what can advise:

a) it is not very easy to drive with this dog guard as you have cells in the back mirrow
b) not quick to remove
c) not cheap

My solution was to buy a short dog lead and attach it to the metal loop you have in the boot. When my dog jump into the car I plug his collar to this lead. He is not able to jump in the saloon and on the other hand he can lie any way he likes in the boot.
If you want can make you a photo.
Hmmm... That's a very unique solution! I haven't bought the metal guard yet, but was getting close to doing so, as currently I've got our dog in a metal wire crate, but she's getting too big for it soon.

I'd love to see a picture if you can. How many meters/feet would you say the dog lead is?

By metal loop, I guess you mean one of the four corner ones on the trunk floor? Which one are you using? (By the door or the back seat)
Old 08-03-2011, 11:15 AM
Members

With that frequent use of the tailgate, beware of breaking in the wire harniss....
I am using side back door to let my dog out. Laying down the smallest seat..
Old 08-03-2011, 11:53 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by gravity
With that frequent use of the tailgate, beware of breaking in the wire harniss....
I am using side back door to let my dog out. Laying down the smallest seat..
Interesting point, though I can't avoid it, as we've got two car seats installed in the car. Hoping my harness doesn't bug up!

PS Do you have the metal dog guard installed? What do you think of it?
Old 11-21-2011, 03:19 AM
New Members

Hi - I am new here. Just wanted to add that I have one of these dog guards for sale - original BMW part. I bought the car used and it came with one, but we don't have a dog!!

BMW part number is 5147 2158 257. They go for £153 inc vat at the moment.

It's as new - just send me a message with a sensible offer and I will send pics if necessary.

Cheers

Martin