E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Diversity Antenna Amplifier

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2015, 03:29 AM
ASZ
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW E61 525i 2004
Exclamation Diversity Antenna Amplifier

Hello everyone,

The problem:
- the key fob on my E61 525i 2004 is not working
- the language keeps resetting to German

What I have already checked/fixed without any success:
- changed the wiring harness on the right
- checked all the related fuses, all of them are OK
- opened the antenna amplifier, no signs of water damage, but still cleaned it with isopropanol
- checked the keyfob battery with a multimeter, it shows 3.11 V which is OK

What do you guys think is causing this?
I have doubts about the diversity antenna amplifier, even though there is no sign of water damage and the FM radio is working fine. How can I check if it really is the diversity antenna amplifier which is not working before buying a new one (the new one is not returnable)?

P.S: I tried placing the key fob right above the diversity antenna amplifier and pressed the open and lock keys on the key fob, but still does not work.

Looking forward to answers. Thanks in advance.
Old 10-19-2015, 11:43 AM
New Members

My Ride: E61 523i
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by ASZ
Hello everyone,

The problem:
- the key fob on my E61 525i 2004 is not working
- the language keeps resetting to German

What I have already checked/fixed without any success:
- changed the wiring harness on the right
- checked all the related fuses, all of them are OK
- opened the antenna amplifier, no signs of water damage, but still cleaned it with isopropanol
- checked the keyfob battery with a multimeter, it shows 3.11 V which is OK

What do you guys think is causing this?
I have doubts about the diversity antenna amplifier, even though there is no sign of water damage and the FM radio is working fine. How can I check if it really is the diversity antenna amplifier which is not working before buying a new one (the new one is not returnable)?

P.S: I tried placing the key fob right above the diversity antenna amplifier and pressed the open and lock keys on the key fob, but still does not work.

Looking forward to answers. Thanks in advance.
Hi buddy, you are not the only one who has had this problem the same happened to my E61 and it was a complete nightmare. I took it to a local mechanic through my warranty and they advised me that I needed one of my key replaced but I still had my doubts about it, it costed £300 and when I got my vehicle the problem was still there. So I took it to BMW and they just replaced the diversity antenna and it was working fine.

My advice to you is to get it replaced even though there isn't water damage it just might be a faulty unit.

All the best

Sheikh
Old 10-20-2015, 03:07 AM
ASZ
New Members

Hello Katitu,

Thanks for the reply. I ordered a new diversity antenna amplifier today. Hopefully that fixes the problem. I will keep you all posted.

By the way, anyone have any idea why the car language keeps resetting back to German from English everytime I start the car? I wonder if this has to do with the diversity amplifier not working correctly, because both the problems occurred at the same time.

/ASZ
Old 10-22-2015, 12:01 PM
ASZ
New Members

Hello again everyone,

So today I received the new Diversity Antenna Amplifier and installed it, and guess what? The key fob started working again! Such a relief.

Although the RADIO worked correctly and there were no signs of corrosion in the diversity antenna amplifier, the fault was still in the diversity antenna amplifier.

This also fixed the language reset problem, dunno how, but maybe someone with more in depth knowledge can explain that.

Thanks again Katitu for the reply.
Old 10-23-2015, 01:10 PM
New Members

My Ride: E61 523i
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by ASZ
Hello again everyone,

So today I received the new Diversity Antenna Amplifier and installed it, and guess what? The key fob started working again! Such a relief.

Although the RADIO worked correctly and there were no signs of corrosion in the diversity antenna amplifier, the fault was still in the diversity antenna amplifier.

This also fixed the language reset problem, dunno how, but maybe someone with more in depth knowledge can explain that.

Thanks again Katitu for the reply.
Hi Buddy

Glad to know that I could help and it has solve the issue, at least you don't have to worry now.

Enjoy

Katitu