E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Demise of Station Wagons in America

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 01:06 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nomis_nehc
Just putting my honest opinion out... wagons do not look good, period. To me at least.

I remember back in the day my aunt had a Volvo wagon, hell, it seems like everyone had a Volvo wagon back then. Even as a child, they looked ridiculous to me. If I needed a roomier car than the E60, I would not consider the E61 at all, it definitely would be a SUV.

But back to my point about the look. I can't imagine that I am that alone on thinking wagons look silly. Besides the pricing (which do we have the stats to indicate that wagons across makes are more expensive than SAV/SUVs?), I tend to think that it's an outdated trend to drive wagons.
From an American I can understand that, SUVs are the norm and Volvo estates have done nothing to make them cool. I have had Cherokees myself and they are great cars (no they were rubbish, but fun in local parks ) but in europe the SUV is slightly frowned upon and see as gas guzzling Chelsea tractors, or mums car! A well specd tourer IMHO is far cooler than its equivalent SUV. I live in Glasgow and 2/3 Q7's, X5's, Range Rover sports, Cayennes, Touregs are either driven by the lady of the house or a pretend footballer (soccer player for those over the pond).

Tourings have a certain, tasteful following, well thats what I think . I am also not going to get my downhill mountain bikes in the rear of a saloon anyway!!
Old 09-17-2010, 12:23 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: F11 -14

But back to my point about the look. I can't imagine that I am that alone on thinking wagons look silly. Besides the pricing (which do we have the stats to indicate that wagons across makes are more expensive than SAV/SUVs?), I tend to think that it's an outdated trend to drive wagons.
Maybe a cultural gap btw Europe and US?

Over here there were article in several magazines a couple of years ago predicting the end of the saloon car, and they have not really been contradicted by the development the last years. No one is buying saloons anymore and the manufacturers are trying different ways to get the customer back by producing different "niche models". I believe the Audi A6 is 70 or 80% Avants (wagon) and the ratio for the E61 in favour of the E60 is increaseing with each model.

In Scandinavia you'll struggle to see saloons; there will probably be 5-6 wagons for each saloon car, and if you come across someone who bought themself a saloon car, the first question they'll get is "Why not a wagon/touring?". Or you are <25 or 55+...

And, as D-boy said; if you buy yourself a big SUV you're ostracised...or have so much money you don't really care.
Old 09-17-2010, 02:29 AM
Members

My Ride: 2010 535i wagon

Just putting my honest opinion out... wagons do not look good, period. To me at least.

I remember back in the day my aunt had a Volvo wagon, hell, it seems like everyone had a Volvo wagon back then. Even as a child, they looked ridiculous to me. If I needed a roomier car than the E60, I would not consider the E61 at all, it definitely would be a SUV.

Preferences based on looks are admittedly subjective. You stated wagons look silly. I understand that many Americans would agree with you or not consider purchase of a wagon for reasons of style.

On the other hand, I find the styling of the rear quarter of the E61 wagon much more appealing than the trunk of the E60 which to me does not flow well with the rest of the car. I paid a premium to purchase the wagon and take some jibes from friends for my selection. However, it is much easier to drive my dogs or haul bulky items. I value the flexibility and practicality the wagon offers over popularity and style.

The exterior styling of the current Volvo wagon has little in common with the E61 and older Volvo models are even less relevant. I owned a Volvo 850 turbo wagon 15 years ago, which never allowed me to forget that I was driving a wagon and not a high performance car. The E61 is in a different category and easily outperforms my 2003 E39 530i sedan in objective criteria and driving experience. For me, the E61 is very similar in driving experience to the E60 sedan, which could never be said of the X5. Plus, I enjoy driving a vehicle that is rare compared to the sedan and offers greater utility.

Like hatchbacks, wagons seem out of favor with American buyers. This represents a triumph of style over practicality. For me, most SUVs are an exercise in excess, being much heavier and higher than is desirable for good driving dynamics and offering little cargo space advantage over a wagon in most cases.

I lived in Switzerland for 4 years in the 1990s. Wagons were more common there and SUVs generally disdained. Perhaps this experience opened me to other options.
Old 09-17-2010, 08:27 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

How interesting! It sounds like it's more of a cultural gap than I thought regarding wagons.
Old 11-09-2010, 08:23 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535xiT6
Model Year: 2008

I wouldn't even want to date a woman who dislikes wagons. Important issues to sort out, religion, politics, active lifestyle, ...wagons