E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Demise of Station Wagons in America

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 02:10 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2010 535i wagon

Automobilemag.com posted an interesting article on the demise of the station wagon in America. My link

The article states in part:
"Whatever they say about consumer preferences, automakers have spent years steering American consumers to crossovers, in which they've invested heavily through intensive marketing and preferential pricing. If manufacturers had put the same money toward station wagons, people would be buying station wagons. When you go to lease a BMW 5-series wagon and find out that you can have an X5 for substantially less, good sense often goes out the window."

"The X5 was admittedly the class of a disagreeable segment and sold well, but that didn't change the fact that it was and is an overweight indulgence that's the dynamic equivalent of taking a refrigerator and strapping it to the roof of one of the company's fine 5-series sedans before jacking it up for further degraded handling."

"Turning their backs on the qualities that once made them special, the Germans are kissing off a part of their core audience and pissing off another: those rich enough to buy wagons in spite of the lack of price support. When you come across someone driving a new 5-series wagon today, you are looking at someone from a key, taste-making cohort, people who've spent real amounts of their own money for their car."

The article makes several points much more eloquently than I may. While I own a 2010 E61, no one has ever accused me of being a member of a "key, taste-making cohort" before. I remain hopeful that in due time BMW management may reconsider the decision to abandon the market for 5 series wagons in the U.S. The X5, X6 and 5 series GT are not appealing alternatives for some of the reasons humorously stated in the article.
Old 07-16-2010, 04:24 AM
Members

I don't even know what "key, taste-making cohort" means. All I wanted was a family car that was relatively efficient, well built, and really fun to drive.

That article misses out on a couple of points though: the sad fact is that a lot of Americans like crossovers and SUVs for the image of "ruggedness" or, especially with women, the perception of saftey that comes from being high off the ground. These people are willing to put up with clumsy handling and subpar fuel economy because gas is relatively cheap (compared to the rest of the world) and they can't drive for shit anyway. The article doesn't recongize that a lot of Americans like these godawful things, and companies have to respond the market demand.
Cadillac makes a pretty good wagon for a lot less money than an E61/F11, but it's sales aren't setting the world on fire.

I think where BMW really went wrong was in the execution of their so-called replacement, the 535/550GT. Ugly, thirsty, expensive, with no more cargo volume than an E61/F11. Even though I have owned several BMWs I will never, ever, own one of those abominations. When it comes time to replace the E61, I guess I will have to go to another manufacturer.
Old 08-23-2010, 03:51 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535XIT Space Gray, Cream Beige LeatherCold Weather, Premium, Auto, Rear Side Window Shapes, Heated Rear Seats, Park Distance, Navigation, Satellite Radio
Model Year: 08

I am thinking about buying my E61 in a year when the lease is up.

It is a great car that has been trouble free. I just did a 600 mile highway trip and averaged over 25 mpg. It has tons of power, handles like a car and has space. I like it much more than my 2004 X5 4.4.
Old 08-23-2010, 06:42 AM
lim
Senior Members

My Ride: e60

you know everybody these days are into bigger cars and riding high; I see more luxury SUV's and crossovers than luxury sedans every day
Old 08-23-2010, 04:23 PM
Members

My Ride: 535xiT

The real reason BMW gave up on the wagon in the US has everything to do with CAFE standards. Pity as when I next want a wagon (no SUV) i'll have to go to MB or Audi.
Old 08-23-2010, 06:33 PM
Members

My Ride: 2010 535i wagon

Originally Posted by 535xiT
The real reason BMW gave up on the wagon in the US has everything to do with CAFE standards. Pity as when I next want a wagon (no SUV) i'll have to go to MB or Audi.
If CAFE standards are the motivator, why not offer the 5 series wagon with a diesel engine? As reported in Roundel in May:
"BMW is considering bringing the new 5 Series to the U.S. in hybrid, diesel, and four-cylinder versions, to meet U.S. CAFE rules. A hybrid 5 Series could go on sale as early as 2011, said Willem Rombauts, product manager for the 5 Series. Diesel and four-cylinder models would follow, he said. BMW is revamping its lineups to meet U.S. standards requiring 34.1 mpg average by 2016. BMW cars and light trucks averaged 27.5 mpg and 23.1 mpg last year. The company doesn?t offer a four-cylinder engine in any model in the U.S. currently, but a turbocharged four-cylinder under development will offer six-cylinder performance in the entry-level 528i, said Rombauts."

With sales of less than 1000 5 series wagons annually in the U.S., the impact on CAFE for BMW from the 5 series wagon is minimal because this is a weighted average. In my opinion, it is more likely that the low wagon sales made it difficult for BMW NA to justify continued support and certification of the wagon in the U.S.
Old 08-25-2010, 04:18 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535XIT Space Gray, Cream Beige LeatherCold Weather, Premium, Auto, Rear Side Window Shapes, Heated Rear Seats, Park Distance, Navigation, Satellite Radio
Model Year: 08

I don't think BMW has ever really marketed the wagon. It is a great car that handles like a sedan and has the room of a suv. The fact that Americans like gas eating SUV's and that BMW makes the X5 here is probably the reason they are not bring the estate model back.
Old 08-27-2010, 11:28 AM
Members

I've had four sport wagons over the past 15 years, along with several SUV's - 95 525it, 98 ML 320, 01 X5, 03 C320 wagon, 05 E320 Wagon and 06 530 xiT. By far, the wagons are more fun to drive and generally can fit more "stuff" , easier to load and are more comfortable. The X5 was the worst of the lot, I bought it with the sport package and it was so harsh to ride in (especially in the back seat...) that my family did not want to ride in it - ever.

I think the X drive for the wagon should be optional for the US market...I think an ideal car for the US market would be a 535 and M5 wagon for the US...I will say, although, the MB E320 was a great car...comfortable ride, sporty driving, pleanty of storage and good fuel economy.

Sad that the new wagon will not be in US, especially since MB, Audi, Volvo and now Acura and even Caddie all have sport wagons.
Old 09-16-2010, 11:53 AM
Members

(new to the forums and just browsing around)
Great topic and I wholeheartedly agree that the dying wagon market is a shame. Even with volvo which I've ownd 2 before my e61 is pushing more towards the SUVs and the thirsty XC70 and killing the V70. I'd like to see BMW try the wagons again (and hopefully a diesel too) in a year or two with the 3rd row seat like MB to draw more interest from those that need the extra room and have no options but big SUV and minivans. I think MB is the last to offer a rear facing 3rd row seat - which I remember so fondly from childhood. Imagine the faces of people as your kids smile and wave to other sports cars as you beat them off the line in your wagon!
Old 09-16-2010, 12:09 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Just putting my honest opinion out... wagons do not look good, period. To me at least.

I remember back in the day my aunt had a Volvo wagon, hell, it seems like everyone had a Volvo wagon back then. Even as a child, they looked ridiculous to me. If I needed a roomier car than the E60, I would not consider the E61 at all, it definitely would be a SUV.

But back to my point about the look. I can't imagine that I am that alone on thinking wagons look silly. Besides the pricing (which do we have the stats to indicate that wagons across makes are more expensive than SAV/SUVs?), I tend to think that it's an outdated trend to drive wagons.

Quick Reply: Demise of Station Wagons in America