E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

decision between an 07 or an 08 wagon

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2010, 10:52 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 E90 323i

Hi All

First post here. After quite a few months of looking for a wagon I've actually found a couple of good cars but here is my dilemma. One is a CPO 07 with 30000miles for about $32,500. Options include heated seats (no CWP), premium, sport package, PDC and NAV or an 08 ( early built mind you) with 36000mile, similar asking price as the 07 CWP and premium package, NAV and HUD.
Both are black with a light interior.

I?ve spoken to the dealer where the 08 was serviced and early on there was a problem with the injectors but there has not been anything major for the past couple of years.

Tough choice

Any thoughts?
Old 05-09-2010, 12:06 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 06' 530xi E61 Saphire Black / Dakota Black - aluminum 11' A4 Avant 2.0T Brilliant Black / Black - aluminum

Hi,

You don't specify which models or country. But in Canada the '07 would be a 530xiT and the '08 would be a 535xiT given the choice between the 2 I would opt for the '08 for the more powerful engine and you would get the revised interior/exterior design (also known as LCI). You get the nicer headlight/tailight design, the interior would get the newer style door panels (much nicer imo). These are the first things that come to mind I hope this helps a little.
Old 05-09-2010, 07:30 AM
Members

My Ride: 2007 E90 323i

Originally Posted by Spartan335i
Hi,

You don't specify which models or country. But in Canada the '07 would be a 530xiT and the '08 would be a 535xiT given the choice between the 2 I would opt for the '08 for the more powerful engine and you would get the revised interior/exterior design (also known as LCI). You get the nicer headlight/tailight design, the interior would get the newer style door panels (much nicer imo). These are the first things that come to mind I hope this helps a little.

Thanks for the feedback, it does help.
Old 05-09-2010, 08:48 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 E61 535xiT Black on Black

Originally Posted by 20fleming
Thanks for the feedback, it does help.
I tend to agree with the "newer is better" philosophy, especially as there was the LCI facelift from '07 to '08. Another advantage to an '08 is that if you can get a September 2007 or later build date, you should get the new iDrive controller and presumably an iDrive software upgrade. Once you drive with a HUD, you will wonder how you ever got along without one

Happy hunting!
Old 05-10-2010, 06:35 AM
Members

08 lci hpfp issues
08 new door interior, poor rating in side crash tests

rear crash tests, only comfort seats do ok in 07

08 way more torque
Old 05-10-2010, 04:58 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2010 VW Passat Wagon 2.0l Tsi Grey/Grey Budapest 18" Lost to HPFP issues: 08 535i sport pkg Lost to Dreaded E61 Sun roof leaks: 07 E61 530Xi

Check the 08 for HPFP issues, Injector issues and Waste Gate rattle/replacement.

check both for bad sunroof seals /damage/corrosion on the electronics in the rear.

Huge power differance in the 08 vs the 07... 08 low end power vs 07 upper end power
Old 05-11-2010, 08:14 AM
Members

My Ride: '07 530Xit, Ty Silver/Black leather, 6MT, Sport, Cold, Nav, PDC, sport seats, square 18
Model Year: 2007

My vote would be the '07, and not just because I have one of those. The '08 introduces some nice upgrades, but also adds some significant downsides, in particular the risks of ongoing fuel system and turbo issues. The '07 is definitely not underpowered for any day-to day driving, and only you can tell if you will really be able to make use of the added torque of the '08 on any regular basis. In my case, I almost never have the chance to push into the upper power bands, so the '07's 255 horses are very satisfactory and I really like the idea of having a "bulletproof" version (tongue in cheek, but the non-turbo's have a very good track record). A really big distinction for me would be the sport package, or more narrowly, the great sport seats of the 5 series. Some don't like them, or don't fit, but for me, I would not readily buy a BMW without this option.

Mike
Old 05-13-2010, 03:28 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E61 535d carbon black m-kit panoramaroof with beige nasca interior and wood trim. 172m rims. DimSport Race, SB, SAT

Originally Posted by mbsl98
My vote would be the '07, and not just because I have one of those. The '08 introduces some nice upgrades, but also adds some significant downsides, in particular the risks of ongoing fuel system and turbo issues. The '07 is definitely not underpowered for any day-to day driving, and only you can tell if you will really be able to make use of the added torque of the '08 on any regular basis. In my case, I almost never have the chance to push into the upper power bands, so the '07's 255 horses are very satisfactory and I really like the idea of having a "bulletproof" version (tongue in cheek, but the non-turbo's have a very good track record). A really big distinction for me would be the sport package, or more narrowly, the great sport seats of the 5 series. Some don't like them, or don't fit, but for me, I would not readily buy a BMW without this option.

Mike

With the 08 you can upgrade the transmission to sports automatic which gives faster shifts, holds the gear longer and gives the steering a more weighted feel; an excellent upgrade which isn't possible with the older, slower transmission. For me it was a compromise to get an automatic over a manual transmission in the first place but I have not regretted the choice with the fast, excellent shifts I get with my '08 sports automatic transmission.
Old 05-13-2010, 07:33 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2010 VW Passat Wagon 2.0l Tsi Grey/Grey Budapest 18" Lost to HPFP issues: 08 535i sport pkg Lost to Dreaded E61 Sun roof leaks: 07 E61 530Xi

I've had both, and the peace of mind of your engine working when you push start every morning was a much bigger deal. Also Powerbox/Sprintbooster2 can speed things up too.
Old 05-14-2010, 09:20 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: Jan 2006 E63 650i Sport . Options: Sport version (includes: sport-seats, sport-suspension, M-Sport steering wheel, Anthracite headliner, Shaddow Line), Saphire Black, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood trim, Steptronic Auto, Xenons, NAV-Professional with Voice Control, TV, CD-Changer, Bluetooth, Logic7, Head-up Display, Comfort Access, Seat Heating front, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Extended Auto Air Conditioning, PDC. . Mods: Spacers 5mm front & 15mm rear . Wheels: 20" Alpina Softline (Classic) with Dunlop Sport Maxx non-RFT (255/35/20 & 285/30/20)

I am a little confused about what you are comparing here, is it a pre-LCI 530XiT and an LCI 535XiT ?

I have owned pre-LCI and LCI E60/E61s. If you are going to have an automatic gearbox, then the choice between the two has to be the LCI without a doubt. Even with a remap and a Sprintbooster, my pre-LCI 530dA did not run as nicely as my LCI 525dA -- it had more power, but the auto was terrible in comparison. With my current pre-LCI petrol V8, I have to admit the pre-LCI auto isn't as bad, but still nowhere near as good as the LCI auto. As NavarroOne mentioned, the LCI auto can be easily upgraded to the Sports Automatic if it is not supplied with it from the factory.

As for the injector issues, if that was an early issue with the early 535i TT engine, then I assume they have resolved that by now, like you imply in your original post.

So if I have understood it correctly, my advice is definitely go for the 2008, providing it is the LCI version.

Good luck and happy shopping...

Quick Reply: decision between an 07 or an 08 wagon