E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Convert Automatic Tailgate to Manual?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 11:13 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Convert Automatic Tailgate to Manual?

Has anyone ever converted their auto opening tailgate to just use two struts rather than the actuator/strut combo that is there now? My tailgate is struggling to open and I have been quoted about $1,400 to fix it. The latch mechanism works fine so I was thinking to disconnect the hydraulic pump and replace the actuator with a strut. Thoughts?
Old 11-15-2012, 11:58 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2010 535 xi - M Sport Pkg & other goodies

Haven't read of anyone doing so, but have you checked out lower model E61 versions from Europe? Maybe they didn't come with an auto tailgate, and you could get some ideas? Check RealOEM for part numbers perhaps?
Old 11-15-2012, 01:03 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535xiT6
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by Lotus99
Haven't read of anyone doing so, but have you checked out lower model E61 versions from Europe? Maybe they didn't come with an auto tailgate, and you could get some ideas? Check RealOEM for part numbers perhaps?
That's a good idea! I was just thinking about how I sometimes do like the auto lift feature but other times find it annoying, like when I want to carefully open it at my own pace or just quickly shut it rather than wait for the power to do it. When the car is open for a long period of time, the mechanical feature does not engage unless you re-activate the car power. You can slowly push the gate closed but it would be much easier with a standard manual gate.
Old 11-16-2012, 10:16 AM
awt
Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2001 320Ci Coupè

Shouldn't be a problem. I converted mine from manual to auto. I believe it should be enough to just replace the cylinders, but you still have the to hydraulic hoses that goes to the main cylinder. You either have to remove those (and the hydraulic pump) or blend them somehow.

But before trying all this I would start with changing the hydraulic fluid in the pump. My hatch wouldn't stay up after the retrofit. After a quick look I discovered that the fluid was under the max/min-mark, so I bought new oil (not from BMW of course) and filled it up. No problems after that.

I also have an spare pump if you're interested.
Old 11-19-2012, 07:28 AM
New Members

Thanks for the responses. I'll check the hydraulic fluid level first but I'm still leaning toward making the whole thing manual. In case anyone else is interested, RealOEM lists the necessary struts as part # 51247178273. Thanks to Lotus99 for the suggestion. I'll post back here with the results if I do go down that road.
Old 12-16-2012, 12:53 PM
New Members

Greetings! My tailgate is toast... where can I find the pump? Is there an easy way to get to it, and how can I check the fluid?

THanks, Sebastian
Old 12-20-2012, 12:17 AM
awt
Members

Just take of the cover on the left side in your boot. If you have an OEM amplifier, you have to remove this.
Old 12-21-2012, 05:47 AM
New Members

Default My Automatic tailgate won't stay up

Hi Folks,

Like AWT, my '06 530XIT's tailgate won't stay up. AWT said he changed the fluid because the fluid was below the maximum mark. I probably have the same issue (I'll investigate it tonight.)

My questions; What weight/type of hydraulic oil? Change the fluid or "fill it to the maximum?" While I'm there should I do any other PM, e.g., bleed the lines?

Thanks,
Russ
Old 12-21-2012, 04:00 PM
awt
Members

BMW seels oil for this, but the price is crazy. I bought an oil called Shell Aerofluid ASF 41 or something like that.

I drained the excisting fluid and filled up with the new one to the mark. There was some info on this on Spaghetticoder, but Spaghetticoder is gone.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:27 AM
New Members

My Ride: e61 530xiT / e28 528i
Model Year: 2007 / 1985
Engine: N52

Subscribed to this, and interested in results of conversion to regular struts. I just picked up a wagon, and tailgate works sometimes. Maybe needs oil/change? ( 07 with 100K) With dogs- its a hastle to wait for it to slowly close (and hope they don't jump out).

Quick Reply: Convert Automatic Tailgate to Manual?