E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Cold Weather package retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2010, 07:44 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 08 535xiT

I know I can't put in the heated seats, but are there any other options that I can add?

It's pretty damn cold in MN right now and heated mirrors and heated washer nozzles would be really nice to have. I have already had mine freeze while out driving around for a while.

Anyone know what can be added on?
Old 12-18-2010, 08:07 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by asujosh1
I know I can't put in the heated seats, but are there any other options that I can add?

It's pretty damn cold in MN right now and heated mirrors and heated washer nozzles would be really nice to have. I have already had mine freeze while out driving around for a while.

I don't know what year/model e60 you have but I'm pretty sure that heated side mirrors are 'standard' equipment on USA e60s. The heated windscreen washer's I'm not sure of. But, if your washer jets are freezing, and it's not 20 below zero, I suggest a stronger concentration of washer fluid. As for the other cold-weather package features for enough money you can retro fit most anything.
Old 12-18-2010, 08:14 PM
Members

My Ride: 08 535xiT

Yeah, that might have been helpful, wouldn't it?

I have an 08 E61, the mirrors haven't had an issue yet, but the washers have. So far it is staying in the low single digits for highs, I'm guessing that with windchill it would be well below zero.

The fluid in there is whatever the dealer put in, I can't imagine that they would dilute it.
Old 12-18-2010, 08:58 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 E61 M5, 1989 Z1

Windchill is only for animate objects and how cold they feel. Given the penny pinching that happens at many dealers I wouldn't be surprised if there's a summer screenwash fluid in your car.

As far as the heated seats see https://5series.net/forums/topic/657..._1#entry725614
Old 12-19-2010, 05:40 AM
Contributors

Yeah, that might have been helpful, wouldn't it?
I have an 08 E61, the mirrors haven't had an issue yet, but the washers have. So far it is staying in the low single digits for highs, I'm guessing that with windchill it would be well below zero.
The fluid in there is whatever the dealer put in, I can't imagine that they would dilute it.
Then, despite not having the full "cold weather pkg" I suspect you have heated w/s washer jets - every BMW I've owned since 1986 has had them. Maybe, just maybe, the washer fluid is frozen. If it's what was added by the dealer and I don't recall the BMW stuff to be winter OR summer mix.

If you wanted to be sure, go to any discount store and buy a container of undiluted (concentrate), dump it in and top off with distilled water. (FYI Distilled water is less likely to leave spots behind than the stuff that comes straight from the tap.) Or, buy a gallon jug of the premix stuff and top off.

I personally like the BMW stuff better - it smells nice ;-)

A final suggestion Drive to Florida and see if that solves the problem
Old 12-21-2010, 04:51 AM
Members

Check out this site for adding seat heat...it is not as bad as you think...Not OEM, but will should work well for you

http://www.heatedseatkits.com/index.html