E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Cargo cover creaking when extended

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 04:13 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an annoying creak in the rear of my 2006 530xiT which only occurs when the cargo cover is extended to cover the rear area. The problem is I have no idea what the exact cause is. The entire mechanism is securely attached. Has anyone had this issue before? Thanks for any suggestions. While I have a CPO warranty, I trust it's not covered.
Old 08-09-2010, 10:14 AM
Members

I think I have the same problem, drives me round the twist! Anyone any thoughts??

Chris
Old 08-10-2010, 02:01 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 530d M-Sport TouringExterior: Titansilber Metallic, M5 mirrors, ACS rear roof spoiler, BMW Carbon Fiber rear diffuser, Adaptive Xenon headlights, AngeliBright v.3 Angel Eyes, F1 Autohaus Euphoria 6000K LED license plate lightsInterior: Black

Mine doesn't really make noise anymore because I don't keep it closed! The reason for that is that it just opens by itself when I hit a big enough bump, that has frightened the crap out of me several times!

I have figured out that the holding mechanism on the RH side does not stay locked. When it does - for short times - there is some creaking sounds.

No clue how to fix this.
Old 08-10-2010, 02:31 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: F11 -14

Had a similar experience this summer; on my car it was the left "plug" holding the cover in place that didn't want to play the game. As it is intermittent I haven't bothered to tell BMW yet.

I think Patrick is on to it here; try to put some grease on the plug to prevent the metal/plastic rubbing. Could work.
Old 08-10-2010, 03:49 AM
Members

Thanks guys for the leads on the possible culpit!

I'm going to try placing some grease on the two pins which hold the cover closed and will report back.
Old 08-10-2010, 05:02 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2004 E61 530D - Dynamic Drive - Active Front Steering Sport Seats - Voice Control - Head Up Display - Nav Pro - Bluetooth - Panoramic roof - Front/rear heated seats

I replaced the right retainer on mine because it would retract intermittently, about 70 euros I believe...
Old 08-10-2010, 05:54 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 530d M-Sport TouringExterior: Titansilber Metallic, M5 mirrors, ACS rear roof spoiler, BMW Carbon Fiber rear diffuser, Adaptive Xenon headlights, AngeliBright v.3 Angel Eyes, F1 Autohaus Euphoria 6000K LED license plate lightsInterior: Black

Originally Posted by Theo
I replaced the right retainer on mine because it would retract intermittently, about 70 euros I believe...
I will be doing that as well - funny that it was your right side retainer as well.

And it really sucks when the cover flops up while you are driving - that makes the rear view mirror useless.

I need to find a PN for that.
Old 08-15-2010, 12:43 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Henry's Dad
I think I have the same problem, drives me round the twist! Anyone any thoughts??

Chris
It may not be the luggage cover.
My boot area was creaking from what seemed to be the luggage cover but, after reading other posts on this site, I put rubber conditioner on the rubbers around the boot shut. This cured it. Apparently it is a common issue.
I have creaking from the doors as well, again apparently common, and cured by conditioning the rubbers.....although leaving the windows down a few mm also works !

A bit poor that it happens really. I can only assume that BMW wanted to get a tight seal - to reduce road noise - the side-effect being creaking door/boot shuts.

Dan.
Old 08-15-2010, 12:46 PM
Members

Originally Posted by dannyf
It may not be the luggage cover.
My boot area was creaking from what seemed to be the luggage cover but, after reading other posts on this site, I put rubber conditioner on the rubbers around the boot shut. This cured it. Apparently it is a common issue.
I have creaking from the doors as well, again apparently common, and cured by conditioning the rubbers.....although leaving the windows down a few mm also works !

A bit poor that it happens really. I can only assume that BMW wanted to get a tight seal - to reduce road noise - the side-effect being creaking door/boot shuts.

Dan.
What kind of conditioner did you use on the rubber?
Old 08-15-2010, 09:20 PM
Members

What kind of conditioner did you use on the rubber?

+1?

Chris

Quick Reply: Cargo cover creaking when extended