E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Car wash ruinnig drivers side lower control arm

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 07:14 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I purchased my 535XiT 3 years ago, the car wash I go to had signs up that they would not allow E60/61 X cars anymore. (sorry all - can't always hand wash and it's been a crappy winter). Since the lower control arm is only ~5" high, the car wash wheel guide on the drivers will scrape, damage and ultimatley force replacement of the lower control arm (over $700 at BMW with alignment).

Knowing this, I went to the local, new, "high end" car wash in town, explained my concern (several times over the past years) and they assured me their car wash was new and would not cause this problem. It has been the only car wash I use.

Guess what...yep, BMW just told me, showed me pictures, let me look under the car on a lift and put it in writing on the service record that the lower control arm had been damaged from the car wash guide, had a 1/3 inch goove cut it and should be replaced.

Also, the BMW shop has seen this problem before and I should be handwashing my car. Maybe this should be in the maintenance manual along with such suggestions as "don't take short trips or your battery will not charge" or "scheduled maintenance for panoramic roof drain"

Just a shout out to see if anyone else has had this issue?

(btw - I'll work something out with the car wash - they are local guys who do great detailing that I would still use)
Old 03-04-2011, 07:20 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

I haven't had this problem, mainly because the only local car wash I use will not run my car through the machine. Instead they take my car to the side and wash it by hand, that's the exact reason I go there because they know enough not to put my car through that. It costs me $2 extra, but well worth it IMHO
Old 03-04-2011, 07:28 AM
Contributors

Looks like you may have some "evidence" the car wash damaged your car. Why not file a claim against their insurance carrier. If your dealer has already taken the damaged part it might be a tougher road to travel but it wouldn't take too long to find out if they will fight hard to deny a claim.
Old 03-07-2011, 04:05 AM
Members

Originally Posted by luigi524td
Looks like you may have some "evidence" the car wash damaged your car. Why not file a claim against their insurance carrier. If your dealer has already taken the damaged part it might be a tougher road to travel but it wouldn't take too long to find out if they will fight hard to deny a claim.
Thanks for the replies.

Part has not been replaced - owner of car wash (who has 10 high end/exotic cars) is replacing the control arm.
Old 03-07-2011, 04:20 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Phoenix1
Thanks for the replies.

Part has not been replaced - owner of car wash (who has 10 high end/exotic cars) is replacing the control arm.
Good deal! Glad it has worked out for you
Old 04-01-2011, 03:39 AM
Members

My Ride: BMW 535xi wagon. Monaco Blue/Dakota Brown interior, M Package

amazing, that a relatively mundane/normal car like this can't be taken through a car wash!!!!

what's next... no sunlight?
Old 04-01-2011, 01:35 PM
Members

Originally Posted by alexio
amazing, that a relatively mundane/normal car like this can't be taken through a car wash!!!!

what's next... no sunlight?
Yeah - was a bit surprising to me also. I had a Volvo V70R 6sp before and had all sorts of problems with the 45 series tires rubbing and actually bent the driveshaft crossing a RR track with the car on vacation... also bent 2 rims hitting curbs.

I thought by getting the "standard" suspension and tires that I'd be safe...but I've already replaced a control arm (not wheel or tire) that was bent when I hit a pothole. :thumbsdown:.

Oh well, I'll just have to be careful forget about it blasting down the highway with my Dinan S/W...