E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Business Nav and CD Changer for £350!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 03:31 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E92 320i MSport (currently 330i loaner from BMW UK!) VW Touareg 3.0TDi Lotus Elise S2 Sport 135

BMW UK offer - so what are the drawbacks people?? Have only seen Prof. nav. and can't find definitive description of current Business Nav. functionality.....

Thanks!
Old 07-24-2008, 03:36 AM
Members

Originally Posted by chrisbin' post='631428' date='Jul 24 2008, 12:31 PM
BMW UK offer - so what are the drawbacks people?? Have only seen Prof. nav. and can't find definitive description of current Business Nav. functionality.....

Thanks!
Business Nav does not have maps, just directions/arrows etc.

Alan
Old 07-24-2008, 03:40 AM
Members

My Ride: E92 320i MSport (currently 330i loaner from BMW UK!) VW Touareg 3.0TDi Lotus Elise S2 Sport 135

Originally Posted by saintalan' post='631430' date='Jul 24 2008, 12:36 PM

Alan
Not sure if thats true on latest version....what I have managed to find is reference to 2 D maps.......
Old 07-24-2008, 03:54 AM
Members

Alan
Latest version has a 2D map which is what I have and perfectly acceptable. Professional version has a split screen that allows two functions to be visible at the same time sych as phone and nav or phone and radio. Also prof version has 3d map. I found it hard to justify the extra dosh for the prof version.

Neither Navs are as good as a tom tom though for mapping and extra functionality (IMHO).
Old 07-24-2008, 04:31 AM
Members

Originally Posted by mikeohope' post='631434' date='Jul 24 2008, 12:54 PM
Latest version has a 2D map which is what I have and perfectly acceptable. Professional version has a split screen that allows two functions to be visible at the same time sych as phone and nav or phone and radio. Also prof version has 3d map. I found it hard to justify the extra dosh for the prof version.

Neither Navs are as good as a tom tom though for mapping and extra functionality (IMHO).
I actually find my business nav better than my TomTom for pure navigation. It's a lot simpler and easier to follow and seems to be more accurate too, with regards to distance to turn offs on big roundabouts in particular. Sure it doesn't look as flash, you can't move it from car to car and it has less functionality. But if you just want it to direct you somewhere the BMW one is much better. Being built in is fantastic too. I don't have to remember to get the Tom Tom out before I leave home (or leave the car for that matter). I hate having a Tom Tom stuck to the windscreen and wires trailing to it to keep it charged. Also, if I don't use the Tom Tom very often it usually needs charging when I next do need it. The BMW doesn't suffer from any of this. It also doesn't suffer from losing the satellites as it takes measurements from sterring input and wheel speed as well should you lose satellite lock.

For me, ?350 is a bargain. I'd get it if it was more than that. I wouldn't have wanted to pay what they originally charged for it new but at this price I would.
Old 07-24-2008, 04:37 AM
Members

Hmmm...seems main drawback would be inability to spec. TV function...but then it seems thats questionable anyway....

At ?350 + ?465 for Bluetooth, its a bargain compared to ?2,365 for Media pack!!!

Means I could add a couple more toys - comfort seats, power bootlid - and still save ?1500 on purchase price....
Old 07-24-2008, 05:34 AM
Members

Alan
Apologies (newbie) for the mis-information, my research when I was buying my 05 a few weeks back is obviously not correct for newer versions.

I have used TomTom for many years and never found anything close to it, however, although as stated above the BMW is not so flash I have been amazed by its map- accuracy and guidance. I always felt I had to keep my eye on TomTom as indeed you should with any SatNav however am very pleased with the ProfNav, and having added 2d maps to BusNav I think is a great setp forward.

Cheers

Alan
Old 07-24-2008, 01:46 PM
Members

Business Nav is good its just that I find it limited in terms of POI, and setting route criteria.

For instance today i wanted to take an alternative route through London to the one the nav had planned but I could not programme it to avoid certain roads or even to just plan and alternative route. It kept telling me to u turn in to a horrendous jam even though I knew there was another way. imagine if I was a foreigner and didn't have half an idea where I wanted to go. The BMW Nav would have had me sitting in traffic for hours.

Also the post code element is very poor. There are lots it doesn't recognise.
Old 07-25-2008, 01:02 AM
Members

My Ride: 08 E61 520d MSport Auto. Deep Sea Blue, Cream Beige Leather, Panoramic Roof, Heated Seats, Business Sat Nav, Autochanger, HiFi, Sun Protection Glass.

I have the Business Nav and am very pleased with it also compared to TT, but it only came with 07-2 DVD in May 08!

The 07-2 maps do not have 50% of the roads I drive to work or my office! Making the TMC almost pointless. I have TT7 in my phone and this has both!

My dealer will not offer me 08-1 and I beleive 08-2 is now available.

Does anyone have the new maps? I would like to confirm the roads and my office are on the DVD before purchase.

Thanks in advance.

Al
Old 07-25-2008, 02:17 AM
Members

Originally Posted by puiumeu' post='632244' date='Jul 25 2008, 10:02 AM
I have the Business Nav and am very pleased with it also compared to TT, but it only came with 07-2 DVD in May 08!

The 07-2 maps do not have 50% of the roads I drive to work or my office! Making the TMC almost pointless. I have TT7 in my phone and this has both!

My dealer will not offer me 08-1 and I beleive 08-2 is now available.

Does anyone have the new maps? I would like to confirm the roads and my office are on the DVD before purchase.

Thanks in advance.

Al
Give me a few and I'll take a look.

Alan

Quick Reply: Business Nav and CD Changer for £350!!