E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Building the perfect unicorn

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2014, 09:12 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Building the perfect unicorn

I recently secured myself a unicorn, a 535xi with 6MT. I've owned a 6AT version for a few years but kept searching for the right car until I found it.

For reference here are the two side by side:

So now I've got the car I've got all this pent up desire to modify the car and I'm part way through the process but I need your help. My manual is a 2008 with about 105k on the clock, in Platinum Grey with Natural Brown Dakota leather. It has the right spec with sport & premium, heated seats and a head up display but it is time to mess around with things. I like the OEM look so aftermarket wheels and body addendum are off the menu. I also have a strict rule of not making it a M5 lookalike so I won't be adding any M5 body or trim on the outside.

Here's what the car looks like (roughly, this was pre-KW):

What I've done :-

KW v3s
CDV delete
Style 135 wheels
Swapped the light poplar of the manual with the anthracite bamboo from my auto
Cool Carbon pads

What I have planned :-

Dinan exhaust
RB Turbo upgrade
Red interior swap/retrim from a M5
CIC retrofit
PDC retrofit
MTech II body kit

If you were building your perfect wagon what would you suggest I add to the car? I'm looking for the right mix between ride, handling, power and daily drivability. I also keep my cars for a while, my last car a E46 330xi lasted to 240,000 miles.
Old 10-07-2014, 09:23 PM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 535xi touring
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

I'd suggest a hard wired Valentine V1, M5 brakes up front & Ultra Racing strut bars. My E61 was like a wet noodle before the strut bars.

I'd imagine there is a lot of slop in your shift linkage, mine is sloppy at 60K. The Z4 3.0 shifter fits our cars. Here is a thread on the install and part numbers.

https://5series.net/forums/diy-do-yo...shifter-71709/
Old 10-08-2014, 07:41 AM
New Members

Ooh. That is a great idea, I didn't think there was any short shifter that would fit the xi. I'll add this to the list.

Strut bars are a good call, I have good handling thanks to the KWs but there's still a fair bit of flex in the handling.

M5 brakes will go on the list but I just did a whole brake job using OEM rotors and Cool Carbon pads, will probably keep those as the pads seem to be a nice enough upgrade for now.

Forgot to mention I have the JB4 installed too.
Old 10-08-2014, 08:43 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2010 535 xi - M Sport Pkg & other goodies

Wow!

RB Turbos too?! Nice. I'm pretty sure you'd be the first wagon with upgraded turbos!

Don't you have to run meth with them to get a real bump in power?

I'm guessing that means DP's and a FMIC are obvious.

Also, how come not sway bars as well? Just throwing it out there, I'm not clear on the difference between them.
Old 10-09-2014, 05:30 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by Lotus99
Wow!

RB Turbos too?! Nice. I'm pretty sure you'd be the first wagon with upgraded turbos!

Don't you have to run meth with them to get a real bump in power?

I'm guessing that means DP's and a FMIC are obvious.

Also, how come not sway bars as well? Just throwing it out there, I'm not clear on the difference between them.
Any advice on a good downpipe/FMIC that isn't going to send red flags all the way to the smog referee? I'm trying to keep it so I don't have to unbolt a bunch of stuff every two years.

The RB Turbo upgrade is more for longevity than getting crazy power, maybe I'm just paranoid but my previous car, an automatic 535xi wagon ate a set of turbos every 25,000 miles. I get a good amount of improved boost with the JB4 and a small amount of E85 per tank and even without meth I've read good results from adding the RB Turbo.
Old 10-10-2014, 08:23 AM
Senior Members

Yeah, in CA you guys have some pretty tight rules. I researched FMIC's a while ago, as I was toying with going stage 2+ on this car, you can find my thread on it. Only a handful of guys here have done FMIC's I believe.

There's not a lot of choice for DP's either IIRC. AR Design is one, and they make really quality stuff. Would getting hi flo cats help?

It's hard to get any info on RB Turbo dynos (or Vargas) on just pump 91 gas, without ethanol mixes or meth. Have you come across any?

EDIT - How come you didn't go for the Vargas twins?

Last edited by Lotus99; 10-10-2014 at 01:22 PM.
Old 10-10-2014, 08:35 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by Lotus99
Yeah, in CA you guys have some pretty tight rules. I researched FMIC's a while ago, as I was toying with going stage 2+ on this car, you can find my thread on it. Only a handful of guys here have done FMIC's I believe.

There's not a lot of choice for DP's either IIRC. AR Design is one, and they make really quality stuff. Would getting hi flo cats help?

It's hard to get any info on RB Turbo dynos (or Vargas) on just pump 91 gas, without ethanol mixes or meth. Have you come across any?

EDIT - How come you didn't go for the Vargas twins?
The FMIC I could probably get away with, the smog people have never complained about the one I have on my Mazdaspeed Miata.

As for the turbos, I haven't purchased them yet, I wasn't aware of the Vargas one and it certainly seems like an option at a much lower cost than the RB ones. It seems to fit my desire for longevity. I looked at the AR downpipe but I don't know how visible it'll be to my friendly neighbourhood smog person. Any Californians on the forum care to comment?
Old 10-12-2014, 09:08 AM
New Members

My Ride: 535xit

With the KW v3's if the handling doesn't feel on point, double check your alignment or take a look at your tires.

I would upgrade the audio just a tad bit. Check out MB Quart BMW Speakers
Old 10-14-2014, 08:47 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by tony2x
The FMIC I could probably get away with, the smog people have never complained about the one I have on my Mazdaspeed Miata.

As for the turbos, I haven't purchased them yet, I wasn't aware of the Vargas one and it certainly seems like an option at a much lower cost than the RB ones. It seems to fit my desire for longevity. I looked at the AR downpipe but I don't know how visible it'll be to my friendly neighbourhood smog person. Any Californians on the forum care to comment?
The Vargas ones on E90post seem to have gotten some good reviews, and some bad ones, so worth reading up. They offer a few options though AFAIK, unlike RB, and you can just replace the stock ones with similar (but cheaper than OEM) if you want with better internals IIRC. It's just that by the time most go thru the trouble of pulling them out, you might as well get upgraded ones.

Go to E90post Engine Tuning section for tons of info, and there's a California forum too I'm sure.
Old 10-14-2014, 04:38 PM
New Members

My Ride: is black
Model Year: 535

Very nice car, congrats ...
I'm on the same boat, got my car 3 months ago and messing around.
Instead of coilovers I want to install air suspension, I want to control car height from my seat. I'm using my car for family rides and for my own pleasure, my wife don't really like hard, sport suspension especially here in new york routes quality is horrible.
I've sent an email to accuair today to see what option they can give me, I mentioned that I want to deactivate OEM self leveling rear suspension.
I hope they'll respond soon.

Quick Reply: Building the perfect unicorn