E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Broken wheel

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 02:45 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 BMW 530d M-Sport TouringExterior: Titansilber Metallic, M5 mirrors, ACS rear roof spoiler, BMW Carbon Fiber rear diffuser, Adaptive Xenon headlights, AngeliBright v.3 Angel Eyes, F1 Autohaus Euphoria 6000K LED license plate lightsInterior: Black

Ouch. Ouch. Ouch.

I washed my E61 on Sunday afternoon, and when driving it into the garage, I noticed that I had a partially flat tire. No big deal.

I used the trusty BMW Mobility Kit to get some air in to the tire today (worked fine) and then drove to Euromaster with the hope of getting the tire patched.

After having the tire checked three times, the mechanic discovered a long crack on the inside of the wheel, and then that part of the wheel had broken off.

I then called my guy at the local BMW garage and ordered a new 19" Style 166M wheel, and it will be here on Thursday. That is the good news - I need my car on Friday.

The bad news is that the new wheel will cost 670 Euros + installation.
Old 09-15-2009, 03:00 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

These things happen Hang in there brother - it'll be
Old 09-15-2009, 03:09 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 530d M-Sport TouringExterior: Titansilber Metallic, M5 mirrors, ACS rear roof spoiler, BMW Carbon Fiber rear diffuser, Adaptive Xenon headlights, AngeliBright v.3 Angel Eyes, F1 Autohaus Euphoria 6000K LED license plate lightsInterior: Black

Yeah, no worries. Just an expensive inconvenience.

On the bright side, this failure did not happen when we were on our summer road trip in central Europe - for example, at 220km/h on the A7.

However, if it would have happened a month later, I would have simply swapped to my winter wheels and tires.

Oh well.
Old 09-15-2009, 03:51 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: F11 -14

Aye caramba!

That was a very expensive wheel...I suppose as it will be when you have to buy only one.

Anyway - I agree that it was the best way to find out, and not on the Autobahn. After all, it's only money.
Old 09-15-2009, 04:38 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: Jan 2006 E63 650i Sport . Options: Sport version (includes: sport-seats, sport-suspension, M-Sport steering wheel, Anthracite headliner, Shaddow Line), Saphire Black, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood trim, Steptronic Auto, Xenons, NAV-Professional with Voice Control, TV, CD-Changer, Bluetooth, Logic7, Head-up Display, Comfort Access, Seat Heating front, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Extended Auto Air Conditioning, PDC. . Mods: Spacers 5mm front & 15mm rear . Wheels: 20" Alpina Softline (Classic) with Dunlop Sport Maxx non-RFT (255/35/20 & 285/30/20)

Originally Posted by Patrick E61' post='1008057' date='Sep 15 2009, 12:45 PM
Ouch. Ouch. Ouch.

I washed my E61 on Sunday afternoon, and when driving it into the garage, I noticed that I had a partially flat tire. No big deal.

I used the trusty BMW Mobility Kit to get some air in to the tire today (worked fine) and then drove to Euromaster with the hope of getting the tire patched.

After having the tire checked three times, the mechanic discovered a long crack on the inside of the wheel, and then that part of the wheel had broken off.

I then called my guy at the local BMW garage and ordered a new 19" Style 166M wheel, and it will be here on Thursday. That is the good news - I need my car on Friday.

The bad news is that the new wheel will cost 670 Euros + installation.

soory to hear that.
As per my PM to you, contact AlexFW who I believe is selling one M5 rim.

Good luck
Old 09-15-2009, 04:52 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by xBMWx' post='1008100' date='Sep 15 2009, 03:38 PM
soory to hear that.
As per my PM to you, contact AlexFW who I believe is selling one M5 rim.

Good luck
He has a rear M5 wheel... I am not running staggered wheels.

No worries! The new front 166M wheel is on its way here from Sweden, and will arrive on Thursday morning.

I am relieved as well that the tire is ok. If that would have been shot, this would be a really expensive problem!
Old 09-15-2009, 05:47 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

Yeah I got your message Patrick! Sorry I was too busy to reply.

That is surprising the wheel is broken! Do you remember ever hitting anything with it?
Good thing is you are going to get it resolved soon .
Old 09-15-2009, 05:58 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Anzafin' post='1008127' date='Sep 15 2009, 04:47 PM
Yeah I got your message Patrick! Sorry I was too busy to reply.

That is surprising the wheel is broken! Do you remember ever hitting anything with it?
Good thing is you are going to get it resolved soon .
No worries about the reply - I just wanted to give you an update!

The only possible time that this could have happened was on the drives back and forth to our summer place. The last 12km is a dirt road, with a lot of exposed rocks and some rather large bumps. Still, I am as surprised about this as the guys at BMW, because the tire shows no sign of being abused.

I will take a pic when I get the wheel swapped.

And yes, they rape you when you only buy ONE wheel!
Old 09-17-2009, 06:31 AM
Contributors

I picked up the new 166M wheel today, and got everything taken care of.

I will try to get a pic of the crack later... but it is on the inside of the wheel, on the lip, and about 3cm long.

If I could get it fixed, I would. Not sure how something like this actually gets fixed however.

I now have three wheels that need a super clean up to match the new one!
Old 09-19-2009, 01:50 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: Jan 2006 E63 650i Sport . Options: Sport version (includes: sport-seats, sport-suspension, M-Sport steering wheel, Anthracite headliner, Shaddow Line), Saphire Black, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood trim, Steptronic Auto, Xenons, NAV-Professional with Voice Control, TV, CD-Changer, Bluetooth, Logic7, Head-up Display, Comfort Access, Seat Heating front, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Extended Auto Air Conditioning, PDC. . Mods: Spacers 5mm front & 15mm rear . Wheels: 20" Alpina Softline (Classic) with Dunlop Sport Maxx non-RFT (255/35/20 & 285/30/20)

Pleased to hear you got that sorted quickly

Now I hope that's taught you a lesson... don't try to get air in your E61 when driving over speed bumps

Quick Reply: Broken wheel