E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Bodykit for an '08 E61 (LCI)

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 03:31 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: alpine white 535 E61
Model Year: 08

Looks great..
Old 12-30-2011, 10:17 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vash68

I finally got around to installing Mtech body kit on my 2009 535xiT.

WOW your car looks amazing!!!

And thanks to all for the tips on re-use of the PDC's, those are expensive!

Mine is the same color and it looks a bit dull as standard LCI. I would also love to mount a M kit and I'm in research if possible, I've got a extra challenge over PDC. Mine has got a electronic tow hitch... Very sweet, but evreybody says that the rear won't fit... I will keep on trying to find a solution though! :-)
Old 01-03-2012, 03:32 PM
Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2009 535xiT Silver/Gray with Sport, Nav, Cold, Convenience, Logic7 and more.

Thanks guys! Now need new wheels and suspension. If only KW was more affordable..
Old 06-11-2017, 08:16 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: e61- cobb, f14, msport kit, isc
Model Year: 2009
Engine: n54

Hey Vash,

Car looks great! I also have an '09 535xiT. I just picked up a used m sport front bumper. I got the pdc sensors, lower mesh grill (with the brake ducts), and the fender liners (not sure I needed those). Question on your front bumper install - do I need any other parts? Like the upper and lower radiator ducts, and/or bumper support? Them sport bumper has the pre-lci pdc sensors, I'm guessing that's a straight swap?

Thanks,
Brian

Originally Posted by vash68

I finally got around to installing Mtech body kit on my 2009 535xiT. Some quick cell phone pix attached.
The front driver side lower grill has radar detector sticking out, I need to cut a nice plastic cover for it out of a night vision cover.
I ended up outsourcing the entire job to a body shop guy since I could not resist the price he quoted, but I stayed on top of things.

So, the conversion of PDC sensors was pretty easy, the most difficult part was drilling 18mm holes (used
11/16 step bit) in bumper covers and sanding them down - the end result looks just like stock bumpers. The 11/16 hole is a bit tight for LCI sensors, but this is where the black rubber sleeve around them helps by compressing.
And installer had to re-solder PDC cables in front bumper to add an extension cable.
PDC holders on new bumpers were glued with 3M adhesive in addition to existing sticky tape, so should be good forever now.
To simplify this task, I purchased a set of new PDC holders (front and rear - different PNs!) from BMW.
I have a few more detailed pix if interested.

So, yes, the LCI PDC sensors CAN be installed into non-PDC Mtech bodykit bumpers and you save about $1200 USD in a process. It think this is enough search tags for this post

The front bumper rebar was challenging since I have 3 ACC sensors attached to it (1 visible and 2 hidden under the bumper cover).
If I did not have those, we could have left an existing rebar in place, transfer 4 plastic mounting brackets for a new cover to an existing rebar (which are attached with rivets), and simply swap bumper covers.
The parts for a front air dam did not fit without cutting about 5 inches long off of a driver side vertical plastic piece which goes right behind kidney grill and runs down to the tranny cooler and sits in front of intercooler. The lower part had to be trimmed to allow for proper air flow.
My guess is that the kit was designed for non-turbo engines (pre-LCI) so BMW did not make appropriate air dam parts for N54 engine adaptation.

I got a bunch of plastic parts left overs (bumper holders, air dams for diff engines etc) and cables we never got to use.
You can guess my next project now
I need bigger wheels for this bad boy, so please let me know when you have some for sale in 18" (246 style) and 19" (128 style X3 fitment) and other cool looking wheels.