E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

BMW E61 530D 6HP26 Transmission weird noise.

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 03:53 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My E61 530D with automatic transmission. It has this kind of noise/sound/rattle/resonance:
Strange noise coming in transmission when the car idle.
When i put D or R noise disappears and when put gear to N or P noise start again.
Noise also disappears when i raise revs over 1200 in standstill.
Once sound disappears when i change transmission fluid but it came back shortly. Maybe it was coincidence.

Do somebody have same kind of noise? or am I the only one who has this issue??
Old 08-20-2011, 11:11 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that's weird. haven't heard of this problem so far.
sounds dreadful, like something is bouncing around in the box.
did you visit a workshop or found a solution/more info?
Old 08-31-2011, 11:56 AM
Members

Originally Posted by mmitev
that's weird. haven't heard of this problem so far.
sounds dreadful, like something is bouncing around in the box.
did you visit a workshop or found a solution/more info?
No i haven't find solution yet. All suggestions are welcome to find fault. the car has been doing this for about a month now, and the fault has not changed to any direction. I changed the exhaust manifold today but it was not due to a fault.
Old 08-31-2011, 12:14 PM
Senior Members

are you sure it's coming directly from your tranny itself or may be somewhere else? I had a similar noise awhile back and it turned out to be a bad water pump. I posted a video of my noise too. May be you can search for it and compare to your noise level.

GL
Old 08-31-2011, 12:48 PM
Members

Originally Posted by rctmthouse
are you sure it's coming directly from your tranny itself or may be somewhere else? I had a similar noise awhile back and it turned out to be a bad water pump. I posted a video of my noise too. May be you can search for it and compare to your noise level.

GL
Im not sure of anything right now Im pretty sure its not the waterpump because i cant hear noise from front of the car at all. Noise is loudest under the car or side of front door. I need to check damper pulley tomorrow. Bad damper pulley can do harmonic reconance too which enters the tranny? Transmission works normal and has no fault codes but noise is frustrating and annoying!
Old 09-01-2011, 01:37 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 E61 530D - Dynamic Drive - Active Front Steering Sport Seats - Voice Control - Head Up Display - Nav Pro - Bluetooth - Panoramic roof - Front/rear heated seats

Hello Mika,

This might be a long shot but perhaps worth looking into:

Automatic transmissions on the E60/E61 sometimes cause vibration and resonance within the exhaust system suspended by a rubber/metal fixing below the transmission itself and tunnel. There is an S/B for it and usually this manifests itself in D/S as soon as the car has warmed up and diminishes when in P/N. So basicly the opposite of your gear settings but I could envision slightly different conditions causing the exhaust to rattle on another frequency.

Usually the sound is more of a droning but who knows, guess it would be possible to quickly check whether the exhaust system is at fault by running the car on a bridge or over a greasepit?
Old 09-01-2011, 04:31 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Theo
Hello Mika,

This might be a long shot but perhaps worth looking into:

Automatic transmissions on the E60/E61 sometimes cause vibration and resonance within the exhaust system suspended by a rubber/metal fixing below the transmission itself and tunnel. There is an S/B for it and usually this manifests itself in D/S as soon as the car has warmed up and diminishes when in P/N. So basicly the opposite of your gear settings but I could envision slightly different conditions causing the exhaust to rattle on another frequency.

Usually the sound is more of a droning but who knows, guess it would be possible to quickly check whether the exhaust system is at fault by running the car on a bridge or over a greasepit?
Mine does the same.
In my case its only at mid-temperature. When I cold start the engine, it doesn't make any noise. When the engine and exhaust temperature starts to rise, the noise appears. When the temperature rises and gets closer to normal operating temperature, the noise disappears. You can easily check this by making pressure in the tail pipe. The noise will change (reduce/increase) or disappear.

Its not important, but it may be annoying.
Old 09-01-2011, 08:45 AM
Senior Members

I also have a droning type of noise, but independently of temperatures and only when accelerating from standstill. Or at least that's when I can hear it. Its annoying, like my exhaust has a hole somewhere. But no mechanic has been able to see any fault with the exhaust. Maybe it's the kind of resonance from the auto box, no idea. It appeared 1 year ago, when the car had 150.000 km on it.
Old 09-01-2011, 11:01 AM
Members

I'm pretty sure its not the exhaust either but i'm not 100% sure yet.. i post earlier that i change exhaust manifold yesterday so i take half exhaust pipe off too and i doesn't notice any abnormal. Could be a flex plate or torque converter? Sound coming near of those, bethween tranny and engine. But its possible some other part shake somewhere else and vibrates the torque converter or flex plate or something.. I hope somebody understand my bad english
Old 09-02-2011, 01:39 AM
Members

My Ride: BMW E61 530d

drone from exhaust, which looks like You have hole in exhaust system could be starting of DPF regeneration cycle.

Quick Reply: BMW E61 530D 6HP26 Transmission weird noise.