E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

BMW considering bringing 5 Series Touring back to U.S.

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 01:11 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 530d M Sport Touring : Carbon Black : Half Leather : Pro DVD Sav Nav : TV : Active Cruise : Front/Rear Parking : Bluetooth Phone : 6 CD : Dark Poplar Wood : Folding Mirrors : 5 year Servicing Pack

I still don't understand why they'd say they wouldn't bring it over in the first place.

If it's for sale in Europe, then it's not like they have to construct a LHD version for one market. And if the saloon's already for sale in the US, then all the conversions will be done.

Admittedly if the numbers are low over there I can understand why they might not have thousands sitting around for immediate delvivery, but why you couldn't order a factory one is beyond me.
Old 11-14-2011, 08:36 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2010 535 xi - M Sport Pkg & other goodies

I don't think the costs of getting it certified by US transport dept. are justified for the low numbers sold...
Old 11-14-2011, 10:49 AM
Senior Members

I think the real problem is the quality of the US diesel fuel. I suspect BMW is worried about problems with injectors and particle filters.

Otherwise, I test-drove a F01 740d with 3.0 litre engine with 2 step-up turbines and 306 HP a few months ago and I have to say this car was incredible. The poise, power and linear delivery of the engine was unbelievable (compared to my 3.0 diesel with 1 turbine).

And as the official fuel consumption was around 6.0 litre / 100 km, I believe a real-world consumption of 7.5-8.0 litres out of town is absolutely realistic. And this is a 2.0 tonne luxury limo with sporty abilities! I was really impressed.
Old 11-14-2011, 06:33 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2010 535 xi - M Sport Pkg & other goodies

I assumed by "it" Kell was referring to the wagon in general, which is what my post was about, but I can see that as others above started discussing a diesel engine, that's what you are referring to, MMITEV.

As far as why wagons are not being brought over, my comment still stands. If and when that happens, then I suppose your reasoning as to why diesels within the lineup aren't offered could be valid...

But the price of gas is relatively so cheap here still that a major part of the lack-of-diesel-engine-choice issue is really because consumers aren't buying them. No demand, no supply.
Old 11-15-2011, 03:22 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 530d M Sport Touring : Carbon Black : Half Leather : Pro DVD Sav Nav : TV : Active Cruise : Front/Rear Parking : Bluetooth Phone : 6 CD : Dark Poplar Wood : Folding Mirrors : 5 year Servicing Pack

Originally Posted by Lotus99
I assumed by "it" Kell was referring to the wagon in general, which is what my post was about, but I can see that as others above started discussing a diesel engine, that's what you are referring to, MMITEV.

As far as why wagons are not being brought over, my comment still stands. If and when that happens, then I suppose your reasoning as to why diesels within the lineup aren't offered could be valid...

But the price of gas is relatively so cheap here still that a major part of the lack-of-diesel-engine-choice issue is really because consumers aren't buying them. No demand, no supply.
In fairness, the UK was predominantly a petrol market until 15-10 years ago. Modern diesel engines combined with lower fuel costs (then) meant that many made the switch.

Of course in typcial fashion, the gov then put the price of diesel up, so now it costs more than petrol. As the initial purchase price of a diesel is greater and the fuel costs more, it would have to be a lot more efficient these days to make it a worthwhile new purchase.

And isn't the cost of fuel in the US partly so low, because the octane rating is so low? No idea how the diesel cetane ratings compare, but I know 'regular' fuel in Europe is 95RON, and premium is about 97/98/99. How does that compare?
Old 11-15-2011, 03:48 AM
Members

And isn't the cost of fuel in the US partly so low, because the octane rating is so low? No idea how the diesel cetane ratings compare, but I know 'regular' fuel in Europe is 95RON, and premium is about 97/98/99. How does that compare?
The fuel AKI (anti-knock index) grading system used in North America is derived from (RON + MON)/2. Our 87 AKI fuel ("regular" at low elevations) is about the same as 91 RON, and our 93 AKI fuel ("premium" at low elevations) is about the same as 97 RON.

U.S. fuel taxes are MUCH lower than in the U.K. and much of Europe.

HTH,
Jim / crewzer