5Series.net - Forums

5Series.net - Forums (https://5series.net/forums/)
-   E61 Touring Discussion (https://5series.net/forums/e61-touring-discussion-4/)
-   -   Battery drainage after not turning car on for a couple days (https://5series.net/forums/e61-touring-discussion-4/battery-drainage-after-not-turning-car-couple-days-151954/)

thedoodwitamullet 09-08-2021 05:26 PM

Battery drainage after not turning car on for a couple days

Is this normal? What causes the battery drainage? The alarm? It throws a code 2DED... Anyone familiar with this. I am running mhd and xhp, not aure if that makes a difference. If I start the car everyday I wont get the code but if it has been longer than 24 hours it'll throw that specific code. Can somebody explain this to me?

seanjordan20 09-08-2021 08:14 PM

Is the car going to sleep. After about an hour at night look in through the window to see if the gear shifter lights are off. Something is not turning off. You may have to do a parasitic drain test to find it. If you've added something recently and it started then I would unplug it to see if that is the cause

thedoodwitamullet 09-09-2021 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by seanjordan20 (Post 1611780)
Is the car going to sleep. After about an hour at night look in through the window to see if the gear shifter lights are off. Something is not turning off. You may have to do a parasitic drain test to find it. If you've added something recently and it started then I would unplug it to see if that is the cause

Yeah the lights turn off the shifter and the alarm light flashes red. It's a salvage title due to rain getting to the battery but everything is all changed out and new... The battery is over a year old. Parasitic drain test? How is that done?

donpb 09-09-2021 05:06 PM

If its going to sleep, you most likely do not have any parasitic current draw.

Poowill 09-13-2021 04:29 AM

I chased down a battery drain as well. Best bet is to check for moisture below the battery. If there is- than clean the drain holes that catch water from the pano roof. They can get clogged and can drain to battery compartment.

Do you know if the Intelligent Battery Sensor (IBS) was replaced with battery? The IBS sensor is very finicky so plan on replacing that first then make sure to reset the battery learning. The IBS can cause a lot of issues with abnormal battery issues. When I bought mine they replaced the battery and didn’t program it. My IBS either went bad or because of it killed the battery in < 2 years. Save yourself the headache of trying to track down battery drain and replace the IBS and Battery then do programming and see if issue is resolved. Obviously if you find water Underneath the battery make sure to fix that first.

msportwagon 09-23-2021 12:33 PM

i am dealing with something similar. I had an old battery and was getting the high drain message. I replaced the battery with the exact same model and still get the message after the car sits for a few days. The only thing I noticed that is different is that the range for my remote is shorter and the comfort access doesn't always engage (fob battery is fine)

kd7iwp 09-24-2021 07:24 AM

If comfort access and remote range aren't so great I'm guessing the antenna amplifier is going out. Man, that is so common on E61s. I replaced mine a few years ago and it helped my range quite a bit, also my radio reception. The E61 amps on eBay were really expensive but if you can find one from a 6 series of the time it has a different part number and can be much cheaper. Someone told me that so I got one from a 645 and it works great. I guess it's the oldest part on my car since it was from an '06 and I have an '09 535xi.

thedoodwitamullet 09-24-2021 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by kd7iwp (Post 1611912)
If comfort access and remote range aren't so great I'm guessing the antenna amplifier is going out. Man, that is so common on E61s. I replaced mine a few years ago and it helped my range quite a bit, also my radio reception. The E61 amps on eBay were really expensive but if you can find one from a 6 series of the time it has a different part number and can be much cheaper. Someone told me that so I got one from a 645 and it works great. I guess it's the oldest part on my car since it was from an '06 and I have an '09 535xi.

My key fob doesn't work its never worked since I got the car, but the seats do adjust when I turn the car on so thats working.. .

thedoodwitamullet 09-24-2021 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by thedoodwitamullet (Post 1611913)
My key fob doesn't work its never worked since I got the car, but the seats do adjust when I turn the car on so thats working.. .

I'm getting upgraded turbos and some other maintenance things done, ill have my mechanic chase it down, he actually has the exact same car so it's great he should be able to figure it out. Absolutely no codes come up when I scan with my professional BMW scanner it's crazy, drives me nuts. I just been starting the car up daily. My hpfp seems like it's taking a shit because it reads around 2500 then drops to 700 after the car warms up.