5Series.net - Forums

5Series.net - Forums (https://5series.net/forums/)
-   E61 Touring Discussion (https://5series.net/forums/e61-touring-discussion-4/)
-   -   Bad Friday (https://5series.net/forums/e61-touring-discussion-4/bad-friday-39857/)

Mike O 05-07-2007 10:33 PM

I normally work at home Fridays so I wasn't best pleased to be called into the office for a meeting. I was even less pleased when on my way back home after the meeting an undercover cop on a motorbike side-swiped my car leaving long dents down both doors on the left hand side!

Spent an hour at the accident scene in the company of six police officers (two in two unmarked traffic cars), three scenes of crime officers (who came to collect the motorbike in an MPV), a colleague of the officer who hit me, an ambulance crew (for the officer who had come off his biike) and just for five minutes two other paramedics in an emergency response car.

The traffic police took my details, gave me a breath test (negative result of course), wouldn't let me speak to the officer who was on the motorbike and then sent me on my way promising to send me their insurance details (we'll see what happens about that). Luckily my insurer was able to identify the police insurer from the motorbike registration plus I've got an incident number and the name and collar tag of the traffic officer so hopefully there won't be any issues getting the police to pay-out.

Taking my car into the repair shop for an insurance estimate on Wednesday - hopefully it won't take them too long to get the car in for repair. :mad:

Scandic24 05-08-2007 01:19 AM

Sorry to hear...not what you'd expect from the "strong arm of the law" :-)
...or was it a crash test dummy of the law?
I hope things turn out OK.

cwohughes 05-08-2007 01:24 AM

Originally Posted by Mike O' post='422135' date='May 8 2007, 01:33 AM
I normally work at home Fridays so I wasn't best pleased to be called into the office for a meeting. I was even less pleased when on my way back home after the meeting an undercover cop on a motorbike side-swiped my car leaving long dents down both doors on the left hand side!

Spent an hour at the accident scene in the company of six police officers (two in two unmarked traffic cars), three scenes of crime officers (who came to collect the motorbike in an MPV), a colleague of the officer who hit me, an ambulance crew (for the officer who had come off his biike) and just for five minutes two other paramedics in an emergency response car.

The traffic police took my details, gave me a breath test (negative result of course), wouldn't let me speak to the officer who was on the motorbike and then sent me on my way promising to send me their insurance details (we'll see what happens about that). Luckily my insurer was able to identify the police insurer from the motorbike registration plus I've got an incident number and the name and collar tag of the traffic officer so hopefully there won't be any issues getting the police to pay-out.

Taking my car into the repair shop for an insurance estimate on Wednesday - hopefully it won't take them too long to get the car in for repair. :mad:

They should have given the police officer the breath test.

Mike O 05-08-2007 02:18 AM

Originally Posted by cwohughes' post='422165' date='May 8 2007, 04:24 AM
They should have given the police officer the breath test.

Apparently they did although it was out of my sight in the ambulance. To be fair, I did see a copy of the form that is filled in when a breath test is taken which is where I got the officer's name from (because the other police around certainly weren't going to tell me)!

Mike O 05-08-2007 02:20 AM

Originally Posted by Scandic24' post='422163' date='May 8 2007, 04:19 AM
Sorry to hear...not what you'd expect from the "strong arm of the law" :-)
...or was it a crash test dummy of the law?
I hope things turn out OK.

From what I could tell from the almost silent officer, he did hurt his strong arm of the law which is why he wanted an ambulance! Not being cynical at all but I think he needed to have the ambulance there to provide evidence for any sick days he wants to take off.

aqkhan6us 05-08-2007 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by Mike O' post='422135' date='May 8 2007, 01:33 AM

So Stupid, I think
-how close was he (to your car), many bikers they do not stay in middle of the lane ?
-he should had Breath test
-he should have given U his details
-Imagine this happened by u to him/cop- It would been a more complex
-Some think they are above the law and to protect us ?

I do not like two wheeler motor bikes in general
- their irritating and polluting noise(pollution, effects on our hearing-ears),
- Two bikes driving in the same lane side by side and even single biker do not stay in middle of the lane
- the way they dress and look with extras - O my God
- when they go in groups or single and the the way pass/overtake

They need some laws/regulations.

Mike O 05-08-2007 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by aqkhan6us' post='422194' date='May 8 2007, 08:45 AM
So Stupid, I think
-how close was he (to your car), many bikers they do not stay in middle of the lane ?
-he should had Breath test
-he should have given U his details
-Imagine this happened by u to him/cop- It would been a more complex
-Some think they are above the law and to protect us ?

I do not like two wheeler motor bikes in general
- their irritating and polluting noise(pollution, effects on our hearing-ears),
- Two bikes driving in the same lane side by side and even single biker do not stay in middle of the lane
- the way they dress and look with extras - O my God
- when they go in groups or single and the the way pass/overtake

They need some laws/regulations.

You are right, many bikers don't seem to care about the speed they travel at or worry about passing in the wrong lane - the other week I saw a motorbike weave back and forth across three lanes of traffic at a very high speed just to get ahead of the traffic. Many don't understand that if a car hits them they will get hurt. The traffic policeman who attended my accident said that he has seen bikers lose arms or legs at accidents as slow as 30mph.

rort1 05-08-2007 10:11 AM

aqkhan6us I sincerely hope you are joking with a post like that!

info@trinityautosport 05-08-2007 05:51 PM

that sucks.. sorry to hear about that. hope everything turns out alright and the damages are fixed and that youll have better days :)

Mike O 05-09-2007 03:09 AM

Originally Posted by NeRwEEzy' post='422388' date='May 8 2007, 08:51 PM
that sucks.. sorry to hear about that. hope everything turns out alright and the damages are fixed and that youll have better days :)

Thanks, I hope that since I'm dealing with the local police that the insurance claim will go smoothly (otherwise I will kick up a fuss with the local politicians, papers, etc.). So far I've had the car looked at by the bodyshop and it is booked in for repair next week. Looks as the courtesy car will be a Ford Ka or something similarly small and horrid though!