E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Anyone strongly consider an SUV before deciding on the E61?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2006, 07:21 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I still have the dilema on whether to go with a SUV or another wagon? I really want an SUV as my daily driver to replace my E500. But I think if I get one, my wife will end up with it once our baby arrives in August and I'll be driving our existing '02 allroad. That's what has me thinking about getting another wagon.

What would you do?
Old 02-22-2006, 08:15 AM
Members

I considered a 4x4 but as mine is a Co car i just couldn't justify the 35% taxable benefit when my E61 520d is 19% (a difference in tax payable of ?250 per month)
Old 02-22-2006, 12:10 PM
Members

Originally Posted by PUZZ1' post='244228' date='Feb 22 2006, 10:21 AM
I still have the dilema on whether to go with a SUV or another wagon? I really want an SUV as my daily driver to replace my E500. But I think if I get one, my wife will end up with it once our baby arrives in August and I'll be driving our existing '02 allroad. That's what has me thinking about getting another wagon.

What would you do?
I got rid of an X3 for the E61. Quite simply, the E61 drives like a BMW and an SUV (any brand including BMW) drives like an SUV. The E61 also has more useable cargo space and is much more comfortable for passengers as well as the driver. It just depends on what you want.
Old 02-22-2006, 12:56 PM
Members

My Ride: due March 1st - 535d M, carbon black, black leather, maple wood, pro sat nav, bluetooth and telematics, folding ext mirrors, high gloss shadow line, sun protection glass, adaptive xenons, towbar, sports seats

Originally Posted by PUZZ1' post='244228' date='Feb 22 2006, 04:21 PM

What would you do?

I have had an X5 4.4i Sport for the last 3 years which I have sold, and I am about to take delivery of a 535d M Touring.

I loved my X5 but was getting fed up with a few things about it.

We have one child, one on the way and a dog and actually began to run out of space. I was also getting bored of the crap dished out by the anti 4x4 brigade (scratched paintwork, someone spraying 'killer' on the bonnet, offensive notes, people shouting at my wife while she was driving it , funnily enough never when I was with her! brave of them eh?). And the petrol consumption was really getting silly.

I went for the Touring for a bit more useable space, an easier life and less trips to the petrol station. I looked at lots of alternatives including range rovers, defenders, Audi RS6 Avant, etc and kept coming back to the E61 time and time again.

Dunno if that helps but thats my story. Good luck with the baby and the car.
Old 02-22-2006, 01:38 PM
Members

My Ride: E61 525i SE Touring Automatic - Titanium Grey II, Auburn-Dakota Leather, 17" Light Alloy Wheels Star-Spoke Styling 138, Anthracite Headlining, Maple Wood, Electric Front Seats, Front Seat Heating, Automatic Air Conditioning Advanced, Navigation System Professional, Bluetooth phone prep, Professional radio, Hi-Fi Loudspeaker system, Park Distance Control, Rear Side Airbags, Side Blinds

Space isn't the key difference between an SUV like the X5 or Cayenne and a E61.

The difference is the ride and the image unless you need to have the offroad capability of the SUV ( which actually nobody really needs). Few people will argue that the E61 gives you the more rewarding driving experience - so its down to image at the end.

I believe the tough / go anywhere image of the SUV as one of the key reason for most people that bought one. If that specific image is what appeals to you take the SUV / for all other reasons the E61.

That's at least how I made the decision to go for the E61 instead of a SUV
Old 02-22-2006, 01:40 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E61 530d Touring, May 2004

E61 Touring for cert
Old 02-23-2006, 03:17 AM
Members

Hi,

this is my first comment in this forum, but I think I can help here a little bit. I drove a X5 3.0D SUV before I will change right now for a 530 xD series and that's why:

1. The X5 does not have a big trunk, it looks like big but really is a lot smaller than the trunk in the 5 series.

2. While driving in Germany the X5 is best with max of 160 km/h, more I do not feel comfortable so much like e.g. in my 1 series, where driving with 180 km/h is very comfortable.

3. Comparing the X5 SUV the 5 series is a lot newer, idrive and a lot of other components are not offered within the X5 series.

4. And last but not least: I pay less money for the 5 series (or get better discount) and even looks great too.
Old 02-24-2006, 12:17 AM
Members

My Ride: 525d E61, M-Package in Carbonblack, DVB-T and X-Box installed

@Swisscow: Finally found also this forum? Check out the Germany meeting here!

We though about the Touareg and the Volvo XC90 before taking the E61 Series. But to start from the beginning...

We drove a 330d and needed to change because of our first kid coming. So first: It needs to have more space for the kid's stuff. We headed for an SUV as my wife loves them. We testdrove the XC90, which was fine, but much different to the 330d. Ok, we could deal with it. The second test drove was the Touareg. I didn't like that even after 1 second really driving it. Hard to overview, I felt much less space than in the XC90 etc. So we headed for the XC90 and a second test drive. On this we recognized, that the seats did not fit good enough (as I like driving curves ). In addition the "loadingedge" was too high for my wife lift to stroller in. So we headed for a station wagon. We thought about the new 330d Touring, but close before ordering we thought about it's price and the space it's offering. So we finally headed for the 525d E61 with high equipment.

To make a long story short: The best choice I can think about looking back!

regs
Volkmar
Old 02-26-2006, 03:10 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 520d M-sport - Steptronic - Carbon Black - Auburn Leather - Mem Seat - Cup Holders - Nav Pro - Light Pack - Dim/folding mirrors - Adv Airco - PDC - Aux/in - Non-smoke pack - De-badged - Delivery Mar 31, 2006

Why buy an SUV for daily use if the only time you go off-road is when you have to park on the lawn at the yearly golf tournament?
Old 02-26-2006, 09:54 AM
Members

My Ride: BMW 523i M Sport Touring (Auto) - Silver Grey VW Touareg 2.5tdi Sport (Auto) - Shadow Blue

Hi,

I currently own a Touareg 2.5tdi Sport - we live in the middle of no where and have to cross, basically a field to get to our house, plus do need to tow things regularly. However, the Treg is going on Tuesday for a E61 - why? - although IMHO the Treg has the WOW factor to look at, it is basically horrid to drive at any decent speed, plus is noisy and slow.

I'll let you know how the 5 gets on across the field next week

Kaine