E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Anyone have the metal dog guard/pet barrier?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 06:54 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 530d Sport Touring (E61). Silver Grey, Automatic, Professional SatNav, Black Leather, Heated Seats, Folding Mirrors, 6CD changer, Bi-Xenons, Bluetooth

Originally Posted by KAF' post='459635' date='Aug 17 2007, 07:03 AM
The net is designed to stop your full load of cargo hitting you, it will more than handle 45 Kgs of dog.
:thumbsdown: Sorry but I don't believe it. Not only don't I believe it but I wouldn't even risk putting my dog behind something so flimsy looking. If BMW were so sure of their cargo net then why do they bother selling a fully engineered metal dog guard?
Old 08-17-2007, 10:29 AM
KAF
Contributors

My Ride: F11 535i M-Sport,, Silver, Black Leather, LED Adaptive headlights
Model Year: 2015
Engine: N55

Originally Posted by Mike O' post='459679' date='Aug 17 2007, 03:54 PM
:thumbsdown: Sorry but I don't believe it. Not only don't I believe it but I wouldn't even risk putting my dog behind something so flimsy looking. If BMW were so sure of their cargo net then why do they bother selling a fully engineered metal dog guard?
My car comes with wheels, does not stop BMW selling other types, 'cause people will buy them.

The metal dog guard cannot be chewed through, some dogs would eat through the net. The dog guard serves a good purpose, but if it is only to stop your dog hitting your head in a collision, the net will do that.
Old 08-19-2007, 09:58 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 530d Sport Touring (E61). Silver Grey, Automatic, Professional SatNav, Black Leather, Heated Seats, Folding Mirrors, 6CD changer, Bi-Xenons, Bluetooth

Originally Posted by KAF' post='459776' date='Aug 17 2007, 01:29 PM
My car comes with wheels, does not stop BMW selling other types, 'cause people will buy them.
The metal dog guard cannot be chewed through, some dogs would eat through the net. The dog guard serves a good purpose, but if it is only to stop your dog hitting your head in a collision, the net will do that.
You are obviously in an argumentative mood - so I won't bother arguing!!
Old 08-20-2007, 01:27 PM
KAF
Contributors

Originally Posted by Mike O' post='460359' date='Aug 20 2007, 06:58 AM
You are obviously in an argumentative mood - so I won't bother arguing!!
No, not arguing, just offering a different persective on why BMW produce and some people buy a fully engineered dog guard.

If somebody has a dog who is determined to get into the passenger area, the cargo net is about as much use as a handbrake on a canoe!

But for a dog who just sits in the back brain dead, like mine, I felt the net was fine.
Old 08-20-2007, 09:47 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by KAF' post='460576' date='Aug 20 2007, 04:27 PM
No, not arguing, just offering a different persective on why BMW produce and some people buy a fully engineered dog guard.

If somebody has a dog who is determined to get into the passenger area, the cargo net is about as much use as a handbrake on a canoe!

But for a dog who just sits in the back brain dead, like mine, I felt the net was fine.
Fair enough - our dog (German Shepherd) is far too devious. My wife once ended up 'wearing' one of our old dogs like a fur stole around her shoulders when the dog pushed past one of the after-market flimsy dog guards, climbed over the back seat and onto the back of my wife's seat (she was driving at the time).
Old 08-25-2007, 11:14 AM
Members

My Ride: 06 530xiT M

Originally Posted by Mike O' post='460762' date='Aug 20 2007, 11:47 PM
Fair enough - our dog (German Shepherd) is far too devious. My wife once ended up 'wearing' one of our old dogs like a fur stole around her shoulders when the dog pushed past one of the after-market flimsy dog guards, climbed over the back seat and onto the back of my wife's seat (she was driving at the time).
Here's a slightly different perspective. Have you ever seen the Hannenkham downhill ski race? They don't put up metal mesh walls to catch the skiiers when they go careening off the course.

I agree that the steel cage will keep the pooch out of the back seat much better and is resitant to being chewed, but I'd rather have my 80lbs of Chesapeake Bay Retreiver caught by a net than bouncing off a metal cage in the event of a collision.

This comes from experience, we had Legacy GT with the metal grate (factory) and were in in a very minor collision. Several hundred dollars at the vet later with stiches to the dog's eyebrow we ended up taking the guard out and selling it and using a net instead. The vet asked to see the grate and pointed out where the damage had been inflicted. The dog lived but in that there was $0 damage to our car or us we felt pretty bad for the dog. He wasn't real keen on car rides after that.

So as with everything it depends on personal preference. We prefer the net, even if it does mean a slobbery head on the shoulder of a rear seat passenger.
Old 08-27-2007, 11:18 AM
KAF
Contributors

Originally Posted by jbeene' post='462458' date='Aug 25 2007, 08:14 PM
even if it does mean a slobbery head on the shoulder of a rear seat passenger.
I do hope you are talking about the dog !!
Old 08-27-2007, 11:23 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by jbeene' post='462458' date='Aug 25 2007, 02:14 PM
Here's a slightly different perspective. Have you ever seen the Hannenkham downhill ski race? They don't put up metal mesh walls to catch the skiiers when they go careening off the course.

I agree that the steel cage will keep the pooch out of the back seat much better and is resitant to being chewed, but I'd rather have my 80lbs of Chesapeake Bay Retreiver caught by a net than bouncing off a metal cage in the event of a collision.

This comes from experience, we had Legacy GT with the metal grate (factory) and were in in a very minor collision. Several hundred dollars at the vet later with stiches to the dog's eyebrow we ended up taking the guard out and selling it and using a net instead. The vet asked to see the grate and pointed out where the damage had been inflicted. The dog lived but in that there was $0 damage to our car or us we felt pretty bad for the dog. He wasn't real keen on car rides after that.

So as with everything it depends on personal preference. We prefer the net, even if it does mean a slobbery head on the shoulder of a rear seat passenger.
Each to their own - we'll be sticking to metal barriers. In fact, my wife has a fully enclosed vehicle kennel (with an emergency escape door before anyone asks about a rear end accident blocking the only access) in the back of her X3. We go to a lot of dog shows and the extra rigid metal also acts as a barrier to dog thieves.
Old 11-21-2018, 09:44 AM
New Members

My Ride: 535i xDrive E61
Model Year: 2010

Anyone know if I can still get on of these in the US?

Amazon and eBay are not showing anything.
Old 11-25-2018, 06:57 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2010, E61, 535i xDrive
Model Year: 2010

It must be a hard find. The net works very well, if you have a small dog, like mine (30 lbs), raise the side head rests, that keeps most dogs from jumping into the rear seat.

Last edited by pocholin; 11-25-2018 at 07:00 AM.