E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Anyone have the metal dog guard/pet barrier?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 08:58 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We need a pet barrier for the E61. I bought a generic aftermarket one, but it doesn't fit well because of the hump on the roof in the cargo area. (By the way, what the hell is that for? Needed for the panoramic sunroof?)

I looked at the UK 5 Series Touring accessories PDF, and it lists a dog guard with no picture. I also found a part on realoem.com which I assume to be the same item.

Anyone have this installed on their touring?
Old 07-16-2007, 05:16 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 530d Sport Touring (E61). Silver Grey, Automatic, Professional SatNav, Black Leather, Heated Seats, Folding Mirrors, 6CD changer, Bi-Xenons, Bluetooth

Originally Posted by poeka' post='446790' date='Jul 12 2007, 11:58 AM
We need a pet barrier for the E61. I bought a generic aftermarket one, but it doesn't fit well because of the hump on the roof in the cargo area. (By the way, what the hell is that for? Needed for the panoramic sunroof?)

I looked at the UK 5 Series Touring accessories PDF, and it lists a dog guard with no picture. I also found a part on realoem.com which I assume to be the same item.

Anyone have this installed on their touring?
Yes, I've got the dog guard installed in my Touring. The top part locks into place using the same sockets that the flexible net divider clips into whilst the bottom of the guard is bolted to a bracket that fits onto the rear folding seatback locking mechanism. It's very secure and doesn't rattle if fitted correctly.
Old 07-16-2007, 10:27 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Mike O' post='448352' date='Jul 16 2007, 06:16 AM
Yes, I've got the dog guard installed in my Touring. The top part locks into place using the same sockets that the flexible net divider clips into whilst the bottom of the guard is bolted to a bracket that fits onto the rear folding seatback locking mechanism. It's very secure and doesn't rattle if fitted correctly.
Mike, a big thank you for the reply! How hard is it to unbolt the guard from the bracket? I don't see myself removing it except for the odd occasion here or there.
Old 07-16-2007, 09:52 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 530d Sport Touring (E61). Silver Grey, Automatic, Professional SatNav, Black Leather, Heated Seats, Folding Mirrors, 6CD changer, Bi-Xenons, Bluetooth

Originally Posted by poeka' post='448435' date='Jul 16 2007, 01:27 PM
Mike, a big thank you for the reply! How hard is it to unbolt the guard from the bracket? I don't see myself removing it except for the odd occasion here or there.
Very easy. no more than 2 minutes and most of that time is spent unscrewing the bolts holding the guard and brackets together with an allen key. When bolted up to the guard the brackets are held in tension against the fixed locating latches that the back seat locks against so you'll also have to pull the back seats forward a little to remove them.
Old 07-24-2007, 08:12 AM
KAF
Contributors

My Ride: F11 535i M-Sport,, Silver, Black Leather, LED Adaptive headlights
Model Year: 2015
Engine: N55

Just used the pull up cargo net.

Well behaved dog justs rests his head on it !
Old 07-24-2007, 02:18 PM
Members

Originally Posted by KAF' post='451458' date='Jul 24 2007, 09:12 AM
Just used the pull up cargo net.

Well behaved dog justs rests his head on it !
And non-well behaved dogs squeeze around the side!
Old 07-24-2007, 09:53 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by poeka' post='451565' date='Jul 24 2007, 05:18 PM
Too true, I've had 70 pounds of German Shepherd Dog leaning on my shoulder and licking my ear in the past and I'm not about to repeat the experience!!

My wife has gone one stage further and has ordered a custom fitted car kennel for her X3.
Old 08-03-2007, 03:00 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by poeka' post='451565' date='Jul 25 2007, 12:18 AM
Get a bigger dog!
Joke aside, I just use the roll-up net and it works fine with my labrador.
Old 08-05-2007, 09:46 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Scandic24' post='455048' date='Aug 3 2007, 06:00 PM
Get a bigger dog!
Joke aside, I just use the roll-up net and it works fine with my labrador.
There is a another reason for having the metal guard though and that's if the car is involved in an accident - I'm not sure the roll-up net would stop a large dog from going straight through the car and hitting the driver/passenger from behind. They say that the average sized rear passenger doing the same would have an effective weight of 3 tons so I don't think a big dog would be much less!

I'll stick with the metal dog guard...
Old 08-17-2007, 04:03 AM
KAF
Contributors

My Ride: F11 535i M-Sport,, Silver, Black Leather, LED Adaptive headlights
Model Year: 2015
Engine: N55

Originally Posted by Mike O' post='455711' date='Aug 6 2007, 06:46 AM
There is a another reason for having the metal guard though and that's if the car is involved in an accident - I'm not sure the roll-up net would stop a large dog from going straight through the car and hitting the driver/passenger from behind. They say that the average sized rear passenger doing the same would have an effective weight of 3 tons so I don't think a big dog would be much less!

I'll stick with the metal dog guard...

The net is designed to stop your full load of cargo hitting you, it will more than handle 45 Kgs of dog.

Quick Reply: Anyone have the metal dog guard/pet barrier?