E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Another Unicorn Lost...

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2017, 07:26 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2009 E61 535i xdrive
Unhappy Another Unicorn Lost...

It's taken me more than a month to post this, as I am still grieving, but...

My 2009 535 touring 6MT was totaled by a "distracted driver" a couple of months ago. Thankfully no one was hurt in the accident, but I knew right away she was a goner.

I had looked for the car for years, hoped to keep it forever, and had put in the work and money to make that a real possibility: KW V3, M5 swaybars, walnut blasting, new transfer case, rewired and did various problem solving on the hatch, all new control arms and tie rods, too much to even mention. I wanted to say thank you--and goodbye--to this forum; although I didn't post regularly, I benefited tremendously from your research, experimentation, experience, and ingenuity. The E61 is a truly incredible--and as I have discovered--irreplaceable car. I will always cherish the years that I had mine and encourage you to do the same and not take this car for granted.

Even though insurance did the best they could for us, there was never going to be any way that we would be truly compensated in terms of "replacement value."

We are now owners of a fully-loaded F31 M-Sport. There is a ton to love about the new car--it looks amazing, the gadgets are cool, the sport seats are fantastic, the auto-transmission is surprisingly good and even engaging when paddle shifting in sport mode. We are doing our part to temporarily keep the BMW wagon alive in the USA. But I miss the beast that was the N54 and the steering feel--and ability--of my E61 on KW V3s with Pilot Super Sports.

Fare thee well! And thank you again.
Old 08-08-2017, 09:18 AM
New Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 535xi touring
Model Year: 2008

That sucks to hear. Good luck with the new car.
Old 08-08-2017, 06:51 PM
New Members

My Ride: white
Model Year: 1947
Engine: b38

Originally Posted by grilledcheese
My 2009 535 touring 6MT was totaled by a "distracted driver" a couple of months ago...
R.I.P. E61 MT!

And happy to hear that none of you were injured. (texter? sooooo tired of waiting at stop lights well after the green for idiots to return to the here and now from their instagram moment... and yet my significant other becomes perturbed at ME as I utter my usual, "DRIVE YOUR FRICKING CAR PLEASE!!")

I've seen some F31 FUNS that tempted me. A 328 or new 330?
Old 08-09-2017, 06:08 PM
New Members

"I only looked down for a minute." Famous last words.

Got the 328 (LCI) mainly because of the set of options I was looking for (essentially all of them), but was aware of reports that the N20 is a better performer than the B48--specs on the engines are essentially the same. Obviously would love to have the B58, but we don't get that.
Old 08-11-2017, 08:32 AM
New Members

My Ride: white
Model Year: 1947
Engine: b38

Originally Posted by grilledcheese
was aware of reports that the N20 is a better performer than the B48--specs on the engines are essentially the same...
I think that there are currently more tuning options for the B48, so they lend to performing better. In your case you will have to be careful not to void the CPO warranty if you opt for a tune.
Old 09-04-2017, 06:42 AM
New Members

Yeah, I will probably wait a bit for the tune.

Although the more I drive, the more I want coilovers. Hard to go from KW V3s to stock x-drive 3-er suspension. Thinking PSS10s.
Old 09-04-2017, 06:42 AM
New Members

Also, if anybody needs a new cargo cover, I have one for sale in the classified area.