E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Another Project Wagon

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2019, 10:02 AM
New Members

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
My Ride: 535i xDrive Sport Wagon (E61)
Model Year: 2010 E61
Engine: N54

Looks like a great event - shame I missed it!
Old 09-12-2019, 01:59 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
My Ride: E61 with all the mods
Model Year: 2008

Serviced the transmission:
- New pan/filter
- New mechatronics sealing sleeves
- Fluid flush
- Painfully slow fluid filling procedure using an infrared thermometer

The following users liked this post:
ThatNewGuy (09-18-2019)
Old 09-13-2019, 04:30 AM
New Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: N/A
Model Year: N/A
Engine: N/A

All this work is very similar to what I have and want to do to my E61. Not sure on the paddle shifters but a SAT retrofit would be cool. My front bumper is toast. I like that M5 style front bumper.

No no interior plans as yet though I would like to add rear seat heat and the door sunshade panels. I actually lug passengers around in the back quite often and they are nice to have features.

Really nice ice work in here
Old 10-20-2019, 05:30 PM
New Members

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 5 series 530xi sports wagon
Model Year: 2006

Those are some pretty tall chain link fences you parked next to.
Old 01-28-2020, 01:09 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by ucsbwsr
Thanks for the kind words. I have never been a fan of M badges. On my old E39 M5 I debadged it, IMO no need to show what it is, enthusiasts should know and if people don't know then who cares lol it will be surprised when it's faster than they were expecting. Aside from "M" and what it means for BMW I prefer the clean look without badge clutter, regardless of what it means. Less is more!

I used to be in Orange County but have since moved to San Diego. Sam is a good guy we have hung out a few times. As for the steering wheel there are 2 options the M5 SMG wheel with pull/pull paddles and the SSG push/pull wheel (like I got) from M sport E60 models. I would look for a wheel from a 2008+ E60 whichever style wheel you prefer. Personally I like the M5/M sport models with the Nappa leather as it feels considerably more luxurious (IMO). Most M sports don't have Nappa, some do, some M5s do, some don't, just something to consider. E63 M6 wheels will also work if you find one of those. The retrofitting process is pretty simple, you will need some of the small connector pins which can be a pain to obtain but once you have them you simply connect 2 wires into a connector on the steering column, runs one to the ground under the carpet and dead pedal, and the other goes to a connector in the DME box in the engine bay. After that there is some basic coding needed to activate the feature. That's it. I can forward you a guide I received from another member and I am sure this is something Sam can assist with.

Evan
So I've since sourced the wheel with SSG paddles and the SAT gear selector. The gear selector and sport button are installed and worked immediately without coding. Super fun mod. I love the heavier steering and rematching gear changes.

I'm trying to plan out the wiring for the paddles/steering wheel now. I have read through the SAT thread and found wiring instructions in the DIY guide from @Neurocil. It's good but incomplete and I think what they call ebox in that guide is the DME? In reading through your post though it looks like you routed wiring a bit differently? Care to share a bit more detail on how you accomplished this? Also, do you know where I can source the appropriate pin terminals?
Old 01-28-2020, 01:39 PM
Members
Senior Members

Post #15 and #33 show the wiring.
https://5series.net/forums/e61-touri...-149305/page2/

You only need to run a ground and 1 wire to a connector in the DME box. Forget which one but it should be easy finding the name in the E60 SAT thread.

I don't have the pin P/Ns on hand but it might be easier to just go to a LKQ in Anaheim and Stanton and snip some pigtails off other E60 in there.
Evan
Old 01-28-2020, 01:52 PM
New Members

Thanks Evan. I did the research and I know which pins and connectors are involved, no worries there. From your photos, looks as though the ground was run to bolt on the driver's side footwell, seems easy enough.
To be more specific on the wiring path - I am just wondering what path you used to route the wire to the DME.

Also looks like you soldered a connector at the DME end? Sorry - the pictures are super helpful but I'm just not clear on that one detail. The Neurocil guide is a bit hard to follow.
Old 01-28-2020, 02:57 PM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by irjetsetter
To be more specific on the wiring path - I am just wondering what path you used to route the wire to the DME.

Also looks like you soldered a connector at the DME end? Sorry - the pictures are super helpful but I'm just not clear on that one detail. The Neurocil guide is a bit hard to follow.
I wired along the firewall and to the DME through the firewall behind the glovebox. Take a moment to look at these areas on your can and the routing will make sense.

Disregard the soldering, as I recommended you do, I used a pigtail from another car -and soldered to the wire I ran from the column.
Old 01-28-2020, 03:11 PM
New Members

Got it now. I just needed a mental picture of where the wiring needed to go. I don't know why but it always scares me a bit to take apart the car as it's been pretty much bone stock since day one. Looked at LKW inventory - no E60s in stock, I will try to find a pigtail elsewhere. Thanks, as always, for the sound advice!