E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

For all the people with the sunroof drain or air sups. problem...

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 02:17 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535XIT Space Gray, Cream Beige LeatherCold Weather, Premium, Auto, Rear Side Window Shapes, Heated Rear Seats, Park Distance, Navigation, Satellite Radio
Model Year: 08

Originally Posted by Lotus99
The "sunroof drain" issue all it is is you need to be aware they can plug up with dirt and check them (which is easy), and there's an easy fix for them that'll take you maybe an hour from what i've read (again, not too hard), so I don't understand what the deal is with your preoccupation with them? Or that if they were plugged, water might have gotten into the cabin / worse, into the trunk area under the spare wheel where lots of electronics are - which is an easy check when you test drive the car to look for water damage and if the electronics are working fine, then there's no issue.

Have you read some of the threads on the topic? It might help...
I have to say that I always clean the leaves from the wiper vent area on all my cars. It is easy to do and prevents rust. The Sunroof drains are just part of my process now and since I garage the car it is not much a issue. I have never found leaves in the roof drains. The air shocks and related equipment is a lot more scary but that seems to be a problem with the early cars. I think I read that they change the hose design on new cars.
Old 10-27-2011, 04:46 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Lotus99
The "sunroof drain" issue all it is is you need to be aware they can plug up with dirt and check them (which is easy), and there's an easy fix for them that'll take you maybe an hour from what i've read (again, not too hard), so I don't understand what the deal is with your preoccupation with them? Or that if they were plugged, water might have gotten into the cabin / worse, into the trunk area under the spare wheel where lots of electronics are - which is an easy check when you test drive the car to look for water damage and if the electronics are working fine, then there's no issue.

Have you read some of the threads on the topic? It might help...
Yes Ive been reading about it all day. It's quite scary. I'm just wondering if it actually happens to the majority of the people with panaramic roofs and if they actaully park under trees or some sort
Old 10-27-2011, 07:28 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535XIT Space Gray, Cream Beige LeatherCold Weather, Premium, Auto, Rear Side Window Shapes, Heated Rear Seats, Park Distance, Navigation, Satellite Radio
Model Year: 08

I had a X5 4.4 with air shocks and the early X5 had the same problems but I have not heard of many issues with the newer ones.
Old 11-11-2011, 12:00 PM
Members

Would the dealer be able to replace the sunroof drains
Old 11-11-2011, 01:36 PM
Members

My Ride: 08 535xiT - Sapphire Black / Beige

They don't replace them, they just clean them out...and charge you a fortune.