E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

E61 Radiator/Cooling Fan Removal Tips (as part of serpentine belt/OFHG service)

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2022, 01:35 PM
New Members

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: 2008 BMW 535xi Touring
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54
Default E61 Radiator/Cooling Fan Removal Tips (as part of serpentine belt/OFHG service)

Greetings! I made a short video (in 4K no less!) for those who are doing a serpentine belt/OFHG service but may have run into an issue that none of the DIY guides I've seen have covered so far. I've linked the video at the bottom, but I'll summarize it with text for posterity and internet-proofing! I was following the FCP Euro guide for the oil filter housing gasket on an N54. My car is a 2008 535xi Sport Wagon 6AT (E61).

1) Remove the undertray of the car if you have not already (should just be Phillips head screws and some wiggling). I'm lying down on the ground with my head to the back of the car, feet out towards the front.

2) There is a metal hose for the AC (?) that makes a 90deg bend near the center of the fan. This is held on with a T25 screw and must be pushed toward the rear of the car to get it out of a depression in the fan itself. When you take it out of the depression, set the tab below the fan so you can pull the fan up and out later without hitting it.

3) There is a little "shark" clip that bites onto the bottom of the fan housing. It is part of a zip-tie to hold together 3 hoses. It's about at the center of the housing and can be removed by sticking a screwdriver into the "jaws" and wiggling it off. The screwdriver should be flathead, and flat to the plastic of the shroud.

4) The final challenge is getting the small plastic fastener off a tube running up the driver's side of the fan shroud that holds a hose firmly to the shroud. The hose parallels the output of the intercooler charge air pipe. This is akin to taking a bra off one-handed but more difficult. The clamp-esque thing used on mine has slots for a pin to go into, it's similar to a belt or a bra.

Once those things are off, you're home-free and should be able to lift it up while following the FCP video!

Here is the FCP Euro video in case anyone wants it. There is some good info in the comments, I would read through them before attempting.

The following 3 users liked this post by kikoeta:
Arbuz (12-26-2022), cjc (01-06-2023), StreetWise (12-25-2022)