E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Air condition problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 06:46 AM
Members

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 530D Touring MSport Navi professional, HUD, bicolour leather sport seats, BT integrated, automatic transmission, panorama roof.
Model Year: 2006

I have just recently, early july, bought myself an E61. It is a very nice car, and me and my family took it to France for holidays the 17th of july. These early weeks in july has been much colder than normal here in Norway, so I hadnt have the chance to try the AC much, before we took off.

Through Sweden and Denmark everything went fine and the AC was working perfectly. However, it was when I sat alone in the car while my wife and children were shopping some snacks at a gas station in Germany that things started to go wrong. I started fiddling with the Idrive air distribution settings, and from then on I just could not manage to blow cold air anymore. tried every setting there was while temperature inside the car was raising.

Finally just switched keys with my wife and all of a sudden everything was normal again. Must be some individual settings that have been stored in my key.

I have not tried to follow this problem, and I am not sure you can "reset" the keys in any way?

The AC works now, but I think that it would have been great if it also blew some cold air from the window vents, since my hands and the steering wheel gets very warm when the sun hits hard. And we have had no more than 23C on the entire trip. What happens when it goes to 30. Will the AC cope?

Now I am just to afraid to mess up the system so I have not tried to modify anything. I have also read some other posts here about the same kind of problems, but no really good answers.
Old 08-16-2009, 07:33 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi 02dag.

This is interesting. I just bought an 06 530xiT here in California, and I have experienced a similar problem. The center vents blow cold air, and the floor vents blow cold - luke warm air, but the window vents are blowing really warm air, and my head is boiling while the rest is ok. This is especially annoying when living in a CA .

This is happening in "auto" mode, while I'm actually able to shut of the window vent in "manual" mode. But that shouldn't really be necessary. I have not trued my wife's key, but will see if that changes anything.

This Monday the car will b ein for service, and I'll ask BMW for solutions. I'll share if I get some good information.
Old 08-16-2009, 09:51 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i
Model Year: 2004

I'd take it in for service at BMW. My AC doesn't do that.
Old 08-17-2009, 03:03 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: F11 -14

Originally Posted by 02dag' post='960798' date='Jul 31 2009, 04:46 PM
I have just recently, early july, bought myself an E61. It is a very nice car, and me and my family took it to France for holidays the 17th of july. These early weeks in july has been much colder than normal here in Norway, so I hadnt have the chance to try the AC much, before we took off.

Through Sweden and Denmark everything went fine and the AC was working perfectly. However, it was when I sat alone in the car while my wife and children were shopping some snacks at a gas station in Germany that things started to go wrong. I started fiddling with the Idrive air distribution settings, and from then on I just could not manage to blow cold air anymore. tried every setting there was while temperature inside the car was raising.

Finally just switched keys with my wife and all of a sudden everything was normal again. Must be some individual settings that have been stored in my key.

I have not tried to follow this problem, and I am not sure you can "reset" the keys in any way?

The AC works now, but I think that it would have been great if it also blew some cold air from the window vents, since my hands and the steering wheel gets very warm when the sun hits hard. And we have had no more than 23C on the entire trip. What happens when it goes to 30. Will the AC cope?

Now I am just to afraid to mess up the system so I have not tried to modify anything. I have also read some other posts here about the same kind of problems, but no really good answers.
You can reset all personal iDrive settings, but that will wipe out all your personal settings...

Better to push the "Auto" button for the climate control. This will show the climate settings, and probably you have four red "markers" for what kind of air mixture you want. Personally I'm happy with two blue markers for driving in Scandinavia during summer. You change this settings by turning the iDrive knob left or right.
Old 09-10-2009, 04:28 PM
Members

Hi all.

I had my car in for service, and they didn't find any error in the electrical system related to the climate control. Then they did a full re-programming of the car. But I'm not really sure if it made a big difference.

With the sun blasting down throught the front window the dash get's extremely warm. I'm sure anymore if the vent's are blowing warm air, or if it's just the heat from the dash travelling upwards. But anyway I would expect the window vent's to blow cold air, and that they definitely do not...

What I do now is to shift between "medium" and "high" intensity on the Auto Mode.

I know there's a sensor in the panel for the climate control, but are there any sensor's in the roof panel / lining that could be failing (and wouldn't you expect BMW to have catched that)?

Br, Thomas
Old 09-13-2009, 12:25 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: F11 -14

Originally Posted by BMW530xiT' post='1004346' date='Sep 11 2009, 02:28 AM
I know there's a sensor in the panel for the climate control, but are there any sensor's in the roof panel / lining that could be failing (and wouldn't you expect BMW to have catched that)?

Br, Thomas
If you have the "extended" ACC (optional) it's Yes, otherwise no...