E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Adjust rear window wiper

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 08:08 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: F11 -14

After having the microswitch replaced (hey, the car is four months old so what do you expect?) the dealer manage to put the window wiper in a wrong angle. it annoys me that it cannot go down to its start position and I like to adjust it without having to go all the way to the dealer to fix it. I had a similar experience with my wife's E36, and that was dead easy:
Remove cap - unscrew nut - adjust and fasten again. Done in less than 15 sec!

Thought it would be the same on my E61. Hah! I could remove the cap and unscrew the nut. The wiper wouldn't come of.

Anyone knowing what's needed?
Old 09-19-2010, 11:11 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by narvselius
After having the microswitch replaced (hey, the car is four months old so what do you expect?) the dealer manage to put the window wiper in a wrong angle. it annoys me that it cannot go down to its start position and I like to adjust it without having to go all the way to the dealer to fix it. I had a similar experience with my wife's E36, and that was dead easy:

Thought it would be the same on my E61. Hah! I could remove the cap and unscrew the nut. The wiper wouldn't come of.

I dont understand what you have tried to do in the penultimate 2 sentences.

The wiper moves freely when the glass window is open. It is moved by a round metal plate located in the actual tailgate. Therefore, instead of the wiper itself, you have to adjust the round metal plate. The plastic cap around it is removed fairly easy, its held by two or three clips. Underneath there must be some screws to access the mechanism of the round metal plate. Thats how I would approach it..

Let us know how it goes anyways
Old 09-19-2010, 11:41 PM
Members

Originally Posted by narvselius

Thats basically it. Remove cap - unscrew nut - adjust wiper and fasten nut.

But beware, that its a slitted cone connection. I used a bearing removal tool. Dont know the exact english name for it, but see picture. And keep in mind that you are "pulling" on plastic.

Hope you get it solved!
Attached Thumbnails Adjust rear window wiper-g1045.jpg  
Old 09-20-2010, 05:35 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: F11 -14

Aha, so that was the problem! Hmm, and that's a tool I don't have. Oh well, I write a rude mail to mail dealer instead and then wait for next service. Unless I find that tool, of course...

Thanks Rasmus!
Old 09-20-2010, 07:11 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: Jan 2006 E63 650i Sport . Options: Sport version (includes: sport-seats, sport-suspension, M-Sport steering wheel, Anthracite headliner, Shaddow Line), Saphire Black, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood trim, Steptronic Auto, Xenons, NAV-Professional with Voice Control, TV, CD-Changer, Bluetooth, Logic7, Head-up Display, Comfort Access, Seat Heating front, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Extended Auto Air Conditioning, PDC. . Mods: Spacers 5mm front & 15mm rear . Wheels: 20" Alpina Softline (Classic) with Dunlop Sport Maxx non-RFT (255/35/20 & 285/30/20)

Or both Rasmus and you Narvselius could join us this Saturday (25th Sept) for the "Copenhagen Meet" and Rasmus could bring the tool along for you to repair your car
Old 09-20-2010, 12:20 PM
Members

Ups... forgot to "report" back xBMWx... I wont be able to join you guys next week due other engagements unfortunately. But let me know when you are planning to meet up again.

Narvselius: If you by by chance get close to Aarhus in Denmark, id be happy to fix your wiper
Old 10-24-2010, 07:50 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E61 535d carbon black m-kit panoramaroof with beige nasca interior and wood trim. 172m rims. DimSport Race, SB, SAT

i believe this is also referred to as a "bearing puller", or in Danish, an aftrækker. I need one too and will have to get one tomorrow so I can get the wiper off and replace the microswitch
Old 10-24-2010, 10:28 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 Black E61 530Xd - M-sport - Comfort - Advantage

Mate you don´t need any special tools. I took it off easily...
It is tight, but will come off from the bore when you move it back and forth while pulling it.
Old 10-24-2010, 02:35 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Seipäänreikä
Mate you don´t need any special tools. I took it off easily...
It is tight, but will come off from the bore when you move it back and forth while pulling it.
As far as I remember, its a star shaped cone connection. I would not recommend twisting from side to side, pulling etc. Fact is that these connections can get stuck and the right tools is needed to do the job if you what to avoid damanging connection and axis.

I like the right tools for the job, but maybe im just to much of a engineer and to less a farmer
Old 10-25-2010, 11:15 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E61 535d carbon black m-kit panoramaroof with beige nasca interior and wood trim. 172m rims. DimSport Race, SB, SAT

For those in the Northern Europe region; I just went to Bauhaus today and found a set of 3 different bearing pullers for dkk 150 (usd 30) which is well worth the investment. The wiper came off like a cinch with that set so now I just need to get the rear glass open and figure out how to take the wire off the microswitch!

Quick Reply: Adjust rear window wiper