E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 09:39 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E61 535d carbon black m-kit panoramaroof with beige nasca interior and wood trim. 172m rims. DimSport Race, SB, SAT

Went out early this morning to test 0-100 km/h on a flat, dry patch of asfalt at 5 degrees c with half tank of fuel, a/c and dsc/dtc switched on. Took 3 timings with a mechanical stop watch, revving the engine to approx 2,000 rpm with foot on brake and eyeballing when the needle hit 103 km/h which my TomTom gps tells me is more like real 100 km/h than the speedometer reading; it's easy to see if the cruise control is set to 103 as you have a shining red led as the target. All three tests came out at a clean 7 seconds in normal drive mode. In DS it was a more mixed bag, ranging from a satisfying 6.8 seconds to 8 seconds, as I suffered a little tyre spin and stability control limiter setting in.

These timings were to set the baseline. Next week the car will get chipped, SAT'ed and sprintboosted and I'm looking forward to see what difference that will make - hopefully some! Will report the findings here. btw tried an untimed run without DTC/DSC switched on, in DS mode without revving to 2,000 rpm before releasing the brake, and after the earlier experience with spinning tyres when revved to 2,000 rpm with DTC/DSC on, I was expecting the tyres to go up in smoke but there wasn't the slightest wheelspin. So I'll be testing this as well after the modifications, to see if it lights up the tyres then!
Old 04-17-2010, 05:18 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: Jan 2006 E63 650i Sport . Options: Sport version (includes: sport-seats, sport-suspension, M-Sport steering wheel, Anthracite headliner, Shaddow Line), Saphire Black, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood trim, Steptronic Auto, Xenons, NAV-Professional with Voice Control, TV, CD-Changer, Bluetooth, Logic7, Head-up Display, Comfort Access, Seat Heating front, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Extended Auto Air Conditioning, PDC. . Mods: Spacers 5mm front & 15mm rear . Wheels: 20" Alpina Softline (Classic) with Dunlop Sport Maxx non-RFT (255/35/20 & 285/30/20)

That sounds a lot better than my drive this morning to the shops

Those are good results. The mods will definitely make a difference, the Chip in particular. Is it actually a Chip that you are having done or a Remap? What power & torque gains are you expecting to have afterwards?
Old 04-18-2010, 11:06 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E61 535d carbon black m-kit panoramaroof with beige nasca interior and wood trim. 172m rims. DimSport Race, SB, SAT

haha, yeah.

it's a remap; some company in Italy whom I can't remember the name of but it's thru a reputable Danish tuning company, Dansk Turbo Teknik, so I feel confident I'm in good hands. I've considered ESStuning in Norway and DMS in England who all remove the topspeed limiter and give around 20% gain. DMS have tested their modification and found a real life topspeed of 280 kph (174 mph) which is pretty exciting. I heard of upto 350 hp but I'm expecting in the neighborhood of 330 hp and 650 nm with improved mileage when I don't gun it.

On that note, this weekend I got 12.5 km/l (29.4 us mpg) on a 1500 km (930 miles) trip where I frequently touched 160 kph (100 mph). The 2nd half of the trip I generally didnt go above 130 kmh (81 mph) and thus averaged 14.4 km/l (34 mpg) on that stretch, which included a gratifying highspeed race with a Ferrari 348TS who couldn't unhook me from his rear bumper and after I gave up the chase at license revoking speeds, he slowed down as well and had to come back and see what exactly was up with the stationwagon that almost blew his doors off... great fun! After next week, if I meet this guy again, he is in for an even more nasty surprise, hehe.
Old 04-19-2010, 05:50 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 530d M Sport Touring : Carbon Black : Half Leather : Pro DVD Sav Nav : TV : Active Cruise : Front/Rear Parking : Bluetooth Phone : 6 CD : Dark Poplar Wood : Folding Mirrors : 5 year Servicing Pack

I had a passenger ride in my friends DMS tuned 535d before I got my 530d. At the time, I had a TT (225hp) and it blew that away. I think he got rid of it in the end as it was so effortless. I think he wanted a bit more fuss and excitement.

He then ran a tuned RS4 for a while. Guess that delivered on the excitement front.
Old 04-24-2010, 08:32 AM
Senior Members

Update: Got a lot of pain from the dealer after installing the SAT but it works, even if it eventually didn't get coded. Easy job, 30 mins with no special tools. The remapping is ready as well; according to the reputable installer (Dansk Turbo Teknik), the Italian DimSport remap delivers 337 HP and the topspeed limiter has been removed so like with DMS in the UK, I now expect a top speed of 280 KM/H. To boot, I just put in the SB myself (another super easy install!) and let me tell you, it flies! I actually thought it was an overkill with the SB now it is remapped and have the SAT but no; there is a real difference, at least to the driver - passengers wont know how hard you are kicking the pedal but when you just feather it a quarter inch and the car shoots off like a rocket, it really feels more powerful.

I plan to test the acceleration tomorrow morning and will post the times but right now I can hardly wipe the grin off my face; it's a mini-M5 as my mechanic called it, but with great mileage so you are not at the gas station all the time. (I actually got 17.5 km/l on highway driving, going 110 km/h back from the mechanics place, which is a good 55 km).
Old 04-25-2010, 11:15 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by NavarroOne
Update: Got a lot of pain from the dealer after installing the SAT but it works, even if it eventually didn't get coded. Easy job, 30 mins with no special tools. The remapping is ready as well; according to the reputable installer (Dansk Turbo Teknik), the Italian DimSport remap delivers 337 HP and the topspeed limiter has been removed so like with DMS in the UK, I now expect a top speed of 280 KM/H. To boot, I just put in the SB myself (another super easy install!) and let me tell you, it flies! I actually thought it was an overkill with the SB now it is remapped and have the SAT but no; there is a real difference, at least to the driver - passengers wont know how hard you are kicking the pedal but when you just feather it a quarter inch and the car shoots off like a rocket, it really feels more powerful.

I plan to test the acceleration tomorrow morning and will post the times but right now I can hardly wipe the grin off my face; it's a mini-M5 as my mechanic called it, but with great mileage so you are not at the gas station all the time. (I actually got 17.5 km/l on highway driving, going 110 km/h back from the mechanics place, which is a good 55 km).
Another update: Need to check with the tuner tomorrow as the 337 hp is from the DimSport homepage but I note that is for a tuning box; I have the "race" remap and the tuner did mention 357 hp, I just found that a little incredible but tomorrow I'll hopefully get specific indications for my car for both hp and torque (yeah, I know it wasn't dynotested but they have some form of readout I'm sure).

Meantime, did some tests this evening in dry conditions with a temperature of 10 degrees celsius. Timings ranged from 6.1 to 7.0 seconds, depending on whether tirespin was helpful or detrimental. The 6.1 secs was with my teenage son riding shotgun and I had 3/4 full tank today, so I figure a sub 6-second acceleration with a quarter tank and no passengers is a real possibility. My take on SAT, SB and running in DS is as follows, based on my seat of the pants gutfeel and what I saw from the stopwatch sessions. Acceleration with DS mode gives faster shifts and thus a bit faster acceleration. SAT holds gears longer and is thus both fun and well suited for cornering and race tracks but I don't think hitting the sport button by itself improves acceleration. SB in red mode is fun and you feel a reel difference as a driver, but objectively it doesn't run any faster than if you floor the pedal without the SB; I wouldn't give up my SB though. Chipping has made a real difference; both positively on fuel mileage and certainly on the power side; I've gone from a best timing of 6.8 secs to 6.1 secs and I think I can do better; it's all about spinning the tires just the right amount.

Great fun now, prepping for war! that is, switching DTC and DSC off; then switching SB to red, flicking the transmission into DS and hitting the sport button. Oh, and yes, the second test I promised; regarding lighting up the tires. I'm embarrassed to say I smoked the tires heavily right in my own neighborhood - I hope no one I know saw me - it wasn't intentional. I only pressed an inch on the gas pedal from standing start and made a right turn on dry asphalt and the tyres just went wild with a loud screeching sound, screaming for attention. When they gained traction 5 secs later and we sped away from the scene, there was a cloud of smoke across the whole street.... really got to be careful with that car now!
Old 04-25-2010, 02:26 PM
Members

My Ride: 535d M Sport / Carbon Black Metallic / Aluminium cube / black leather sports seats / Prof. SatNav / Bluetooth.

Just another spectacular day in a 535d ... woohoo!

Keep us posted with your new timings.

Have you swapped your runflats out? What tyres are you running on now?
Old 04-26-2010, 03:30 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: Jan 2006 E63 650i Sport . Options: Sport version (includes: sport-seats, sport-suspension, M-Sport steering wheel, Anthracite headliner, Shaddow Line), Saphire Black, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood trim, Steptronic Auto, Xenons, NAV-Professional with Voice Control, TV, CD-Changer, Bluetooth, Logic7, Head-up Display, Comfort Access, Seat Heating front, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Extended Auto Air Conditioning, PDC. . Mods: Spacers 5mm front & 15mm rear . Wheels: 20" Alpina Softline (Classic) with Dunlop Sport Maxx non-RFT (255/35/20 & 285/30/20)

Great to hear you are enjoying your Remap, SAT and SB. I did the remap and SB on my previous 530d so totally understand your feedback -- the remap obviously gives you a lot of real additional performance and the SB makes it feel quicker.
Nice performance results you've got there

And if I see any big clouds of smoke whilst driving around Copenhagen, I'll remember to look out for your E61