E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

A6 Avant Comparison...

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2006, 10:39 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Connecticut, USA. I had heard that about the allroad too.
Old 03-09-2006, 10:50 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005, E61 525i Touring, Black Sapphire Metallic, Dakota Leather, Steptronic Automatic, Pneumatic Self Leveling Rear Suspension, Panorama Glass Roof, PDC (Parking Distance Control front & Back), Navigation, HDTV, Bluetooth Voice Control, RunFlats, Electronically Retractable Side Mirrors, Xenon Adaptive Headlights, Autodim Rearview

Its hard to believe so many people think the build quality and the interior of an Audi A6 or Allroad is better than a BMW 5-Series. Here in Taiwan Audi is definitely a tier 2 level car company on par with Volvo but not on Par with BMW or Benz. The interior of the A4 Avant 2.0 FSI Avant is quickly noticeable as not as luxurious or nice as the BMW 5-Series but not that far off, so maybe the A6 and Allroad are on par. Now I am curious and want to check it out. I think I will rent an A6 from Hertz when I return home to the States later this month.
Old 03-11-2006, 02:42 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 530d Touring
Model Year: 2007

Originally Posted by Hobart' post='252625' date='Mar 10 2006, 07:50 AM
Its hard to believe so many people think the build quality and the interior of an Audi A6 or Allroad is better than a BMW 5-Series. Here in Taiwan Audi is definitely a tier 2 level car company on par with Volvo but not on Par with BMW or Benz. The interior of the A4 Avant 2.0 FSI Avant is quickly noticeable as not as luxurious or nice as the BMW 5-Series but not that far off, so maybe the A6 and Allroad are on par. Now I am curious and want to check it out. I think I will rent an A6 from Hertz when I return home to the States later this month.
Audi has always had better cabins than BMW or Merc, I have owned enough to tell that, but they don't drive anywhere near as good as a BMW so it is a compromise.
However, I think that has all changed with the new C6 A6/allroad, the new allroad and even the new S6 just feel cheap inside. I am not that keen on the materials used in the E60/61 comapred with the E39, but the new A6 based range is terrible, horrid platic feel and cabin layout that just feels wrong.
Old 03-11-2006, 04:51 AM
Members

My Ride: BMW 523i M Sport Touring (Auto) - Silver Grey VW Touareg 2.5tdi Sport (Auto) - Shadow Blue

Originally Posted by gIzzE' post='253202' date='Mar 11 2006, 11:42 AM
....but the new A6 based range is terrible, horrid platic feel and cabin layout that just feels wrong.
Like many people do, we considered the A6 Avant (and the current Allroad) before choosing the E61. I am a bit of an AUDI fan myself, having worked with them for many years I really like their engineering approach to things however when it came to choosing between the A6 and E61, my wife overruled me for exactly your reasoning - she just couldn't get on with the cabin layout and materials.

Kaine
Old 03-17-2006, 08:14 PM
Members

Originally Posted by mr_djurgarden' post='247426' date='Feb 28 2006, 01:25 PM
I would go for the 530xi. When I bought mine I considered the A6 3.2 but I choose the BMW because of the handling and also that it feels like a more genuine car. No concerning skipping the 4-wheel drive and go for the 535d?
Good luck
We can only get the 530xi in US so far.
Old 03-17-2006, 10:23 PM
Members

My Ride: 530i Touring, M Sport, build date 10/05, Silver Grey, Black leather, Maple Anthracite, Anthracite roof lining, panorama roof, M Aerodynamic, M Steering wheel, M Sport suspension, sport seats, shadow line, 135 M wheels, Goodyear NCT 5 runflats, and some other stuff too.

Unless you genuinely go "offroad" there is no need at all for an SUV, they are poor to drive and use more fuel. Wagons are great and much easier to get in and out of for one thing.

Recently changed from an Allroad to a 530i Touring and no regrets at all. Not only is the BMW bigger inside than many SUV's, eg; Lexus RX, Range Sport, Cayenne, X5 etc but is way better to drive. In the sports pack with the Panorama roof you have a real sports tourer that is almost a convertible and a full size wagon all in one.

Compared the BMW with the Audi A6 Avant 3.2FSI. The Audi was very bland inside and I don't think it bettered the standard of the BMW at all. The BMW also seemed to have more trim options. Quality seemed on par, with a slight edge to the BMW if anything. As for interior space they seemed very similar. i drive is silly but you get used to it and it can be conquered.

The real key is on road performance and the Audi just doesn't match the BMW handling or smoothness, the BMW just drives superbly whereas the Audi is very good but still has its flaws. The BMW engine is so quiet when in neutral, you would think you are in a hybrid
Old 03-18-2006, 12:51 AM
ipp
Senior Members

My Ride: 07' 530d - M-Sport - Titanium Silver / Black Dakota leather 08' 120i - M-Sport - Alpine White III / Black Sensatec

Before everyone here claims the Audi's interior to be better, have a visit to your Audi showroom and check out the A6. After that I'm sure you won't say anything bad against the 5er. I did that and I was there in belief of the A6 to be better than my 5. But the leather felt really thin and nothing felt as good as my BMW.
Old 03-21-2006, 09:23 PM
Members

Originally Posted by gIzzE' post='253202' date='Mar 11 2006, 03:42 AM
Audi has always had better cabins than BMW or Merc, I have owned enough to tell that, but they don't drive anywhere near as good as a BMW so it is a compromise.
I agree with the other poster who said that the Audi interior is bland. The lines are straight and boring IMHO. I too hate the iDrive menu (but not the knob... there's a difference), but I love what it does to the interior in terms of cleaning up the clutter.

Most offensively, when Audi have a row of button and not use them all, they put fake-button plastic there... what kind of design is that?? (not sure if that's the case in the A6 but its there in the A4) In the E60 if you don't get seat warmers you won't get two extraneous extrusions in place of the button.

Finally, I think the BMW buttons have a satisfying thunk/heavy feel to it compared with Audi's, which feel a little light with too short of a throw.
Old 03-22-2006, 12:33 AM
Contributors

My Ride: MY 2004 545i Touring, High Executive Line, Comfort Line II, Vision Line II (Dutch specced Packages), Color: Oxford Green. Interior: Black/Black leather. Trim: Dark Popular wood. Gear: Steptronic 6-speed Other options not incuded in above packages: M-Sport aero kit, sports suspension, heated steering wheel, rear side-airbags, front screen with green upper part, panorama roof, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels with Dunlop RFT's, HiFi Pro/LOGIC7, alarm class 3, heated seats rear and voice recognition. Waiting for february delivery of 325i Touring and 130i

BMW V. Audi: this discusson will be endless.

again, IMO -also as a profesional (consultant in the automotive industry), the build quality of Audi is higher than of BMW's. So I am NOT talking about design or function. Driving is the opposite.
Old 03-23-2006, 05:53 AM
Contributors

My Ride: MY 2004 545i Touring, High Executive Line, Comfort Line II, Vision Line II (Dutch specced Packages), Color: Oxford Green. Interior: Black/Black leather. Trim: Dark Popular wood. Gear: Steptronic 6-speed Other options not incuded in above packages: M-Sport aero kit, sports suspension, heated steering wheel, rear side-airbags, front screen with green upper part, panorama roof, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels with Dunlop RFT's, HiFi Pro/LOGIC7, alarm class 3, heated seats rear and voice recognition. Waiting for february delivery of 325i Touring and 130i

Originally Posted by omi7' post='258324' date='Mar 22 2006, 07:23 AM
Most offensively, when Audi have a row of button and not use them all, they put fake-button plastic there... what kind of design is that?? (not sure if that's the case in the A6 but its there in the A4) In the E60 if you don't get seat warmers you won't get two extraneous extrusions in place of the button.

Finally, I think the BMW buttons have a satisfying thunk/heavy feel to it compared with Audi's, which feel a little light with too short of a throw.
speaking about "empty buttons": may I invite you to have a carefull look in my 130i: at least three "empty buttons on a row"