E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

530xi performance in the winter

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2006, 07:39 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2003 BMW 325i (E46) Touring with Sport Package 2007 BMW 503xi (E61) Touring wtih M-sport package

Wow, never thought AWD would be so good in the winter. I live in Calgary, Alberta, and in cold snowy icy conditions, my car with xDrive and 4 Dunlop Wintersport M3 DSST (run flat) tires on style 138, 17 inch rims is truly awesome. Superb grip and traction in all winter conditions, quiet ride. Accelerating from a stop on slick roads, or out of corners, you can really feel the front wheels pulling.

For those that do encounter wintery conditions, two-thumbs up for BMW's xDrive.

Have had my car 7 months now, and no regrets. Best compromise of performance, practicality, luxury, comfort, fuel economy and fun-to-drive (mine's a 6 speed manual with Msport package). Only downside is it's pricey. More than enough power, though wonder if BMW will bring in the new 3.0 liter bi-turbo.
Old 12-13-2006, 07:49 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

Originally Posted by binkie' post='367260' date='Dec 13 2006, 08:39 PM
Wow, never thought AWD would be so good in the winter. I live in Calgary, Alberta, and in cold snowy icy conditions, my car with xDrive and 4 Dunlop Wintersport M3 DSST (run flat) tires on style 138, 17 inch rims is truly awesome. Superb grip and traction in all winter conditions, quiet ride. Accelerating from a stop on slick roads, or out of corners, you can really feel the front wheels pulling.

Have had my car 7 months now, and no regrets. Best compromise of performance, practicality, luxury, comfort, fuel economy and fun-to-drive (mine's a 6 speed manual with Msport package). Only downside is it's pricey. More than enough power, though wonder if BMW will bring in the new 3.0 liter bi-turbo.
good to hear positive feedback on another e60.
Old 01-31-2007, 03:40 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 530Xi - Navigation, Premium package, Steptronic.

Down here in Boston, we always talk about the "Alberta Clippers" which usually bring us a bunch of snow and cold weather. We have not heard much about those this year, and I'm taking credit for it all, having bought a 530xi on 10/1/2006. In the recent past we've had a lot of snow around so that an early-morning trip to a huge parking lot is a chance to try out the capabilities of a vehicle. Sadly (I guess), I've had no such chances this year...just a little dusting from time to time, which hardly challenges the x-drive. I guess I'll have to head North to get some snow under the treads, eh?

Thanks for the report on the x-drive!
Old 02-01-2007, 12:38 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: Jan 2006 E63 650i Sport . Options: Sport version (includes: sport-seats, sport-suspension, M-Sport steering wheel, Anthracite headliner, Shaddow Line), Saphire Black, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood trim, Steptronic Auto, Xenons, NAV-Professional with Voice Control, TV, CD-Changer, Bluetooth, Logic7, Head-up Display, Comfort Access, Seat Heating front, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Extended Auto Air Conditioning, PDC. . Mods: Spacers 5mm front & 15mm rear . Wheels: 20" Alpina Softline (Classic) with Dunlop Sport Maxx non-RFT (255/35/20 & 285/30/20)

Originally Posted by binkie' post='367260' date='Dec 14 2006, 05:39 AM

having just read something about an x-drive owner being frustrated about not being able to fit 19" rims, its great to read that you're really enjoying the benefits of the x-drive

Heading down to Austria skiing next month, so will be interested to see how mine performs in the snow, even though the roads tend to be well gritted etc.
Not sure if I'll reporting about accelerating our of corners - probably just be pleased if I make it round one!