E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

530d Touring, new to the forum

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 03:49 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all,

Just traded in my 2000 530d touring for a low-mileage 2004 530d touring, and I'm new to the forum. I enjoy toying around with my cars and have already found quite some useful tips lurking around this forum.

The car is fully loaded, except for the panorama roof, rear curtains and m sports package. It does however have heated rear seats...

Short term planned mods:
- Evolve remap using their Switch box
- Remove swirl flaps
- install led tail lights, the Bruce Miranda way

Any additional tips, bearing in mind I would like to keep the car in "stealth mode", as fully tricked out m5 exteriors don't do well in my line of work ...

Thanks,
Liam

Old 02-23-2010, 03:53 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 E61 530xi

Welcome to the forum.

Nice ride!
Old 02-23-2010, 04:02 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: F11 -14

Good to have you onboard!
Old 02-23-2010, 04:11 AM
Senior Members

beautiful touring! welcome to the forum!

you have a very similar car to what I was looking for before I bought mine. and a very similar list of mods

i have installed LED rear lights with the Bruce cables and they work perfectly well

btw would be very interested in your experience with evolve, as well as any other research you have done around remapping a 530d with 218 hp. I presume you went for a box so that you can remove it when bringing the car in for service? were there any other factors involved in your decision?

apart from the obvious increase in power and torque, do you expect any other effects? I am particularly interested in possibly improved fuel economy (at normal driving), or improved sound..
Old 02-23-2010, 05:33 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by mmitev
I am particularly interested in possibly improved fuel economy (at normal driving), or improved sound..
I meant improved or worsened sound, as I imagine that it might make the engine more noisy in an unpleasant way when you change the software. On the other hand, I realize that the one key solution for better sound is an upgraded exhaust, but who knows, may be a software tuning might by chance have such side-effect..
Old 02-23-2010, 05:59 AM
Members

Originally Posted by mmitev
I meant improved or worsened sound, as I imagine that it might make the engine more noisy in an unpleasant way when you change the software. On the other hand, I realize that the one key solution for better sound is an upgraded exhaust, but who knows, may be a software tuning might by chance have such side-effect..
will keep you posted on the effects. I test-drove a 530d tuned my one of the local tuners. Didn't notice a big sound difference, however indeed the boost in accelleration reminded me a bit of the Knight Rider turbo boost button
Old 02-23-2010, 11:48 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: Jan 2006 E63 650i Sport . Options: Sport version (includes: sport-seats, sport-suspension, M-Sport steering wheel, Anthracite headliner, Shaddow Line), Saphire Black, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood trim, Steptronic Auto, Xenons, NAV-Professional with Voice Control, TV, CD-Changer, Bluetooth, Logic7, Head-up Display, Comfort Access, Seat Heating front, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Extended Auto Air Conditioning, PDC. . Mods: Spacers 5mm front & 15mm rear . Wheels: 20" Alpina Softline (Classic) with Dunlop Sport Maxx non-RFT (255/35/20 & 285/30/20)

First of all, on board and congrats on the new car

I would strongly recommend the Sprint Booster for the 530d (or any other diesel for that matter). Its a cheap mod, but will significantly improve the driving experience; acceleration and improved control through quicker throttle response times. Its plug and play -- takes me about a minute to install / remove it, practice makes perfect!

It looks very classy as it is, but if you are looking for sports like subtle exterior mods you could go for some Shaddow Line trim around the windows. A set of 18" Radial Spoke "style 32" rims, which look like the Alpina Classics rims would also complement it nicely IMHO. Here's a picture of the kind of look I am talking about -- this car is Monaco Blue, has Shaddow Line trim, rear Tints and 19" Alpinas -- the 18" BMW style 32s would look almost the same, but just a little smaller / more understated.

530d Touring, new to the forum-e61-monaco-blue-alpina19s-side.jpg

Alternatively, simply keep it as it is -- Enjoy!
Old 02-24-2010, 12:58 AM
Members

Originally Posted by xBMWx
I would strongly recommend the Sprint Booster for the 530d (or any other diesel for that matter). Its a cheap mod, but will significantly improve the driving experience; acceleration and improved control through quicker throttle response times. Its plug and play -- takes me about a minute to install / remove it, practice makes perfect!
Thanks for the tips! Just a short question:

Can a sprint booster be used together with a remap, or will a remap increase the throttle response anyhow?
Old 02-24-2010, 05:59 AM
Senior Members

Liam, here is someone from evolve offering some sort of discount on their boxes - might be useful for you

http://e60.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=354772
Old 02-24-2010, 06:37 AM
Members

Thanks - booked

Quick Reply: 530d Touring, new to the forum