E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

530D full exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 10:37 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW E61 530d

hi guys.
i start with problem, so at some time i heard noise from muffler like it would be cracked. specialy at 1300 till 1800 rpms, i lift up machine and nothing find, elastic joint - good condition, no signs of any exhaust gas leaks and then what we think with service guys, maybe at rear muffler some wall is burned and gases goes straight to atmosphere. im not sure, but it can be. maybe You have some advise?
and.... that sound not at all time, sometime it present, sometimes its OK.

another thing, i look at many sites and find this exhaust system > http://www.supersprint.com/USP000bmwE604.asp
like M5
what You think about that. find also some sound clips in Youtube, it souns also great
Old 07-09-2010, 09:53 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 Audi A8 4.2TDI Previous rides: 2005 E61 530d, 20" Breyton reps, Eibach springs, M5 bumper/mirrors/MFSW 2000 Audi S6 Avant, 18" OZ, RS6 exhaust etc 1998 Audi A8 4,2Q, 19" RS4 wheels, Remus exhaust KW coilovers etc 1986 Audi 100CC, funky fresh steel rims w plastic covers, rubber lip on boot..... 1987 BMW 320i, 15" alloys + rubber lip on boot :) 1982 Opel Ascona 1,6DL, tinted windows and a big-ass subwoofer :P

Don't take any risks. Better order that Supersprint immediately
Old 08-09-2010, 05:26 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Hilden
Don't take any risks. Better order that Supersprint immediately
but i want to be sure that there is the problemm.....
now at my local BMW forum receive an email, that another guys looks like same problemm, and maybe there is something common.
need some help about that.
after changing oil, i once again check all exhaust connection, and didnt see any damages
Old 08-09-2010, 09:17 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

Originally Posted by karman1977
hi guys.
i start with problem, so at some time i heard noise from muffler like it would be cracked. specialy at 1300 till 1800 rpms, i lift up machine and nothing find, elastic joint - good condition, no signs of any exhaust gas leaks and then what we think with service guys, maybe at rear muffler some wall is burned and gases goes straight to atmosphere. im not sure, but it can be. maybe You have some advise?
and.... that sound not at all time, sometime it present, sometimes its OK.

another thing, i look at many sites and find this exhaust system > http://www.supersprint.com/USP000bmwE604.asp
like M5
what You think about that. find also some sound clips in Youtube, it souns also great
If it's present now and then, are you sure it's not the DPF cleaning sequence going on?

- Antti -
Old 08-09-2010, 10:10 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Anzafin
If it's present now and then, are you sure it's not the DPF cleaning sequence going on?

- Antti -
if its DPF cleaning then its strange, because i know there must be some requirements, like, need fuel more than 20L, speed must be 90-110km/h and something else, but it happens when i drive even thru city.....
MAYBE..... its starts before city, and cannot be completed because i go thru city and then is this speed drop below needed and another then question, if starts this DPF cleaning does appear some indicator light on?

PS. also after some time while driven by this sound, when i leave auto there is some smell, like rubber or something like that....
wait four Your reply

karlis
Old 08-09-2010, 10:26 AM
Contributors

Actually there's no speed requirements to get the cleaning sequence started.

According to the BMW Wiring Diagram System:
The exhaust temps have to be at least 240°C and the coolant temperature has to be at least 75°C. There has to be 10 liters of fuel in tank, not 20l.

I'm pretty sure it's the cleaning sequence. It sure does smell like a burning rubber when the sequence is on or if it has just ended .

Unfortunately there's no any indicator lamp or similar on the dash for the DPF clean. That would be great. I think Audi has it...
Old 08-09-2010, 10:57 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Anzafin
Actually there's no speed requirements to get the cleaning sequence started.

According to the BMW Wiring Diagram System:
The exhaust temps have to be at least 240°C and the coolant temperature has to be at least 75°C. There has to be 10 liters of fuel in tank, not 20l.

I'm pretty sure it's the cleaning sequence. It sure does smell like a burning rubber when the sequence is on or if it has just ended .

Unfortunately there's no any indicator lamp or similar on the dash for the DPF clean. That would be great. I think Audi has it...
then it looks like everything is OK with that
i have it sometimes even after few days, why so often it happens?
Old 08-09-2010, 11:03 AM
Contributors

Sometimes I get it too couple of times in a week. It must be the short city driving that gets the DPF dirty and the cleaning sequence has to be carried on more often.

I had some problems with my DPF last winter. I guess you should read about it and learn something more about the DPF . Here's my thread.

- Antti -
Old 08-09-2010, 11:13 AM
Members

i previously read about Your DPF cleaning. it lokks like You did very big Job
so, You think its start of DPF clogging?
NOOOO.....
ok. maybe i try cleaning start cleaning process at long distance, and if its still comes out after few days at city driving, then i start with collecting gaskets and bolts
anyway big Thanks
Old 08-09-2010, 11:27 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: Jan 2006 E63 650i Sport . Options: Sport version (includes: sport-seats, sport-suspension, M-Sport steering wheel, Anthracite headliner, Shaddow Line), Saphire Black, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood trim, Steptronic Auto, Xenons, NAV-Professional with Voice Control, TV, CD-Changer, Bluetooth, Logic7, Head-up Display, Comfort Access, Seat Heating front, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Extended Auto Air Conditioning, PDC. . Mods: Spacers 5mm front & 15mm rear . Wheels: 20" Alpina Softline (Classic) with Dunlop Sport Maxx non-RFT (255/35/20 & 285/30/20)

We had this discussion here before in this E61 Forum, where a number of us at the time were in 530d's, and everyone complained about the DPF, because it made you think your exhaust was about to fall off! I used to do a lot of motorway driving and never noticed it with previous cars, but I used the 530d in the city and then had that cleaning noise more often. Well looks as though Anzafin has already explained it for you and put your mind at rest

Quick Reply: 530D full exhaust