E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

520d SPORT with Auto or not?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 05:33 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just registered because i am going to get a 520d Touring. I live in uk and the company car tax means about another ?500 per year for the new auto (177) over the manuasl equiv. I am worried that old diesels (by other manufacturers) were liable to lag either on the turbo or just the gearbox when combining the auto box and a smallish diesel engine. Any thoughts or comments? I am also interested on thoughts on media package and pro sat nav? I have a jag at moment and factory fit sat nav is excellent with full uk post code input. Help please?!?
Old 10-28-2007, 10:41 AM
Members

Hello and welcome here.

I have my new 520d touring with auto gearshifter and must say I'm very happy with it. Shifts are flawless and if you put it in sportmode it gives a sportlike feeling. A lot of fun to drive it and if ou want you can go to semi-manual. Personally I don't want a manual gearbox anymore in diesel because the first gear is way too short. you have to go to second gear within a second and this means lost of comfort.

The pro navi is very good as well and this goes for the bluetooth phone as well.

The advantage is the very easy to use i-drive. Everything with one control knob. The best invention ever.

grtz
Old 10-29-2007, 01:15 PM
Members

My Ride: soon 520d touring delivery week26 Black with black dakota lether M-sport xenon big climat towhitch elec,trunkdoor hifispeakers usb/mp3 option ext,int,light isofix comfortseats

Originally Posted by seymour' post='487017' date='Oct 28 2007, 02:33 PM
Just registered because i am going to get a 520d Touring. I live in uk and the company car tax means about another ?500 per year for the new auto (177) over the manuasl equiv. I am worried that old diesels (by other manufacturers) were liable to lag either on the turbo or just the gearbox when combining the auto box and a smallish diesel engine. Any thoughts or comments? I am also interested on thoughts on media package and pro sat nav? I have a jag at moment and factory fit sat nav is excellent with full uk post code input. Help please?!?

I have manual gearbox in my 520d 163hp LCI -07!
I think that with the small engine is the best option. At lest the most economical... in sweden the auto gerbox cost around ?2000 more then manual and with the swedish tax system about ?200 extra a year. And then the more diesel the auto takes....

I like auto gear boxes in bigger engines! My last car was a Saab 9-5 Aero wagon with 250hp and combined with autobox it was great.

If I had the BMW 530d then I would buy the autobox!!

Regards!
Old 10-29-2007, 01:42 PM
Contributors

You'll be disappointed going from Jaguar satnav to BMW. No full postcode input ... I think the auto in the BMW is one of the best. I've had a 525d, then a 530d, now a 535d (all saloon rather than touring). All have been auto. The new 520d is a great engine. If you experience any lag, you can fit a "sprint booster" (about ?200) which will eliminate that, and you can think about a DMS remap which will boost your HP and performance even more... But from the factory, these are very good cars.

I used to have an XJ Sport and loved it, but it handled like a boat compared to the E60's.
Old 10-30-2007, 09:25 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Russ1974' post='487546' date='Oct 29 2007, 11:42 PM
If you experience any lag, you can fit a "sprint booster" (about ?200) which will eliminate that, and you can think about a DMS remap which will boost your HP and performance even more... But from the factory, these are very good cars.
"sprint booster" ? Could you you explain this to me please ? thanks in advance! I gather this is not the same as chiptuning or is it ?
Old 10-30-2007, 10:56 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by new generation' post='487867' date='Oct 30 2007, 11:25 AM
"sprint booster" ? Could you you explain this to me please ? thanks in advance! I gather this is not the same as chiptuning or is it ?
Use the forum search (or even google) for lots of information. Here is one thread on the topic; http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=45480
Old 10-30-2007, 12:43 PM
Members

thanks for that. No full post code for a system that costs ?2000? Crikey. Is there away of installing after market sat nav that has screen touch? Or is the Idrive thingy worth having. My jag is nearly 3 yrs old and i have yet to see a satnav as good.

Thanks for the help so far, and i am sold on one with auto box. My hamstrings are killing driving on these roads in uk. Traffic, traffic, traffic.
Old 10-30-2007, 02:06 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by seymour' post='487980' date='Oct 30 2007, 02:43 PM
thanks for that. No full post code for a system that costs ?2000? Crikey. Is there away of installing after market sat nav that has screen touch? Or is the Idrive thingy worth having. My jag is nearly 3 yrs old and i have yet to see a satnav as good.

Thanks for the help so far, and i am sold on one with auto box. My hamstrings are killing driving on these roads in uk. Traffic, traffic, traffic.
If you can get hold of a car with the Head Up Display, this more than makes up for the lack of full postcode entry. I expect there are ways to add aftermarket units but I love the integration of iDrive and the Pro Sat Nav. Many people absolutely rave about the BMW satnav. Having lived with a TomTom for 3 years, I think relatively, it's pretty rubbish. But ultimately, you type in your address, and it gets you there, so really what else do you need. It takes 20 seconds longer to type in a destination, it takes about 10 times as long to calculate the route. So you lose about 2 minutes. But, I would still choose it over an aftermarket unit - especially one stuck to the windscreen - and definitely especially with the HUD, which shows all the directions and turning countdowns
Old 11-01-2007, 04:10 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Russ1974' post='488015' date='Oct 30 2007, 10:06 PM
If you can get hold of a car with the Head Up Display, this more than makes up for the lack of full postcode entry. I expect there are ways to add aftermarket units but I love the integration of iDrive and the Pro Sat Nav. Many people absolutely rave about the BMW satnav. Having lived with a TomTom for 3 years, I think relatively, it's pretty rubbish. But ultimately, you type in your address, and it gets you there, so really what else do you need. It takes 20 seconds longer to type in a destination, it takes about 10 times as long to calculate the route. So you lose about 2 minutes. But, I would still choose it over an aftermarket unit - especially one stuck to the windscreen - and definitely especially with the HUD, which shows all the directions and turning countdowns
thanks for that again! much appreciated. As you seem to be a guru on here (a very very helpful one) i wondered if you could advise me (or point me where to find out) on whether i am better getting the 177bhp engine or would i be ok with the 1643bhp (its the emissions and running i am more concerned about than the performance)?

Cheers once again
Old 11-01-2007, 05:31 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by seymour' post='488571' date='Nov 1 2007, 02:10 PM
thanks for that again! much appreciated. As you seem to be a guru on here (a very very helpful one) i wondered if you could advise me (or point me where to find out) on whether i am better getting the 177bhp engine or would i be ok with the 1643bhp (its the emissions and running i am more concerned about than the performance)?

Cheers once again
There is a big difference between the emissions on the 163bhp and 177bhp engines especially with an auto box.

e.g. 163 bhp manual 162 g/km Auto 189 g/km

177 bhp manual 140 g/km Auto 154 g/km

Go for a 177bhp auto and pay 20% tax and be glad that you are not paying 28% as you would with the 163 bhp engine!

Or may be pay 25% tax for a 525d auto...

Regards,

Quick Reply: 520d SPORT with Auto or not?