E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

520d 177bhp LCI Oil Level

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 10:05 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 520d F10, Sport Auto, Black, sun protection, Oyster/Black with Anthracite, Ambient lighting.

Just cheked the oil level in my 520d (177bhp LCI) using the dip stick and it's only just above the minimum mark According to the level on I Drive with ignition on or running it's on maximum. Car has done 16500 miles so thought it was a bit odd that it was still on maximum, put a litre of oil in and it's ok now.
Old 12-22-2008, 10:30 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: Jan 2006 E63 650i Sport . Options: Sport version (includes: sport-seats, sport-suspension, M-Sport steering wheel, Anthracite headliner, Shaddow Line), Saphire Black, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood trim, Steptronic Auto, Xenons, NAV-Professional with Voice Control, TV, CD-Changer, Bluetooth, Logic7, Head-up Display, Comfort Access, Seat Heating front, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Extended Auto Air Conditioning, PDC. . Mods: Spacers 5mm front & 15mm rear . Wheels: 20" Alpina Softline (Classic) with Dunlop Sport Maxx non-RFT (255/35/20 & 285/30/20)

what's ok now; the oil level, the I-drive level, or both?
Old 12-22-2008, 12:01 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 520d F10, Sport Auto, Black, sun protection, Oyster/Black with Anthracite, Ambient lighting.

Originally Posted by xBMWx' post='750594' date='Dec 22 2008, 07:30 PM
what's ok now; the oil level, the I-drive level, or both?
Sorry, the oil level. Even though the oil was low the i-drive was saying it was ok. Not sure if you can calibrate the i-drive, it's still showing oil at maximum level.
Old 12-22-2008, 12:05 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: Jan 2006 E63 650i Sport . Options: Sport version (includes: sport-seats, sport-suspension, M-Sport steering wheel, Anthracite headliner, Shaddow Line), Saphire Black, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood trim, Steptronic Auto, Xenons, NAV-Professional with Voice Control, TV, CD-Changer, Bluetooth, Logic7, Head-up Display, Comfort Access, Seat Heating front, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Extended Auto Air Conditioning, PDC. . Mods: Spacers 5mm front & 15mm rear . Wheels: 20" Alpina Softline (Classic) with Dunlop Sport Maxx non-RFT (255/35/20 & 285/30/20)

Ok, understood, thanks
Any idea what the leading indicator is; the dip stick or the bord computer One of them is hopefully correct!
Old 12-22-2008, 12:16 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by xBMWx' post='750688' date='Dec 22 2008, 09:05 PM
Ok, understood, thanks
Any idea what the leading indicator is; the dip stick or the bord computer One of them is hopefully correct!
Would assume it's the dip stick as that can't be wrong??, will be checking that from now on. What i'm tring to say is that even if i-drive says that your oil level is ok it's worth checking the old fashioned way. I think that some BMW's don't evan have dip sticks though??
Old 12-23-2008, 05:50 AM
Members

My Ride: 525i SE Black Saphire, Black Dakota Leather, 116 type alloys

Originally Posted by k44ent' post='750581' date='Dec 22 2008, 07:05 PM
Just cheked the oil level in my 520d (177bhp LCI) using the dip stick and it's only just above the minimum mark According to the level on I Drive with ignition on or running it's on maximum. Car has done 16500 miles so thought it was a bit odd that it was still on maximum, put a litre of oil in and it's ok now.
Is Oil Level on the I Drive something that was introduced recently then? I've not seen anything that indicates what the Oil level is on the I Drive on my early 525i.

Also, I've been toying with the idea of switching to a 520d next year as I'm only managing about 25mpg's with the sort of short distance driving I'm doing these days.

One of the things that interests me (having never owned a diesel car in the 25+ years I've been driving), is how the 177bhp diesel unit compares to a 2.5 petrol in terms of smoothness and performance. I can see from the official figures that the new 520d looks really responsive on paper, but does it feel that good. Not sure if you've got first hand experience of one of the 6 cyl petrol models to compare with, but would like to know what you think of the new 520d anyway.

I sometimes think my driving style would suit a diesel engine as I'm not one for revving the engine hard and tend to use the torque of the engine to change gear fairly early.

The thought of getting some decent MPG's along with the performance that I am used to having when I need it, makes the 520d sound very attractive but the biggest question in my mind is whether I could live with one long term, having never experienced a long term relationship with an oil burner. (I've had a 6 cyl petrol now for nearly 10 years including the E39 523 I had previously).

Anyway sorry to hijack the thread but let me know your thoughts on the 177bhp 520d if you have time.

Thanks

Kev
Old 12-23-2008, 11:41 AM
Members

My Ride: 520d

Originally Posted by k44ent' post='750697' date='Dec 22 2008, 10:16 PM
Would assume it's the dip stick as that can't be wrong??, will be checking that from now on. What i'm tring to say is that even if i-drive says that your oil level is ok it's worth checking the old fashioned way. I think that some BMW's don't evan have dip sticks though??
163hp 520d does not show any info on iDrive: only dipstick
Old 12-24-2008, 07:23 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by k44ent' post='750581' date='Dec 22 2008, 09:05 PM
That's funny, 'cause I don't have a oil dipstick in my engine (or haven't found it),
I only have the iDrive info???

I'm sure, or at least I hope, that the iDrive tells you when to add some.

16500 miles (26,500 km) is a lot if you haven't been to the first service yet?

PS. Here's a pic of my cars engine, could you please indicate where the dipstick is at, thanks.
My car is built 12/07 and delivered 2/08
Attached Thumbnails 520d 177bhp LCI Oil Level-ygu_4.jpg  
Old 12-24-2008, 08:01 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Kev525' post='751249' date='Dec 23 2008, 02:50 PM
Is Oil Level on the I Drive something that was introduced recently then? I've not seen anything that indicates what the Oil level is on the I Drive on my early 525i.

Also, I've been toying with the idea of switching to a 520d next year as I'm only managing about 25mpg's with the sort of short distance driving I'm doing these days.

One of the things that interests me (having never owned a diesel car in the 25+ years I've been driving), is how the 177bhp diesel unit compares to a 2.5 petrol in terms of smoothness and performance. I can see from the official figures that the new 520d looks really responsive on paper, but does it feel that good. Not sure if you've got first hand experience of one of the 6 cyl petrol models to compare with, but would like to know what you think of the new 520d anyway.

I sometimes think my driving style would suit a diesel engine as I'm not one for revving the engine hard and tend to use the torque of the engine to change gear fairly early.

The thought of getting some decent MPG's along with the performance that I am used to having when I need it, makes the 520d sound very attractive but the biggest question in my mind is whether I could live with one long term, having never experienced a long term relationship with an oil burner. (I've had a 6 cyl petrol now for nearly 10 years including the E39 523 I had previously).

Anyway sorry to hijack the thread but let me know your thoughts on the 177bhp 520d if you have time.

Thanks

Kev
Have never driven a 6 cylinder petrol BMW but have driven a 530d and the 520d is not as smooth as a 6 cylinder. Compared to a new focus 1.6tdci (which is well respected) the 520d is very very smooth with nice power delivery. It pulls well right up to over 4500rpm and is very much like a petrol non turbo engine in the way it delivers it's power, no big kick in the back just pulls all the way through. As far as economy goes my E61 gives a genuine 45mpg. It drops to around 42 when round town but on a good run 48mpg is the norm and that's sitting at around 80 / 85mph. I have owned 2 other 520d's both with the 163bhp engine and the power delivery was a bit hit and miss with slight hesitation around the 2000rpm mark so if you are thinking of a 520d go for the 177bhp model it's much better in terms of noise, power delivery. and economy. Best thing to do is test drive one but I am very pleased with mine, it's a good balance between economy and refinement, it's not under powered and after 16000miles it's starting to loosen up. You can also get them remaped which will give you over 200bhp. Hope the above helps but feel free to PM me if you need any more questions answering.
Old 12-24-2008, 08:05 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Ricracing' post='752051' date='Dec 24 2008, 04:23 PM
That's funny, 'cause I don't have a oil dipstick in my engine (or haven't found it),
I only have the iDrive info???

I'm sure, or at least I hope, that the iDrive tells you when to add some.

16500 miles (26,500 km) is a lot if you haven't been to the first service yet?

PS. Here's a pic of my cars engine, could you please indicate where the dipstick is at, thanks.
My car is built 12/07 and delivered 2/08
It's on the right hand side of the engine on your photo just behind the BMW text where the cover is shaped in a bit. It's the same place as the 163bhp engine but has a black cap with no handle.

Not had it's first service yet, i-drive is saying another 3k miles to go.

Let me know if you find your dipstick!!

Quick Reply: 520d 177bhp LCI Oil Level