E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

2" Receiver Hitch in USA? Also: Wiring?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 08:43 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535xiT6
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by Sarge
Is this the proper contact info for the hitch maker?

Torklift International
1901 Fryar Avenue
Sumner, WA, 98390

P#: 800.246.8132
F#: 253.854.8003

I found them on the internet at www.torklift.com

JWESTPRO: Do you recall the name of the person who actually designed/fabbed your hitch? Since I'd be doing this mail order, I'd like to be sure the work is done identical to yours (i.e. it fits).

Thanks!

I'll call and talk with them today to prep for your call.

Couple photos of mine with one of my thule carriers. I use this one more for mtn bikes but the swing out carries 4 without sticking out so far

to see how tight it sets in bumper cover lower edge. Does not take away any clearance and is very trim when not in use.
Old 07-05-2011, 03:44 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535xi wagon 6AT

Originally Posted by jwestpro
I'll call and talk with them today to prep for your call.

Couple photos of mine with one of my thule carriers. I use this one more for mtn bikes but the swing out carries 4 without sticking out so far

to see how tight it sets in bumper cover lower edge. Does not take away any clearance and is very trim when not in use.
That is exactly what I'm looking for. I'll probably ask them to weld a couple tabs for chain hookups as well, but the higher mounting point is exactly what I want to retain as much departure angle as possible.

As an aside, I recall reading in another post that you're running taller than stock tires? What size? I'm looking at using a brand new set of 255/40/19 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S I had bought for my allroad. These are 1" taller than stock (27" vs 26") for the 535, but are an approved fitment on the E60 M5. I'm trying to confirm how they will fit on a 19" ET40 wheel? Due to rock chip concerns, I don't want them sticking out too far (I will probably use the BMW mudflaps, unless there's a better aftermarket alternative).

Thanks again for the help with the hitch. Yours looks like the perfect solution - nearly identical to the fitment of my X5 hitch.

Sarge
Old 07-05-2011, 03:57 PM
Senior Members

That is exactly what I'm looking for. I'll probably ask them to weld a couple tabs for chain hookups as well, but the higher mounting point is exactly what I want to retain as much departure angle as possible.

As an aside, I recall reading in another post that you're running taller than stock tires? What size? I'm looking at using a brand new set of 255/40/19 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S I had bought for my allroad. These are 1" taller than stock (27" vs 26") for the 535, but are an approved fitment on the E60 M5. I'm trying to confirm how they will fit on a 19" ET40 wheel? Due to rock chip concerns, I don't want them sticking out too far (I will probably use the BMW mudflaps, unless there's a better aftermarket alternative).

Thanks again for the help with the hitch. Yours looks like the perfect solution - nearly identical to the fitment of my X5 hitch.

Sarge
I'm running 18" 245/45 which are actually 1" over stock diameter, not 27". Stock is not 26", it is 25.7" and mine are 26.7" Not that the additional .3" will be crossing the maximum line, it is definitely getting close. The thing is that it's not simply about diameter but how large the fender space is inside, the M5 has larger space at the front wheels, basically a little wider, but then the tires are also wider.

Based on how mine are, I think the 27.0" diameter would be ok if your ET is not too far out. My wheels are 8.5" ET 29 with the tires being 245/45x18" This tire size also fits perfectly on an 8" rim as it's the size I use on the stock wheels for my winter tires.

ET 40 would pull the rim in but you did not mention the width of that rim, a very important factor in fitting fine vs not at all.
Old 07-05-2011, 04:02 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535xi wagon 6AT

Originally Posted by jwestpro
I'm running 18" 245/45 which are actually 1" over stock diameter, not 27". Stock is not 26", it is 25.7" and mine are 26.7" Not that the additional .3" will be crossing the maximum line, it is definitely getting close. The thing is that it's not simply about diameter but how large the fender space is inside, the M5 has larger space at the front wheels, basically a little wider, but then the tires are also wider.

Based on how mine are, I think the 27.0" diameter would be ok if your ET is not too far out. My wheels are 8.5" ET 29 with the tires being 245/45x18" This tire size also fits perfectly on an 8" rim as it's the size I use on the stock wheels for my winter tires.

ET 40 would pull the rim in but you did not mention the width of that rim, a very important factor in fitting fine vs not at all.
Yes, forgot to mention the width: 8.5" front, 9.5" rear. ET40 on both F/R. Might need 10mm spacers on the rear, with 255 on a 9.5" wheel?
Old 07-05-2011, 04:41 PM
Senior Members

Yes, forgot to mention the width: 8.5" front, 9.5" rear. ET40 on both F/R. Might need 10mm spacers on the rear, with 255 on a 9.5" wheel?
You certainly cannot put a spacer onto an already wide rim. Think about it: take ET 40 - ET 29 = 11mm less offset than my 8.5" rims having ET 29, then add back in 1/2 of your wider rim, 12.7mm (let's call it 13mm). This puts your rim 3mm further outboard than mine, which would be fine with spacers if you ran stock size tires, however you also plan on larger diameter tires, .3" taller than mine even which is a minute .15" on the radius but it can matter when getting close to the limit.

Not lowering your car will make this all just fine, and maybe you could try a 5mm spacer, just for looks, but I am betting the 9.5 rim, offset, and larger tire, are going to combine into looking just right without a spacer.

Which rim did you choose, is it a bmw rim or something else? We'd love to see of course
Old 07-05-2011, 04:43 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2010 535 xi - M Sport Pkg & other goodies

Jwest, would love to hear your advice on the route you think I should go for hauling bikes...

Originally Posted by Lotus99
Hmm... that's a pretty good price for a custom hitch, installed, especially if we luck out and get it cheaper. Do you have their contact info and a name perhaps? A few showed up when I searched for a dealer around Kent.

So do you use your hitch just for your bike rack? I've got a Thule 964 Revolver.

In my situation for a bike rack, do you think I'm better off to get this hitch then, or get roof rails, which would have the added advantage of being able to take a cargo box too down the road? If I had to spend $500 (worst case), I'm thinking maybe I should spend that on a roof mounted system and just sell my bike rack...

PS As a temporary measure, since I'm generally only hauling two kids bikes occasionally, I could use one of those hatch mounted carriers, but I'm worried about it being a PITA to put on and off, and scratching the tailgate, etc. Any thoughts on those?
Old 07-05-2011, 04:50 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2010 535 xi - M Sport Pkg & other goodies

The calculator at the top of this page is handy. Tells you how much your speedo might be off, as well as the impact on the rim sticking out/tucking in.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12
Old 07-05-2011, 05:10 PM
Senior Members

you can also just do the math to get % increase due to size changes but that is a great simple calculator and it helps with offset too
Old 07-05-2011, 05:21 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Lotus99
Jwest, would love to hear your advice on the route you think I should go for hauling bikes...
I like roof type or hitch type for different reasons. I like the hitch for keeping things inside the aero path of the car but you can put more bikes and gear on the roof than the hitch. For example I've had 3 bikes on the roof AND a full 2100 Thule cargo box. Currently I'm seeing how much different my mpg is with bikes on the rear vs the roof. I will say the cargo box and/or bikes on the roof makes a huge difference, and I am guessing at higher speed this actually increases.

There are drawbacks to a hitch style though. Such as obvious tricky access to rear of car. The opening glass makes quick access easier though for small things. I have both the swing out hitch rack and the flat tray type shown above in the thread. I like the flat tray style because it doesn't touch the frame and can allow any frame design using tricky shaped full suspension bikes.

However, the swing away is pretty cool because it can double as a work stand, allowing shifting adjustments while running the drivetrain. The swing away keeps the bikes higher off the ground.

I mainly got the tray style to use with my thru axle downhill bike but that bike actually fits fine on the two arm style swing out carrier, so maybe I didn't need this tray style!

I think if I had three-four people trying to deal with their bikes and access to the car for gear, like at a race or event, roof top is better because the rear is very easy for access without the rack in the way, either type of rack.

Lastly, if you really want to load up for a big trip and have either a canoe or kayaks, a cargo box, and then bikes too, the hitch rack for bikes becomes mandatory. The 5 series wagon could carry 4 bikes on the rear, two canoes, or 2 kayaks and a cargo box, 4 people, a dog or two, etc.
Old 07-05-2011, 05:46 PM
Senior Members

Quick Reply: 2" Receiver Hitch in USA? Also: Wiring?