E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

1,423 miles later...

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 01:03 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 530d M Sport Touring : Carbon Black : Half Leather : Pro DVD Sav Nav : TV : Active Cruise : Front/Rear Parking : Bluetooth Phone : 6 CD : Dark Poplar Wood : Folding Mirrors : 5 year Servicing Pack

Some of you may have been following the tales of woe that have beset our E61. Well I have to say that even after the problem with the suspension was diagnosed and fixed, I was still a little apprehensive about taking it abroad.

As it turned out, it performed admirably and - with the addition of snow tyres and wheels - even the 21 hairpins on the way up to Alpe d'Huez were no problem.

Stopping off at Macon on the way down:

Arriving in resort:

Alpe d'Huez by night:

Not saying it was cold, but...

My daughter's first skiing trip:

An Aronde something or other:

Back home:

Old 04-06-2010, 08:19 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: Jan 2006 E63 650i Sport . Options: Sport version (includes: sport-seats, sport-suspension, M-Sport steering wheel, Anthracite headliner, Shaddow Line), Saphire Black, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood trim, Steptronic Auto, Xenons, NAV-Professional with Voice Control, TV, CD-Changer, Bluetooth, Logic7, Head-up Display, Comfort Access, Seat Heating front, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Extended Auto Air Conditioning, PDC. . Mods: Spacers 5mm front & 15mm rear . Wheels: 20" Alpina Softline (Classic) with Dunlop Sport Maxx non-RFT (255/35/20 & 285/30/20)

you made it there AND back!

Great to hear the journey went well, especially after all your concerns about wheels and suspension. Looks like a great holiday. Thanks for sharing the pics

Did you need the snow chains in the end?

ps. The E61 looks sooo much better than the Audi
Old 04-06-2010, 08:32 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 530d M Sport Touring : Carbon Black : Half Leather : Pro DVD Sav Nav : TV : Active Cruise : Front/Rear Parking : Bluetooth Phone : 6 CD : Dark Poplar Wood : Folding Mirrors : 5 year Servicing Pack

Snow chains weren't needed. Though I think that might have been by luck more than anything. We had fresh snow pretty much every day except for the day we left - and only a tiny bit when we arrived. As I didn't use the car in between, I didn't even really get to test the winter tyres. There were days when we had 6-7 inches of snow by the time we woke up though and I'm not sure I'd have wanted to tackly going down the mountain.

Luckily the apartment came with an underground parking space - so guess which car got tucked up safe and warm...
Old 04-06-2010, 10:45 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Kell
Snow chains weren't needed. Though I think that might have been by luck more than anything. We had fresh snow pretty much every day except for the day we left - and only a tiny bit when we arrived. As I didn't use the car in between, I didn't even really get to test the winter tyres. There were days when we had 6-7 inches of snow by the time we woke up though and I'm not sure I'd have wanted to tackly going down the mountain.

Luckily the apartment came with an underground parking space - so guess which car got tucked up safe and warm...
I was following your suspension saga, glad if all worked out OK. Last thing you needed was a break-down with a familly and fully loaded car.

You decided against the snow-socks ? in favour of snow-tyres / wheels. Can I ask what you paid for snow tyres / wheels. Would be useful for other UK E61 owners to understand what the choices were, how you decided and cost / place to buy.
Old 04-07-2010, 12:52 AM
Senior Members

WRT to the winter tyres, I got really lucky in that someone else on here (Bertolli) got a spare set of OEM BMW wheels and recommended winter tyres when he bought his car.

He didn't like the look of them, so didn't bother fitting them. I bought them for £400 for wheels and Dunlop Winter Sport tyres which, while used, should see another few winters yet.

Because they're not run flats, I then deided to buy the spare wheel kit. I shopped around for a long time, but couldn't find one much cheaper than direct from BMW. So paid £180 (IIRC) for that.

All in all, I got wheels, tyres and a spare for less than the cost of buying new winter tyres to fit the 18" wheels on the car.

Finally, I was going to buy a trolley jack and torque wrench to fit them myself, but my wife didn't trust me. So I paid about £40 to Kwik Fit to change them over.

The only problem with that is that I'm planning on getting winter tyres for the Mini too, so that would mean £80 twice a year to change them over.
Old 04-07-2010, 06:05 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: F11 -14

Originally Posted by Kell
Some of you may have been following the tales of woe that have beset our E61. Well I have to say that even after the problem with the suspension was diagnosed and fixed, I was still a little apprehensive about taking it abroad.

As it turned out, it performed admirably and - with the addition of snow tyres and wheels - even the 21 hairpins on the way up to Alpe d'Huez were no problem.
Lovely pictures... We will introduce alpine skiing to our children next winter - hopefully they... and we! will survive the experience

I'm really happy that your car's finally sorted and thast you could enjoy the trip.
Old 04-07-2010, 06:13 AM
Senior Members

Did the same a few weeks ago.

CPH -> Bad Gastein -> CPH

1,423 miles later...-img_1621_lille.jpg

1,423 miles later...-img_1625_lille.jpg
Old 04-07-2010, 08:12 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: Jan 2006 E63 650i Sport . Options: Sport version (includes: sport-seats, sport-suspension, M-Sport steering wheel, Anthracite headliner, Shaddow Line), Saphire Black, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood trim, Steptronic Auto, Xenons, NAV-Professional with Voice Control, TV, CD-Changer, Bluetooth, Logic7, Head-up Display, Comfort Access, Seat Heating front, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Extended Auto Air Conditioning, PDC. . Mods: Spacers 5mm front & 15mm rear . Wheels: 20" Alpina Softline (Classic) with Dunlop Sport Maxx non-RFT (255/35/20 & 285/30/20)

^^

E60Sim

What's up with the fuel consumption?! Did you secretly buy an M5?
Old 04-07-2010, 08:41 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 530d M-Sport TouringExterior: Titansilber Metallic, M5 mirrors, ACS rear roof spoiler, BMW Carbon Fiber rear diffuser, Adaptive Xenon headlights, AngeliBright v.3 Angel Eyes, F1 Autohaus Euphoria 6000K LED license plate lightsInterior: Black

Yeah. 17.8l/100km for 95km at an average speed of 88.3km/h?
Old 04-07-2010, 08:48 AM
Senior Members

Look at the picture again.

17.8 KM / l = 5,6 l/100 km

Avg speed: 88,3 km/h for the first 95 km = leaving Bad Gastein on smaller roads, the avg speed and fuel consumption increased when I reached Germany !

Quick Reply: 1,423 miles later...