E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

M5 rear seat bar

Old 10-13-2016, 06:05 PM
JNJ
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535xiT
Model Year: 2008
Default M5 rear seat bar

Is the M5 rear sway bar a good upgrade for our wagons?
Old 10-14-2016, 08:47 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
My Ride: E61 with all the mods
Engine: N54

Originally Posted by JNJ
Is the M5 rear sway bar a good upgrade for our wagons?
Upgrade yes, but RD Sport is what you really want to control the mass of the E61 as they are thicker and adjustable.

OEM E50 M5/ E63 M6 front= 26.5mm rear= 18mm
OEM E61 M5/ E62 M6 front= 28mm rear= 20mm
RD Sport (adjustable) front= 30mm rear= 22mm

IIRC RD is about $400 so if you can get a steal on M5 bars it may be worth running them otherwise just get the RD Sports.

Evan
Old 10-14-2016, 11:11 AM
JNJ
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535xiT

I can get M5 front and rear for $150 for both. Seems like a good upgrade for the cost
Old 10-15-2016, 12:03 PM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: e61 / KW V3 / JB4 / M5 Rear Sway / FDL Coded / SAT Retrofit w GKE flash / ER FMIC / BMS DCI
Model Year: 2010

Originally Posted by JNJ
I can get M5 front and rear for $150 for both. Seems like a good upgrade for the cost
A good deal, but I didn't think the M5 front bars fit the AWD wagons.

I haven't tried it, but another alternative would be the Dinan adjustable M5 rear for about $180. I just saw it for the first time the other day, but I'm considering upgrading my M5 rear sway to tune out a little more understeer.

Evan, where are you finding the RD's for $400? Last time I looked, they were listed for closer to $600 and I've heard availability is a challenge. I'd pick up a pair in a heartbeat for $400 though.
Old 10-16-2016, 12:13 PM
New Members

My Ride: e61 / KW V3 / JB4 / M5 Rear Sway / FDL Coded / SAT Retrofit w GKE flash / ER FMIC / BMS DCI

Originally Posted by E61FUN
A German-sourced M5 rear stabilizer on my E61 was a noticeable improvement compared to the M-Sport stabilizer. Still could use more, though I am about to experiment with a removable strut tower brace setup. Dunno if the attachment points for a non-E61 M5 stabilizer are the same... but they're around used, so would save you money.

M5 front stabilizers do not fit US E61 Xdrive wagons, because our front struts are different. The E61 M5 front stabilizer sourced from Europe does't fit either, for the same reason.

Either *might* fit if you converted to the front suspension/hubs from a RWD E60 (528,530,535,540,550), but I am not positive that the links are the same length between the M and non-M struts, although this is more about location of the bar ends/assembly and does not influence stiffness (they aren't pre-loading the bar, in other words).
Yes, I guess I should have said "will not fit" for the sake of simplicity but I don't like absolutes until I prove it's not possible... Knowing the why/how changes the discussion to how much time/effort/money one wants to put into a conversion.

The M-Sport front stabilizer for US Xdrive cars fits, is larger diameter than a standard Xdrive stabilizer, though is not adjustable, as Evan notes ^.
Where do you see this? I just checked real oem again, and I don't see any difference due to M-sport option for the 535. Unless you mean for the RWD 550i, which of course encounters the same fitment issues with our wagons as the M5 bars .

If you want larger diameter and adjustable... you'll have to go aftermarket, but do make sure that you are comparing apples to apples, since OEM bars seem to be solid and some aftermarket stabilizers are tubular, even if adjustable. I have not found torsional data ("twist" in ft/lbs), and that's the bottom line. Tubular are likely lighter, but may not be stiffer when comparing diameters.
This is a good point, and another unknown and major simplifying assumption is that the modulus of each of the materials used in the different bars is the same. But for a bar with the same modulus adjusted to comparable mounting points, the RD rear sway at 22.2mm OD would need a wall thickness of a fraction of a mm (assuming small deflections and no buckling) to have the same torsional stiffness as our laughable 12mm OEM rear sways. Of course, it's far stiffer than that, but it still doesn't need much material to be stiffer than the M5 bar either. r^4 is a powerful reason to go to a lighter, just slightly larger, tubular bar.

And once again, I am reminded that my engineering education has been most useful for car modding and beer brewing

Or, if you're feeling frisky, install a complete Dynamic Drive setup from a 550i. Tells us how that goes.
I started pricing this out a few months ago. Definitely would require some custom work, but because the small market for these parts on ebay, it looked like I might be able to do it for about the same cost as RD sways

So what was the OP's question again?
Old 10-16-2016, 04:09 PM
New Members

I see it on my M-Sport wagon measured with a digital caliper (either 25 or 28mm IIRC). See image of my bar below. Obviously much larger than the standard E60/E61 Xdrive bar, though not as large as the RD Sport's front tubular bar (Evan measured his when I was at his shop, and it was 30mm).

Given that my car was a factory M-Sport, it came with a few goodies, such as the lower rear Xbrace, supposedly stiffer/shorter front springs, and the larger stabilizer bar. My rear bags are not the same part number as the E61 M5 bags, and based on realoem, are lighter by a few ounces (what that means... I don't know). Seems reasonable to wonder if the E61 M5 bags have a higher spring rate. All the rest of the parts in the system are the same (well, save for the trailing arms and a few M5 links).
I have the M-sport wagon too, and your sway bar looks just like mine. According to real-oem, all the xdrive models (sedans and wagons) have the same 25.2 mm front sway bar. It's only the non-xdrive models that see any difference in sway bar size from m-sport package (xdrives and wagons lost a lot of M-Sport goodies). And then, it's only 25.6mm vs 25mm.

I would like to compare measurements of various stabilizers' torsional rigidity against the various BMW M-Sport and M factory offerings... like for like, but I doubt that sort of data exists. I wonder why BMW didn't spec a tubular bar over solid. This is not new technology.
I have actually seen a plot of the RD's in each of the 3 setting vs the M5 bar. I couldn't find it again when I posted above, but I'll keep searching. It allows for MUCH, MUCH stiffer settings.

Plus, I am pretty sure that I would not be able to perceive the difference at the front between my current bar and something with a small increase in rigidity. My body-roll issues are more at the back than the front... and currently compounded because my rear height is still in stink bug mode until I code it down, and procure some scales for a corner-weighing session.

My greater concern at the front was understeer over 50mph due to the limited tire contact patch of 245's, not body roll, which is why I moved to 255/40R 19s at the front.

I will likely futz with camber plates rather than pay a premium for a larger RD Sport tubular front stabilizer, because I think the .06º of camber would be more constant and not add more stiffness, which I don't feel I need (not to mention that there is a strong likelihood that I will have a whole new front suspension in the months ahead).
So it looks like you already have the M5 bar on the rear. The Dinan bar is 21mm and adjustable, so if it's solid and stiffer than the stock M5 bar (which I'd guess that it is), you have another low cost option for dialing out some more understeer.