E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Your almost 1000 mile Godspeed Coilover Post!

Old 08-08-2016, 07:05 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 530xi
Default Your almost 1000 mile Godspeed Coilover Post!

Alright! Since it looks like no one has posted about their experience with these yet, it's up to me I guess.....

Prior to installing these, I had replaced the control arm bushing last summer which helped a lot with some looseness that I was feeling up front. The car was up to 125k miles now and really when I took an offramp or any sweeping corner it felt like the car was riding on slinkys. The body roll was insufferable and uncomfortable and just didn't feel great.

After doing my shopping, I considered just getting some new springs (H&R) but a lot of people said running those on the stock struts would just blow out the struts way faster so when I looked at upgrading to some Bilstein as well as the H&R I realized that package would be similar to the cost of the Godspeed coilovers. I did my research and really didn't feel like I needed the KW 3V - mainly because I wasn't going to spend 1/3 the cost of this car on the suspension system. I was also seeing people say they were seeing issues with the H&R x Bilstein system and I do a fair bit of driving in the snow so I felt that being able to adjust the ride height in the winter would be a welcome option. In addition to that, I did a lot of research on the Godspeed coilovers in general for other cars and talked to some friends. Two things impressed me about Godspeed - they had good ratings among the Subaru community so I felt comfortable with their awd performance and the Honda/Acura community really compared them to a budget version of Megan coilovers (skipping to the end, a friend that installed these with me runs Megans and he was pleased with the Godspeeds in the 5). With this information I went all in and got the Godspeed. Now that you have a ton of unnecessary information about my decision making process -

Shipment was delayed maybe a week or so but when they arrived I was pleased with how great they looked. They didn't seem to be a "cheap" product or seem to skimp in any way. I installed them on my 2006 530xi on June 26 and since then have done just under 1000 miles - I have no pictures of the process but the install was relatively simple. Only hard part was accessing the mounting point on the rears. Was a tight squeeze in the trunk with all the wiring harnesses in that area.

In the end, I lowered the car around 2" and have been running them on the loosest setting and holy crap are they great. In February my lovely Fiance got me the M driving school as a birthday gift and I'm not saying that the godspeeds made my car handle like the M5 but after installing these, driving the car put an immediate smile on my face and reminded me about how well those cars handled. The softest setting on these still rides a little hard but I am still breaking them in. I've had no problems with things loosening up or slipping and the coilovers are super easy to adjsut.

Since installing them, I replaced the sway bar links (i think we may have damaged one of the fronts during the install process) and the horrible noise my stock suspension was making was hiding the noise of some very lose wheel bearings on the rear so I had them replaced as well. I have also installed the retrofit sport mode in the e60.

All in all, I really have to recommend these for anyone seeking a budget friendly coilover option for the xi's. I don't track the car so I cant speak for how well they can hold up to constant abuse but I've done some long hauls (250ish mi a trip) since installing these and the rides are pleasant, comfortable and with the sport mode on some back roads, hella sporty.

leave some questions if you have them! Attached are some post install pics-

right after install - back is pretty low here. had to adjust it after -

Rolling -

With a whole bunch of added weight -
Old 08-08-2016, 09:57 AM
New Members

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535xi
Model Year: 2008
Engine: n54

Thanks for the review.. can you comment on really large bumps or dips.. like the very punishing ones? I'm currently on maybe a year or more on the HR lowering springs, the ride is great for the most part with the stock struts.. except for the really bumpy holes, or dips.. it is teeth jarring... and I feel bad about the ride then. Handling etc has been excellent.. but if I can dampen those big dips and bumps, I'm ready to start switching over maybe next year after winter.. I've had my eyes on the godspeed as well as the ISC.
Old 08-08-2016, 10:32 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by rice_rocket88
Thanks for the review.. can you comment on really large bumps or dips.. like the very punishing ones? I'm currently on maybe a year or more on the HR lowering springs, the ride is great for the most part with the stock struts.. except for the really bumpy holes, or dips.. it is teeth jarring... and I feel bad about the ride then. Handling etc has been excellent.. but if I can dampen those big dips and bumps, I'm ready to start switching over maybe next year after winter.. I've had my eyes on the godspeed as well as the ISC.
I live in Brooklyn so there are a fair share of unforving roads and speed bumps. I wouldn't say jarring but you will feel it if you're hitting something with a 2" pothole. You won't feel like you are gliding over it with ease but I won't say it's a far cry from what the stock setup felt like.
Old 08-08-2016, 01:40 PM
Members

My Ride: A4
Model Year: 2017

Thanks for the review. Provided my car survives its heart transplant, I might get a set of these.
Old 08-10-2016, 08:12 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2010 528i xDrive

do you have yours on the lowest setting? i am wanting about an inch to inch and half drop. mine will be here tomorrow, probably wont be installed until next week though.
Old 08-10-2016, 10:02 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by tylerdh
do you have yours on the lowest setting? i am wanting about an inch to inch and half drop. mine will be here tomorrow, probably wont be installed until next week though.
They aren't on the lowest setting by a good measure. I'm running 17's and I think it can go down about another 1/2" at least safely. When it's sitting normally I have about a finger width gap between fender and tire. When the back was too low i think it was almost 1/2"above the fender but it looked comically low from the back.
Old 09-06-2016, 06:20 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2010 528i xDrive

did you replace the sway bar links with the factory length? trying to find shorter ones to go with my godspeed coilovers.
thanks
Old 09-12-2016, 01:54 PM
New Members

Awesome thanks for the review! More pics!!
Old 09-14-2016, 08:43 AM
New Members

My Ride: Stock 525I Manual

Great choice Lynch. Inspired.

I myself have a H&A Background. I have the Godspeed Mono Maxs on my 97 Civic sedan. It's the best money I've spent to date on a "budget" branded coilover. I've owned many brands over the years HKS Hymper max II's, Function Form type 1 & 2's, Megan Racing SS, J2's, DNA ebay, Tru Hart, and I've ridden in cars with KW's ( I think are junk ), Koni GC (if you play with them and know your stuff you can achieve good results, OTS stuff from them sucks ), Skunk2 Pro C ( good but short lifespan ) and so on. I am planning the same for my wife's e60. Which coilover did you choose? They have 2 available for the e60. The RS and max, I don't want to sacrifice the oem ride quality to much.

- Joel
Old 09-29-2016, 05:24 PM
New Members

Let's see some more pictures!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Your almost 1000 mile Godspeed Coilover Post!