5Series.net - Forums

5Series.net - Forums (https://5series.net/forums/)
-   E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods (https://5series.net/forums/e60-e61-parts-accessories-mods-22/)
-   -   Will an e60 M5 diff fit a non-M e60 (https://5series.net/forums/e60-e61-parts-accessories-mods-22/will-e60-m5-diff-fit-non-m-e60-102881/)

1Slow550 08-21-2018 08:42 AM

Benefits of the Quaife

NEWBIE question.... Im just wondering what the benefits are of installing the Quaife LSD into my 550i sport, would be? I am somewhat new to the whole car world, so as far as some of these additions go I'm clueless as to what benefits and drawbacks they actually do have, yes i could google all day long but id rather approach a group of people with real world experience

ucsbwsr 08-23-2018 08:48 AM

Since I have complete E60 drivetrain fitted to my E61 I will chime in.
First of all at the people saying "stupid question." That's a stupid response.

To OP: Yes, it can fit. How much modification depends on your specific E60 configuration. It looks like you have a 550i so that is great since you are starting with RWD. The diff will bolt up but you will need the drive shaft and the axles. My E61 had some pull rods which required the heat sink to be trimmed quite a bit, not sure what your 550i has down there. The axles and driveshaft are all beefier on the M5 parts so the best way to go about this swap is to get an M5 output flange for your trans, M5 guibo, M5 driveshaft, LSD, and axles. The driveshaft might need to be lengthened/shortened, although there is a change you might be able to make a Franken shaft with 550i front half and M5 rear but again, this warrants more research.

More info on ym setup in my build thread: https://5series.net/forums/e61-touri...ve-all-135223/

I had to buy a NEW M5 trans flange for about $300 but the shaft, diff, axles, new hardware, guibo were all acquired for under $1,000. Factor in a big expense ($550) for my custom driveshaft which is fully rebuilt and essentially brand new, and the complete drivetrain is about the price of these "pnp" LSDs. For me it's a no brainer since I get a strong and complete drivetrain as opposed to a locking diff.

It is important to note the M5 diff has a different internal design than most traditional locking diffs. The M5 uses this Visco-Loc technology which is essentially 2 clutch packs for each side that are activated by hydraulic pressure. The downside of this is these clutch packs can't be serviced which is really frustrating and they require a outrageously expensive gear oil to keep them running quietly. The upside is for absolute grip this design outperms more traditional locking diffs since this can adjust the amount of grip based off which wheel is spinning/hooking etc. Other locking diffs are better for track use and drifting where the lock in instant and consistent, M5 diff is a bit slower to reach and more variable.

For me and my E61 the M5 diff is perfect since I want maximum traction, period. So far I have been VERY impressed with the performance. I converted my E61 from AWD to RWD and was worried about traction issues since the wagon makes 550whp and 530wtq and I limit boost in first gear since but 2nd gear and on are full boost (~24psi) and I only get a chirp here and there it never slips and I never blow off the tires which are a modest size/compound: Hankook V12s 285/35/19. Overall very impressed with the LSD itself and I love having the peace of mind with the beefier M5 drivetrain.

I also swapped my auto trans to manual and the gears are a bit short with the 3.62 FD (something like 3.4 would be ideal for me) but I love driving manual and don't mind shifting gears but I am never going to win any races against an equally matched car with longer gears. Thankfully I built my wagon for driving enjoyment and excitement so winning races isn't a priority.

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/5series...724ff2154c.jpg

Trevon Trey Keene 02-16-2019 01:29 PM

Question I have a 2007 530i when i bought it was was called a m5 conversion because i had the m5 body kit a modified muffler and the tranny had been replaced with what i think is a SMG Trans. "The Transmission gears can be changed manually and feels like a manual gear shift not like a auto tranny. But can be driven auto .With a sport button. My diff started making noise along time ago and I didnt know what it was basically i took it to a local bmw shop in Cali and they stated it was my diff. The current diff that is on the cars part number is a BMW 7523094D and shows its not for a M5. its a standard 530i diff. My question is when replacing igt should i put a new standard Diff ..Or Replace it with a M5 lsd diff if my tranny might be a SMG ? Any help would be greatly appriciated since in miss my car lol

Trevon Trey Keene 02-16-2019 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by ucsbwsr (Post 1596555)

To OP: Yes, it can fit. How much modification depends on your specific E60 configuration. It looks like you have a 550i so that is great since you are starting with RWD. The diff will bolt up but you will need the drive shaft and the axles. My E61 had some pull rods which required the heat sink to be trimmed quite a bit, not sure what your 550i has down there. The axles and driveshaft are all beefier on the M5 parts so the best way to go about this swap is to get an M5 output flange for your trans, M5 guibo, M5 driveshaft, LSD, and axles. The driveshaft might need to be lengthened/shortened, although there is a change you might be able to make a Franken shaft with 550i front half and M5 rear but again, this warrants more research.

More info on ym setup in my build thread: https://5series.net/forums/e61-touri...ve-all-135223/

I had to buy a NEW M5 trans flange for about $300 but the shaft, diff, axles, new hardware, guibo were all acquired for under $1,000. Factor in a big expense ($550) for my custom driveshaft which is fully rebuilt and essentially brand new, and the complete drivetrain is about the price of these "pnp" LSDs. For me it's a no brainer since I get a strong and complete drivetrain as opposed to a locking diff.

It is important to note the M5 diff has a different internal design than most traditional locking diffs. The M5 uses this Visco-Loc technology which is essentially 2 clutch packs for each side that are activated by hydraulic pressure. The downside of this is these clutch packs can't be serviced which is really frustrating and they require a outrageously expensive gear oil to keep them running quietly. The upside is for absolute grip this design outperms more traditional locking diffs since this can adjust the amount of grip based off which wheel is spinning/hooking etc. Other locking diffs are better for track use and drifting where the lock in instant and consistent, M5 diff is a bit slower to reach and more variable.

For me and my E61 the M5 diff is perfect since I want maximum traction, period. So far I have been VERY impressed with the performance. I converted my E61 from AWD to RWD and was worried about traction issues since the wagon makes 550whp and 530wtq and I limit boost in first gear since but 2nd gear and on are full boost (~24psi) and I only get a chirp here and there it never slips and I never blow off the tires which are a modest size/compound: Hankook V12s 285/35/19. Overall very impressed with the LSD itself and I love having the peace of mind with the beefier M5 drivetrain.

I also swapped my auto trans to manual and the gears are a bit short with the 3.62 FD (something like 3.4 would be ideal for me) but I love driving manual and don't mind shifting gears but I am never going to win any races against an equally matched car with longer gears. Thankfully I built my wagon for driving enjoyment and excitement so winning races isn't a priority.

check my question out

ucsbwsr 02-17-2019 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by Trevon Trey Keene (Post 1599031)
Question I have a 2007 530i when i bought it was was called a m5 conversion because i had the m5 body kit a modified muffler and the tranny had been replaced with what i think is a SMG Trans. "The Transmission gears can be changed manually and feels like a manual gear shift not like a auto tranny. But can be driven auto .With a sport button. My diff started making noise along time ago and I didnt know what it was basically i took it to a local bmw shop in Cali and they stated it was my diff. The current diff that is on the cars part number is a BMW 7523094D and shows its not for a M5. its a standard 530i diff. My question is when replacing igt should i put a new standard Diff ..Or Replace it with a M5 lsd diff if my tranny might be a SMG ? Any help would be greatly appriciated since in miss my car lol

It sounds like you bought a car that has some M5 exterior bits but I doubt the owner changed the drivetrain. SMG transmission won't bolt up to the 530i motor so you probably have the stock ZF 6 speed. Your drivetrain is probably all stock as well. I would confirm this with the previous owner and/or a shop. It's a little pointless to discuss compatibility if you are not 100% sure what components you are starting with.

Bmwbeau 12-14-2020 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by ucsbwsr (Post 1596555)

Do you know if it’s easier to swap an AWD e60 to a m5 drive train? Do you think I would still have to fab a driveshaft? Also can I ask how you got all those rear axle parts for under a $1000?!?

ucsbwsr 12-14-2020 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by Bmwbeau (Post 1608415)
Do you know if it’s easier to swap an AWD e60 to a m5 drive train?

Easier than what?

Do you think I would still have to fab a driveshaft?

Probably

Also can I ask how you got all those rear axle parts for under a $1000?!?

​​​​​​​Skills and patience

E60545i 10-07-2023 01:47 PM

How long is the custom driveshaft?
stock driveshafts are
M drive shaft L=1557MM
545i drive shaft L=1617MM
So the custom would need to be the length of the front half of the non M combined with the length of the rear half of the driveshaft of the M (i think?).
In the process of gathering parts for this swap. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

ucsbwsr 10-09-2023 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by E60545i (Post 1619684)
How long is the custom driveshaft?

Depends on what trans you have. I should have the length of my custom driveshaft listed in my build thread but that is for a manual trans in which I fitted an M5 output flange and guibo so it may not be applicable.

The best thing is to install the diff and measure exactly what distance you need for you specific application.
Evan

E60545i 10-12-2023 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by ucsbwsr (Post 1619705)
Depends on what trans you have. I should have the length of my custom driveshaft listed in my build thread but that is for a manual trans in which I fitted an M5 output flange and guibo so it may not be applicable.

The best thing is to install the diff and measure exactly what distance you need for you specific application.
Evan

I have a manual 545i. I was planning on using the M5 guibo and was hoping to keep the output flange stock(benefits to using M flange?).
I have heard of other people creating a drive shaft out of the front half of the 545i and the rear of the M5 to bolt to the diff(where i got my assumption for measurement). Thank you