E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

What's a good air intake upgrade for a 545?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2013, 06:23 AM
DVO
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: stock 545i
Default What's a good air intake upgrade for a 545?

Sorry for the newbieness & I'm sure this topic has been discussed over & over somewhere here but any input, info, suggestions, links on my behalf would be awesome! It'll be my first mod to the car...
Old 04-13-2013, 08:40 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 06 550i
Model Year: 06

RPI scoop and BMC filter, if you have the cash laying around Dinan intake with dual RPI scoops.
Old 04-13-2013, 09:20 AM
DVO
New Members

Originally Posted by ETNav382
RPI scoop and BMC filter, if you have the cash laying around Dinan intake with dual RPI scoops.
RPI seems legit! Are there any pics of it installed?
Old 04-13-2013, 12:38 PM
Senior Members

https://www.google.com/search?q=e60+...MseeiALr_YGYBg
Old 04-13-2013, 12:40 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2004 Dinan 545i, Titanium Metallic Silver, 2007 Dinan M5, 6sp, Silver Gray Metallic

I went with two Mechunik intake scoops with the Dinan intake, $100 for two scoops! Can't beat that price.
Old 04-13-2013, 01:40 PM
DVO
New Members

So it's basically a drop in filter for stock airbox? Are there no advantages to AFe open element?
Old 04-13-2013, 04:10 PM
Senior Members

Not for our NA engine. Since the engine runs hot you will just get heatsoak and an overheat warning. Search the forum for afe and you will find plenty of topics about how it's not good.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:34 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2007 E60 550i Black/Sand. Dinan free flow intake, throttle body, carbon fiber strut brace, and exhaust. Carbon fiber engine cover. Blend mount for a Belltronics RD w/mirror tap. Smoke LED taillights. Projector fog-lites w/HID kit.

heat soak problem is certainly legit, unless you live in the arctic. I ran the AFe on my 550 for 2weeks then invested in the dinan. 40deg F in the AM; no problem. 1 stoplight at 65deg F; I thought my car lost 2 cylinders. I dont even want to think about what an afternoon in the august Alabama heat would have been like, far from ultimate though i can assure. As an added plus... the dinan looks very cool, and the install was intimidating at first, but manageable in hindsight, so much so i even did the throttle body. And seeing as how i had the bumper off i upgraded my fogs to projectors w/HIDs. 4 mods in 5hrs w/a metric ratchet set, a screwdriver and torx bits, and a couple of zip-ties. not too shabby.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:47 AM
Senior Members

Marine, I remember telling you about the heat soak and the Alabama heat, I didn't think it would do it at 68 tho.
Old 04-14-2013, 10:34 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2007 E60 550i Black/Sand. Dinan free flow intake, throttle body, carbon fiber strut brace, and exhaust. Carbon fiber engine cover. Blend mount for a Belltronics RD w/mirror tap. Smoke LED taillights. Projector fog-lites w/HID kit.

Marine, I remember telling you about the heat soak and the Alabama heat, I didn't think it would do it at 68 tho.
I thought I had got a batch of bad gas honestly. I get my fuel from a mom and pop joint in the next town over that sells ethanol free gas. I was about to complain but they're really nice people. So before i did i put my stock box back on w/half a tank left of the same gas. The day I had noticed the issue it got up to about 65 but i dixnt have an issue till i went to town and spent some time at a couple stop lights. after three red lights i opened it up and there was a serious lag until about 20mph when it got back to normal. after i got home from walley world i put the stock box back on, got everything set and then double checked everything. the dash temp said 70 by now. I pulled into my road and repeated the process I did after getting home just to be sure, just before pulling into the driveway. I sat in the road and idled for 5min in drive. let off the brake and floored it. before there was an engine roar but not the usual "glued to the seat" acceleration there usually is when i leave the house in the morn at 6am in 30-40deg temp, felt like i started in 2nd gear is the best i can describe it. with the stock box back on at 70deg, after idling in drive i floored it and things were back to normal, nuff said, experiment complete, 10min later i was on the computer ordering the dinan intake... and some other stuff, lol. I had the dinan exhaust already, the airbox and throttle body showed up a week later. after a low key cruize around my area, i did a check see to make sure all was good under the hood. took it out, idled for 5min in D, disabled the DST like i did when i put the afe intake on the first time
this time i smoked the tires, and after 3 more times i resigned myself to the effect that good money spent does in fact show tangible results

Quick Reply: What's a good air intake upgrade for a 545?