E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Vibrations while driving...

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2006, 12:48 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 1) 2004 BMW 530IAlpine WhiteLuxury PackageNavigation 2) 2009 Range Rover Sport Supercharged

Guys,

Having a big problem with my 20' aftermarket M6 wheels. Ever since i got them, they use to vibrate and shake the car at certain speeds. I never got it fixed, and as time went by, it got worse and worse!! I took it to the shop yesterday, and they ran a road force test on it, which they said would eliminate some of the problems but there always would be some shaking cause the rims are 20's. They also discovered that the rear driver side wheel was missing the hubcentric ring. Im in the midst of ordering one of those, but i was wondering, is that the main reason behind the shaking?

Also, the guy told me that my driver side camber is not working properly and that an allignment will reduce the shaking somewhat. Can i get a free alighnment from BMW even though i have aftermarket rims on?

Lastly, my breaks squeel everytime i hit the brakes....are my rims and tires causing this? Im not getting a message on my i drive screen for the brakes so i am assuming they are working fine!

any kind of help would be appreciated!!
Old 11-10-2006, 02:02 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What brand of M6 167 replica? Miro or Moven? Where was it made? Germany, Italy, Romania or China? Is it TUV certified? Where did you buy it from?
Old 11-10-2006, 03:00 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 525i Jet Black on Grey Interior--- Tint: Sides 20% Rear Windshield 5% Front Windshield 35% Wheels: Zenetti Five's 20" by 8.5(front) 20" by 10(rear)-- Tires: Pirelli Asimmetrico 245/35/20(front) 285/30/20(rear)-- Body: Hamann Full Front Spoiler, Rieger Side Skirts, Rieger Rear Apron, AC Schnitzer Trunk Wing Interior: AC Schnitzer Pedal Set and E-Break Springs: H&R Sport Springs-- Audio: 2 12" Kicker L7's with a Rockford Fosgate 1501bd Amp With Custom Trunk Enclosure SOON TO COME: -M5 Mirrors -M5 Trunk Finsher -Brembo GT Big Brake Kit -Hamann 6 Series Front Spliter Molded -Hamann Roof Wing -Full Custom Sound System with TV's

The ring should help and so should the allignment so once those are taken care of then see if it still does it.. as far as will they give it to you ffor free i don't think so cause I went there with my stocks on and they still charged me
Old 11-10-2006, 03:46 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

You will never get anything free in BMW dealers,
I got 19" wheels so I can not anser the 1st 2 but for the brakes well very comon thing for BMW.
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=31690&hl=
get some new pad like EBC green stuff they are good I just got them.
and no dust at all too.
Old 11-10-2006, 04:49 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 05 530 Titanium Silver/Sexy black

Replica wheels are real heavy and made of poor materials at times, some people get lucky and have no problems or vibrations. Sell the wheels and get OEM or some nice aftermarket wheels
Old 11-10-2006, 05:40 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

Originally Posted by xexyus' post='354706' date='Nov 11 2006, 09:49 AM
Replica wheels are real heavy and made of poor materials at times, some people get lucky and have no problems or vibrations. Sell the wheels and get OEM or some nice aftermarket wheels
yes he is right
I got acs 19" and they have been fine so far for over 5 months now.
Buy the way my 19" were lighter than my 17 stock 1s
Old 11-10-2006, 07:19 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I'm not one to mess with wheels but the squealing brakes might be a result of the brake pad wear sensor issue that we've seen -- BMW has a new (redesigned) sensor that is supposed to solve the problem...
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=32060
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=31690
Old 11-10-2006, 09:37 PM
Contributors

I have to add my very negative experience with replica M5 wheels. The hubcentric rings may be one culprit, but you can never guarantee that it is not something else. I bought some perfectly matched hub rings (exactly 72.56 and 74.1). The rings, however, do not hold the wheel in place, they only center it at the time you tighten the bolts. If the wheel guy does not rotate the wheels while tightening them (i.e., they do not use a torque wrench), the wheels may get offcentered when being tightened.

Some replica wheels do not make for a good fit with the very sensitive E60 hub area. I too noticed that my brakes acted funny when I put on the replica wheels.

I now drive with the original 17" OEM wheels until I figure out my next move.
Best,
Richard
Old 11-10-2006, 10:03 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

monacobmw,
If you go for replica, the only last stop is Wheels and Caps to get 166 style. No other seller can sell that 166 replica with that closed match to OEM in terms of appearance. But, it'd be interesting to know how much it weighs compare to OEM, and how good it is.
Based on wheels and caps reviews by customer on eBay, some replica wheels got positive feedback.

I lean toward Dinan's light weight wheel (I lifted the wheel myself and it's as light as feather). According to Dinan, it weighs only 19.75 lbs compared to the stock 18 x 8" wheel at 31.5 lbs. It saves 40lbs for wheels alone. However, those wheels does not have character like "come and get me" like the case of 166 or 20in Radenergie.
Old 11-11-2006, 07:37 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by my530i' post='354773' date='Nov 11 2006, 02:03 AM
monacobmw,
If you go for replica, the only last stop is Wheels and Caps to get 166 style. No other seller can sell that 166 replica with that closed match to OEM in terms of appearance. But, it'd be interesting to know how much it weighs compare to OEM, and how good it is.
Based on wheels and caps reviews by customer on eBay, some replica wheels got positive feedback.

Thanks for the feedback. I may try Wheels and Caps. I was one step ahead of you on the ebay feedback, as I already contacted those people to see what they had to say. No one has responded yet.
I do have the 19" staggered setup tires with 1000 miles on them (and tire sensors), so I probably will stay with the 19" replicas. If it were not a leased car with only 29 months left, I would go OEM all the way. Plus, I like to change out the tires for different reasons (if I am going on a long trip, and I want the 17" cushy drive).

The next step is to take up the defective wheel issue with Lake Shore Wheels.

Quick Reply: Vibrations while driving...