E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

US Spec guy looking for Euro headlights

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2004, 12:02 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kigerka' date='Jul 4 2004, 01:35 AM
I do not want to give up my Xenons though.? I guess this is one option I will keep.
I don't know if you are writing this is response to my idea of getting the halogen headlights, but I DID NOT mean to imply that you would have to give up your Xenons. What I meant was buy the Euro halogens, take the covers off of the Euro halogens, and install the Euro covers on your existing Xenons. This way you have the Euro look clear lens on your original Xenons.

rodybmw
Old 07-04-2004, 12:04 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by rodybmw' date='Jul 4 2004, 10:02 AM
[quote name='kigerka' date='Jul 4 2004, 01:35 AM']I do not want to give up my Xenons though.? I guess this is one option I will keep.
I don't know if you are writing this is response to my idea of getting the halogen headlights, but I DID NOT mean to imply that you would have to give up your Xenons. What I meant was buy the Euro halogens, take the covers off of the Euro halogens, and install the Euro covers on your existing Xenons. This way you have the Euro look clear lens on your original Xenons.

rodybmw [/quote]
ahhh yes, I understand you now. Good idea it is!
Old 07-04-2004, 12:19 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by zippers525' date='Jul 4 2004, 01:51 AM
Can the lense be removed? I havn't really looked at them yet. If they can then im sure the yellow piece can be removed/replaced. Has anyone tried removing the lense yet?
I have not checked the E60 yet (since I don't have one yet), but all my other BMW's (E36 M3, E39 528i, and E53 X5) the front cover/lens can be removed. I have replaced the covers on my M3 and 528i when they were damaged without having to buy the complete headlight. However, as with the E60 BMW does not sell the cover of the X5 headlight separately (even though you can take the cover off). So perhaps some of the E60 owners can look and see if the headlight covers have tabs that attach them to the back of the headlight unit. If they are like other BMW models then you can detach the covers. Whether you can remove the yellow reflector, and if so what is going to show underneath I do not know. I have looked at the yellow reflector section from up close and it is definately a separate piece, which means that you probably would be able to take it out. It may need to be cut out at the joints with an xacto knife, but it can probably be done. I don't however know how it will look if you remove that piece. It may have a nice look (like the Euro piece with the horizontal lines, or it may have an unfinished ugly look underneath. If you do try it please let us know (and take some pictures)

rodybmw
Old 07-04-2004, 11:08 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Rodybmw, very interesting. I never noticed the difference before. I just went out and took a look at mine and you're right.
I have a German spec e60 and I have the triangular piece with the horizontal lines. Really interesting...
Old 07-04-2004, 11:34 AM
Senior Members

Ok guys im going to try it.

Rodybmw,

Can you please get some TIS information on how to remove the headlights? Also it would be a great help to know if the battery needs to be disconnected. Also, is there anything about the lense coming off?

Thank You very Much
Old 07-04-2004, 01:35 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by zippers525' date='Jul 4 2004, 09:34 PM
Also it would be a great help to know if the battery needs to be disconnected.
Be careful with the battery.
I'm not sure if disconnecting the battery will cause any trouble on the e60's software or the system.
I noticed, that my dealer (when he replaced the battery) he connected the car to a charger/transformer or something to give the car's system power, even when the battery is disconnected.
I don't know if this was just a nice precaution service for me of saving my settings or if there might be any trouble after the battery disconnection...
Old 07-04-2004, 03:48 PM
Senior Members

i asked my salesperson the day that i picked the car. i asked if i could remove the yellow reflectors or simply change them to clear. he told me i have to replace the whole lens. he wasn't sure how much but he said both lenses will be very expensive, definitely over $1k. zippers525, good luck on your project and please let us know if it works.
Old 07-05-2004, 06:53 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

How are the euro lights different?
Old 07-05-2004, 02:23 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by pennetta' date='Jul 5 2004, 04:53 PM
How are the euro lights different?
The triangular piece is different.
Attached Thumbnails US Spec guy looking for Euro headlights-hldiff.jpg  
Old 07-05-2004, 03:09 PM
Guest_Zippers525

Does anybody have TIs information on the headlights and removal instructions?

This would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance

Quick Reply: US Spec guy looking for Euro headlights