E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Upgrade idrive controller

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 10:53 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2012 535i M-Sport

This is a very rough guide to updating your CGATE with WinKFP

Open WinKFP, import assembly line data from 'data' folder for E6x. Enter comfort mode, select enter ZUSB and input 9185636. Make sure CC6260 is the selected module and click OK.

Enter VIN and click OK. Then click done. Click program, it will tell you that the unit can be programmed one time, click ok.

If all data is loaded properly, the update will begin. It will take 10-15 minutes to reach 100% but it is not done at this point. It will hang....and hang....and during this time your CID will turn on and off, you may even get an ABS error on the BC. A window telling you that the unit can be programmed one time will pop up again, click okay and let it again go to 100% and wait, wait, wait. It will again hang and finally pop up a window telling you the programming is successful.

Do your own research of course, but this is 100% doable. Just don't make the mistake I did and flash E60 CGATE data to 9185626 (E9x CCC) or you'll brick it. Each chassis type needs it's own data folder imported from assembly line data.
Old 01-21-2012, 01:25 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How long does the update of CGATE ?
I need an external power supply ?
Old 01-21-2012, 10:14 PM
Senior Members

If you do it right, and configure WinKFP correctly, it will take only about 30 minutes total. You always need a stable power supply when programming, the risk is too high otherwise. Do what NoQuarter taught me, use another running car with jumper cables to the terminals under the hood. I have used a Toyota and a BMW as a power supply with no voltage issues.
Old 01-21-2012, 10:49 PM
Members

Thank's Sublime for this information,
I still have to learn how to configure WinKFP
Old 01-23-2012, 08:21 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Sublime
If you do it right, and configure WinKFP correctly, it will take only about 30 minutes total. You always need a stable power supply when programming, the risk is too high otherwise. Do what NoQuarter taught me, use another running car with jumper cables to the terminals under the hood. I have used a Toyota and a BMW as a power supply with no voltage issues.
If I plug a second battery (60Ah) to the car battery, it will suffice to update the CGATE ?
Old 01-23-2012, 11:35 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by stecom90
If I plug a second battery (60Ah) to the car battery, it will suffice to update the CGATE ?

I wouldn't. Sounds risky to me - the supply of voltage needs to be continual, and even a second battery cannot provide the needed level of consistency.

Just for giggles when I was fixing my CCC today I tried updating the CGATE with the engine running, it failed as I knew it would - but I had to know for sure since some advice dispensed about coding falls heavily on the ultra-conservative side. But this seems to be a pretty low-risk update because even after failing two updates (one because the engine was running and the other due to the wrong ZUSB and a failing hard drive) I was able to salvage the CCC and it is working perfectly.

You don't really have to learn WinKFP, you just have to be good at following directions. The hardest part for me when I first started with the program was importing the assembly line data correctly. Once you get ECU's showing in the list when you select choose ZUSB in comfort mode, you are basically ready to go if your installation and interface are configured properly.

I know I already laid out the basics of the update, but since I did it twice today I will write it out again: (this guide assumes you have correctly imported the needed data into WinKFP)

Make sure you car is in Key On Ignition Off mode with the warning lights illuminated on the dash

Open WinKFP and allow it to ready itself, you'll see the program window get smaller and with most installations the menu options change from German to English.

Choose comfort mode.

Choose enter ZUSB and for E60 you will enter 9185636

Once you kit OK, make sure the first menu in the window that pops up also has CC6360 selected as the ECU family

Hit OK, then click Done

If you get the 7006 PABD EUC address error, this means your interface is not correctly configured. Check your installation and EDIABAS.INI to fix that

If all goes well, you'll see the option to Program present in the new screen. F7 if memory serves

Hit program and OK the pop-up telling you the ECU can be programmed 1 time, it's a lie

You'll see the progress bar quickly shoot to 100%, then the CCC will shut off except for the lights on the face of it

The progress bar will now slowly creep back up to 100%, and once it gets there it will seem to freeze, the CCC will turn back on, your music will play but do not touch the controls - it isn't done

Let it sit, and sit....and eventually you will see the same pop-up as before telling you the ECU can be programmed 1 time, click OK

The CCC will turn off again and it is at this point you may notice errors on the iDrive like ABS and possibly others, ignore them

The progress bar will again go to 100%, just as slow, maybe faster depending on your hardware

The CCC may turn on and off a few times during this process, and once 100% is reached for the second long wait, WinKFP will appear to freeze again

Wait and wait, pace around the car a bit like I do

Eventually a pop up telling you that the programming is successful will pop up and you are done

I found it necessary on both CCC's I've successfully updated to let them go to sleep right afterwards to enable the new functionality of the CIC controller

Close the doors lock it and let it sit for 10 minutes or so, if you have comfort access make sure the key is a few car-lengths from the car

Plug in the CIC controller and if you do not have immediate functionality, go into NCSExpert

In almost any profile but expertmode, read the CAPPL

Open FSW_PSW.MAN and look for ZBE

Make sure it is set to low or low_with_slopes (I have seen these both needed in individual circumstances)

Code the CAPPL with the proper ZBE settings and if all went well, you're done!
Old 01-24-2012, 01:35 AM
Members

It's ok :
(Excuse me but I want to be sure before you start)
Upgrade idrive controller-branchement_batt.jpg
Old 01-24-2012, 12:56 PM
Senior Members

That's how I do it.

I forgot to mention that unless you have configured WinKFP otherwise, you'll have to enter your complete VIN after you enter the ZUSB number.
Old 01-24-2012, 04:43 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 550I,Space Grey,Hud,Cold Weather,M - Sport, matched GP Thunder headlights and Fogs,,Smoked Badges, Night Vision, Heated Seats,Rear Sunshades, Aux Audio, SAT, NAV, Black Grills, Sprint Booster, Dinan Cold Air, Stage 2 Dinan Software.....More to come soon

Silly question here, I just bought a controller and I have a 2008,09 built 550. What do i need besides the controller to make it work?
Old 01-25-2012, 12:40 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by Sublime
Choose enter ZUSB and for E60 you will enter 9185636
Why force a ZUSB? Is there a particular need for that ZUSB. Would a simple update not work?

Problem with forcing a ZUSB is that WinKFP will just do what you tell it and that ZUSB may not be for your regional variant etc. So best to stick with Update ZUSB in which case WinKFP choose the highest version available for your car.

Quick Reply: Upgrade idrive controller